• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Poor taste or thoughtful fundraiser?

I think . . .

• This is perfectly fine.

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • This is offensive.

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Who cares?

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters

MaggieD

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
A McHenry gun store is raffling off an AR-15 to benefit the victims of the Orlando massacre. Thoughts?

A suburban gun shop is conducting a raffle to benefit victims of the Orlando shooting massacre — and the prize is an AR-15 rifle.
The semi-automatic weapon that Second Amendment Sports in McHenry plans to give away is similar to the gun used in the June 12 Orlando attack that killed 49 people and wounded dozens more in a gay nightclub.

McHenry gun shop to raffle off AR-15 rifle to benefit Orlando shooting victims - Chicago Tribune

Last edited:
Yes or No poll coming.

A McHenry gun store is raffling off an AR-15 to benefit the victims of the Orlando massacre. Thoughts?

Well I guess at least it's not a Sig Sauer MCX.

McHenry gun shop to raffle off AR-15 rifle to benefit Orlando shooting victims - Chicago Tribune

When you decide to raise money for charitable purposes, or otherwise, it is difficult to identify items that are popular enough sell large quantities of raffle tickets. Guns are an item of high demand and really sell tickets. In the end the money goes to a good cause and therefore I can't see a problem. It's a gun store helping the victims and showing their heart is in the right place. Is it an ethical/moral dilemna? I blame the shooter in Orlando, not the guns. No dilemna for me.

When you decide to raise money for charitable purposes, or otherwise, it is difficult to identify items that are popular enough sell large quantities of raffle tickets. Guns are an item of high demand and really sell tickets. In the end the money goes to a good cause and therefore I can't see a problem. It's a gun store helping the victims and showing their heart is in the right place. Is it an ethical/moral dilemna? I blame the shooter in Orlando, not the guns. No dilemna for me.

Yeah, but if it was you or your family member who was shot I would think it would cause all kinds of uncomfortable feelings.

What difference does it make? If you don't like it, don't take part.

I'm a gun owner and strong supporter of gun rights and think thats a bad idea.

They could maybe host a barbecue fund raiser or something that is a little more benign.

Then again, for many it doesnt matter what they will do. It will be either ignored or derided.

I'm a gun owner and strong supporter of gun rights and think thats a bad idea.

They could maybe host a barbecue fund raiser or something that is a little more benign.

Then again, for many it doesnt matter what they will do. It will be either ignored or derided.

Or hell, run a gun safety class?

I mean, really, anything except the exact same model gun that was used in the shooting. Literally anything.

It could be that the owner of the gun store despises homosexual conduct and considers the deaths of homosexuals at that club good riddance, and yet feels sympathy for their relatives. If so, he would have a perfect right to his view, and a perfect right to raise funds this way. An AR-15-type rifle is a very effective weapon that can also be put to good uses.

An AR-15-type rifle is a very effective weapon that can also be put to good uses.

Like defending the lives of homosexuals from terrorism. #ShootBack

Auctioning a rifle to raise funds for the victims of a mass shooting is in pretty poor taste, but gun people have to do something to remind the homosexual community that we are standing with them and not with the bigots who oppress and kill them; trying to raise funds for the victims and their families is a heartfelt reaction, but probably the wrong reaction. I think the better response has been the gun stores and gun ranges that have been offering free firearms proficiency training and discounted weapons to members of the LGBT community who feel threatened. There's no reason for our communities to be at odds with one another.

Like defending the lives of homosexuals from terrorism. #ShootBack

Auctioning a rifle to raise funds for the victims of a mass shooting is in pretty poor taste, but gun people have to do something to remind the homosexual community that we are standing with them and not with the bigots who oppress and kill them; trying to raise funds for the victims and their families is a heartfelt reaction, but probably the wrong reaction. I think the better response has been the gun stores and gun ranges that have been offering free firearms proficiency training and discounted weapons to members of the LGBT community who feel threatened. There's no reason for our communities to be at odds with one another.

My first thought is that any homosexual who had ever felt he was in danger of being attacked or killed could have paid for a gun and training with it, just like anyone else. But if any gun store or range wants to subsidize those things, that's up to them. I wonder how many heterosexuals have claimed to be homosexuals in order to take advantage of the subsidy. How would the owners of the shop or range know?

I don't have a problem with AR-15s but this doesn't sit right with me. I admit there is no rational reason for it not sitting right with me, but humans aren't always rational. And grieving people are even less rational so I could see this bothering them much more.

It is not just a gun thing either. If my kid died from having a grand piano fall on him it would be weird to raise money for me by selling a grand piano.

Or hell, if your kid was run over by a sports car and then someone raised money for you by publicly auctioning off a sports car. The intent is good and rationally there shouldn't be a problem...but it many would be uncomfortable with it.

I wonder how many heterosexuals have claimed to be homosexuals in order to take advantage of the subsidy. How would the owners of the shop or range know?

I'm guessing not enough to dissuade the owners from offering it.

I mean, really, anything except the exact same model gun that was used in the shooting. Literally anything.

They're auctioning an AR-15. The Orlando shooter used a Sig Sauer MCX. The media's just been reporting it as an AR-15 because that's what the liberals want to ban.

They should be auctioning a Mossberg 930. If the bartender had one that night, he could have saved dozens of lives.

My first thought is that any homosexual who had ever felt he was in danger of being attacked or killed could have paid for a gun and training with it, just like anyone else.

So? This is an opportunity to raise awareness and show solidarity with oppressed people. Offering these services makes the gun dealers "the good guys", and that's a perception that all gun people need right now.

I wonder how many heterosexuals have claimed to be homosexuals in order to take advantage of the subsidy. How would the owners of the shop or range know?

Does it matter? The outreach is still worth the money. You think gun shops are cutting their own throats to provide these free lessons? They're giving what they can afford, and a few cheaters aren't going to make up a serious loss.

Or hell, run a gun safety class?

Yea. I really don't care if they do the raffle, they are of course free to do so. But this is in bad taste just as I think it would be in bad taste to raffle off a chevy to fund raise for a family who's little girl was run over by a chevy truck. It's just weird and very tone deaf. It's probably more of a publicity stunt to get people in the doors and to buy other stuff.

it's as appropriate as auctioning drugs to provide financial assistance to the family of the OD victim

What he said. :yt:

My best-friend-like-a-brother (and I mean really like a brother, our mothers each called the other "second son") was murdered by a gunshot to the head from a Ruger Redhawk .44 magnum. I remember the trial where the weapon was prominently displayed by the prosecution, and dry-fired more than once in dramatic replay of the moment of the murder.

I wouldn't have any problem owning a Ruger Redhawk if I cared to spend the money for that style of revolver. The gun itself does not arouse any superstitious dread in me. It is merely a tool, and I don't blame my brother's death on the gun.

I blame the murderer.

Back
Top Bottom