• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pop music superstar Prince has died at his home in suburban Minneapolis

April has been a historically bad month for the music industry. Muddy Waters (1983), Marvin Gaye (1984), Kurt Cobain (1994), Joey Ramone (2001), Kayne Staley (2002), Dick Clark (2012), George Jones (2013), Percy Sledge (2015), Ben E. King (2015), Merle Haggard (2016) and Prince (2016). Every last one of these people were pioneers and legends in the music industry and all died in the month of April. Can we get through the remainder of the month without losing another legend please?

that's an interesting statistic Red, but given how many musical superstars we have lost in say the last 50 or so years, wouldn't the statistics for each month have a large number of musician deaths

For example in March we lost Patsy Cline, (1963) Johnny Jackson (Jackson Five drummer-06) , Surf Rocker Brian Carman (2015) , Dusty Springfield (1999) Danny Kaye (1987), Ronnie Montrose (2012) Glen Hughes (01-Village People), Minnie Pearl (1996) Alvin Lee (2013) Andy Gibb (1988) Marty Fierro (2008) Ronnie Hammond (2011-Atlanta Rhythm Section)
Frank Sinatra Jr (2016) Rick Grech (1990-Blind Faith bassist) John Phillips (2001-Mammas and Poppas) Randy Rhoads (1982), Harold Melvin (1997), Ian Drury (2000-The Blockheads)

There were actually several hundred on the site I found-these were the ones I had actually personally remembered as musicians

I guess the issue is will we lose three celebrities in a row.

April has been a historically bad month for the music industry. Muddy Waters (1983), Marvin Gaye (1984), Kurt Cobain (1994), Joey Ramone (2001), Layne Staley (2002), Dick Clark (2012), George Jones (2013), Percy Sledge (2015), Ben E. King (2015), Merle Haggard (2016) and Prince (2016). Every last one of these people were pioneers and legends in the music industry and all died in the month of April. Can we get through the remainder of the month without losing another legend please?

I think a more compelling stat is that many music stars have died at the age of 27. Of course this does not include Prince, who still died way too young. May he rest in peace.

I think a more compelling stat is that many music stars have died at the age of 27. Of course this does not include Prince, who still died way too young. May he rest in peace.

I saw some site that had a tally of musicians who died from substance abuse vs ones who died in crashes.

it was amazing how long each list was

damn, if we had waited one more day we could have put HIM on the $20. sucks

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! The $3 bill is still my thought.

Like it or not, the man was in the same league as John Lennon, Elvis Presley, Michael Jackson or Andrew Lloyd Weber as a musical giant. Of course his passing is going to get lots of attention just as say the death of any other guy who was a seminal part of his profession would get.

This man sold over 100 million records IIRC and was known around the world. He won 7 grammys and an academy award. this man was not some minor league celebrity.

I know who he is and so does my friend......he was being facetious.....

It's always amazed me how some people are held up as icons by many and ignored by so many more.

I saw some site that had a tally of musicians who died from substance abuse vs ones who died in crashes.

it was amazing how long each list was

I guess it's all part of the "rock and roll" lifestyle. I think you can say that those that died from drugs also "crashed."

I guess it's all part of the "rock and roll" lifestyle. I think you can say that those that died from drugs also "crashed."

yeah or that drugs, in some cases, caused the crash, like that idiotic airplane stunt that killed Randy Rhoads. SRV, Jim Croce, the Lynard Skynard Boys, Patsy Cline, two members of the Allman Brothers band including arguably one of the 3-4 greatest guitarists in history (Duane), Buddy Holly et al-I don't think there was any evidence of those deaths being due to driving, or flying under the influence. Of course touring musicians travel a lot more than many of us and that puts them at risk of death by car or bus or plane crashes

yeah or that drugs, in some cases, caused the crash, like that idiotic airplane stunt that killed Randy Rhoads. SRV, Jim Croce, the Lynard Skynard Boys, Patsy Cline, two members of the Allman Brothers band including arguably one of the 3-4 greatest guitarists in history (Duane), Buddy Holly et al-I don't think there was any evidence of those deaths being due to driving, or flying under the influence. Of course touring musicians travel a lot more than many of us and that puts them at risk of death by car or bus or plane crashes

I was just listening to Jim Croce the other day. One of my all-time favs.

I was just listening to Jim Croce the other day. One of my all-time favs.

not as big a fan, my favorites in that genre were cat Stevens, Tim Hardin, and (though a bit more diverse) Jorma Kaukonen and Richard Thompson but Croce was a major league talent and a great S/S

not as big a fan, my favorites in that genre were cat Stevens, Tim Hardin, and (though a bit more diverse) Jorma Kaukonen and Richard Thompson but Croce was a major league talent and a great S/S

Folk rock? Don't forget Harry Chapin.

Folk rock? Don't forget Harry Chapin.

yeah I happened to attend the memorial festival after he was killed on the LI freeway IIRC. the ones I mentioned are my favorites but Chapin was another major player in that genre. the second greatest folk singer to come out of the newest of the Ivy League Universities

Stevie Ray Vaughan redeemed a decade musically, him and the Clash. Outwith them, I see the '80's as a 10-year 'Rocky' soundtrack.

Stevie Ray Vaughan redeemed a decade musically, him and the Clash. Outwith them, I see the '80's as a 10-year 'Rocky' soundtrack.

I remember seeing an obituary for Joe Strummer and the writer noted that the Clash was about all that rocked during that period where LZ had just broken up after Bonzo's death and U2 and REM were just starting to ascend towards greatness

I remember seeing an obituary for Joe Strummer and the writer noted that the Clash was about all that rocked during that period where LZ had just broken up after Bonzo's death and U2 and REM were just starting to ascend towards greatness

Yeah. To be fair, the bar was pretty high but Bon Jovi and Guns and Roses and umpteen metal bands just weren't cutting it for me.

April has been a historically bad month for the music industry. Muddy Waters (1983), Marvin Gaye (1984), Kurt Cobain (1994), Joey Ramone (2001), Layne Staley (2002), Dick Clark (2012), George Jones (2013), Percy Sledge (2015), Ben E. King (2015), Merle Haggard (2016) and Prince (2016). Every last one of these people were pioneers and legends in the music industry and all died in the month of April. Can we get through the remainder of the month without losing another legend please?

I'd rather go out in Spring myself. I hate summer heat and the drudgery of winter.

So now he's the artist formerly known as alive?

It has been a terrible year for music, first David Bowie, a musician I really loved and now Prince. I first heard Prince on 1999 and Little Red Corvette, great songs for sure but then he made one of the greatest albums ever, Purple Rain. I was not a big fan of his acting and much rather listened to the record than watching the movie. When doves cry, darling Nikki, computer blue, I would die 4 U, the beautiful ones, all great songs but then he made what I think is his best song ever, Paisley Park.

Prince, you will be missed.

It has been a terrible year for music, first David Bowie, a musician I really loved and now Prince. I first heard Prince on 1999 and Little Red Corvette, great songs for sure but then he made one of the greatest albums ever, Purple Rain. I was not a big fan of his acting and much rather listened to the record than watching the movie. When doves cry, darling Nikki, computer blue, I would die 4 U, the beautiful ones, all great songs but then he made what I think is his best song ever, Paisley Park.

Prince, you will be missed.

Paul Kantner too. three major players.

Back
Top Bottom