• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Poor Chloe Dygert, she maybe our biggest gold competitor but damned, this is tragic

Peter King

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Chloe Dygert was in Italy defending the world time trial road event championship that she won last year in impressive and unheard fashion. She cycled all the other candidates (among them several Dutch women) onto the scrapheap of second or worst.

She was doing another bang up job until this happened

Her injury was so horrific that I am not posting the image here, but her knee is really really really messed up, plenty of blood and I just hope she will be able to cycle again.

This was so horrendous and even after seeing the image several times I can only conclude she it was a mechanical issue (tire deflating, steering problems) or too much speed and deciding not to take the handlebars and sticking to the aerodynamic position most time trial riders like to stick to but this corner might have just been to steep. The area that was protected was not far enough and she just fell over the guardrail and I am afraid that is where the knee injury took place.

Thankfully she was conscious and able to communicate but she is now in hospital and I fear a large operation will be needed to fix this. This is a tragedy for 23 year old Dygert who was on her way to win this world championship and also wanted to compete in this event and on the track at next years Olympic cycling events. I just hope she makes a full recovery before it is time to start the Tokyo Games.

And for those who do want to see what a crash at close to 40 miles an hour does to a body/knee, you can look here
https://sportsgrindentertainment.co...t-crashes-over-guardrail-in-cycling-accident/

Reactions: Bum
This reminded me a bit of the crash van Vleuten had in Rio at the Olympics when she wiped out, or Evenepoel who also dived into a ravine and Fabio Jakobsen's horror crash into the finish structure at the end of a sprint in the Tour of Poland.

I just hope she recovers from this injury.

Chloe Dygert was in Italy defending the world time trial road event championship that she won last year in impressive and unheard fashion. She cycled all the other candidates (among them several Dutch women) onto the scrapheap of second or worst.

She was doing another bang up job until this happened

Her injury was so horrific that I am not posting the image here, but her knee is really really really messed up, plenty of blood and I just hope she will be able to cycle again.

This was so horrendous and even after seeing the image several times I can only conclude she it was a mechanical issue (tire deflating, steering problems) or too much speed and deciding not to take the handlebars and sticking to the aerodynamic position most time trial riders like to stick to but this corner might have just been to steep. The area that was protected was not far enough and she just fell over the guardrail and I am afraid that is where the knee injury took place.

Thankfully she was conscious and able to communicate but she is now in hospital and I fear a large operation will be needed to fix this. This is a tragedy for 23 year old Dygert who was on her way to win this world championship and also wanted to compete in this event and on the track at next years Olympic cycling events. I just hope she makes a full recovery before it is time to start the Tokyo Games.

And for those who do want to see what a crash at close to 40 miles an hour does to a body/knee, you can look here
https://sportsgrindentertainment.co...t-crashes-over-guardrail-in-cycling-accident/

They should have extended the padding by another 20 feet.

They should have extended the padding by another 20 feet.

I completely agree, they are to blame for this injury, it could have saved her from a big crash but it was also a bit of driver error from what I understand, she should have gone out of the time trial position and should have taken that high speed turn with her hands on her regular handle bar. But I think these kinds of time trials should prevent cyclist going downhill with such dangerous corners.

Back
Top Bottom