• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pomegranate juice- a natural beta-blocker

lizzie

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Recently, my doctor prescribed a beta-blocker for me, due to some stress-related palpitations I was having, and I had what seems to have been an adverse reaction, with my blood pressure spiking up (170's/90's), which isn't a usual effect, but does happen rarely. Because of that, I was very hesitant to take another one, even the newer types of beta-blockers, so I started looking into foods that may have natural beta-blocker effects, and googling turns up pomegranate juice as fitting that description, so I bought some to give it a try. Maybe it's just a psychological effect for me, but it does seem to have some effects for calming me a little. I did notice that drinking it is contraindicated if you take certain types of blood pressure meds (ACE inhibitors for one), so it's something that probably should be taken into consideration, but it has anti-oxidants which are reportedly very beneficial. Just thought some of you might be interested in that tidbit of information. The downside is that it's pretty freaking expensive compared to other fruit juices, lol.

Did it say why it is contraindicated? There could be various reasons.

Did it say why it is contraindicated? There could be various reasons.

I am assuming that it's this:
Pomegranate juice may have additive angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor effects. Blood pressure and potassium levels should be monitored. ACE inhibitors include captopril (Capoten®), enalapril (Vasotec®), lisinopril (Prinivil®, Zestril®), ramipril (Altace®), and others. Pomegranate juice was shown to decrease serum angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) activity and lower blood pressure in elderly hypertensive (high blood pressure) patients.
Pomegranate (Punica granatum): Dosing and Safety

Recently, my doctor prescribed a beta-blocker for me, due to some stress-related palpitations I was having, and I had what seems to have been an adverse reaction, with my blood pressure spiking up (170's/90's), which isn't a usual effect, but does happen rarely. Because of that, I was very hesitant to take another one, even the newer types of beta-blockers, so I started looking into foods that may have natural beta-blocker effects, and googling turns up pomegranate juice as fitting that description, so I bought some to give it a try. Maybe it's just a psychological effect for me, but it does seem to have some effects for calming me a little. I did notice that drinking it is contraindicated if you take certain types of blood pressure meds (ACE inhibitors for one), so it's something that probably should be taken into consideration, but it has anti-oxidants which are reportedly very beneficial. Just thought some of you might be interested in that tidbit of information. The downside is that it's pretty freaking expensive compared to other fruit juices, lol.

Heya Liz
hat.gif
.....I drink the stuff most of the time. Also I use a Pomergranate Vinagrette with a Chicken Salad mixed in with Apples slices and cranberries. Walnuts and or pecans.

Also I drink those Fuse Drinks. With the Antioxidants and certain vitamins in them.

products-fuze.jpg

main.php

They are also good to mix in with drinks. The One I drink most of the time and especially in the Summer is the Peach Mango. Although I am not into the Slenderize versions. ;)

0008079380336_500X500.jpg

Back
Top Bottom