• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Pollution from wine fermentation, etc.

UtahBill

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Read this, and bear it in mind the next time you open a bottle of wine.

http://www.winedine.co.uk/page.php?cid=939

Seems that the wine makers don't want to control their emissions, even tho they could probably do so a lot easier than a lot of other industries.
I think it was 3M that revamped their processes at some of their plants with the idea of using less dangerous chemicals, and recycling the ones they do use, and ended up saving money in the long run. Someone had to make a heck of a sales pitch to the corporate big boys to make that happen.
There are many kinds of pollutants, greenhouse gasses, etc. that we could be dealing with using the best brains among our scientists, a little of the profits from the companies doing the polluting, and some backbone from our politicians. Congress told the auto industries to make our cars burn less fuel, burn it cleaner, etc. and it took about 15 years, but it did happen.
That same kind of action is needed from congress in nearly every industry out there. I can go just a few blocks from my house and see where a small golf cart business has been pouring battery acid on the ground, or a little further to a junk yard where they seem to forget to drain the fluids from the cars before putting them out in the yard. IT is a self pull yard, and I see a LOT of oil, antifreeze, tranny fluid, etc. dumped on the ground. They don't even collect the air conditioning refrigerant. Nearly all of those fluids can be recycled, but unless our government gets out there and fines these companies, it ain't gonna happen.

UtahBill said:
Read this, and bear it in mind the next time you open a bottle of wine.

http://www.winedine.co.uk/page.php?cid=939

Seems that the wine makers don't want to control their emissions, even tho they could probably do so a lot easier than a lot of other industries.
I think it was 3M that revamped their processes at some of their plants with the idea of using less dangerous chemicals, and recycling the ones they do use, and ended up saving money in the long run. Someone had to make a heck of a sales pitch to the corporate big boys to make that happen.
There are many kinds of pollutants, greenhouse gasses, etc. that we could be dealing with using the best brains among our scientists, a little of the profits from the companies doing the polluting, and some backbone from our politicians. Congress told the auto industries to make our cars burn less fuel, burn it cleaner, etc. and it took about 15 years, but it did happen.
That same kind of action is needed from congress in nearly every industry out there. I can go just a few blocks from my house and see where a small golf cart business has been pouring battery acid on the ground, or a little further to a junk yard where they seem to forget to drain the fluids from the cars before putting them out in the yard. IT is a self pull yard, and I see a LOT of oil, antifreeze, tranny fluid, etc. dumped on the ground. They don't even collect the air conditioning refrigerant. Nearly all of those fluids can be recycled, but unless our government gets out there and fines these companies, it ain't gonna happen.

Dude, I don't know if you read the article, but it says that wine making produces less pollutants than cow farts.

And where do you live? Hell?

Dudette, I did read it. And like cow farts, a winery here or a winery there isn't the issue, but put over a hundred in one valley and you get problems. Ever live next to a feed lot or a dairy farm? Or a pig feed lot? I drove past several along a stretch of freeway one summer, and altho they were well off the freeway, the stench was pretty intense.
The post was just to show that anything can be a problem if in enough concentration.
BTW, I currently live in AZ, but moving real soon to far north Utah, almost to Idaho. And I grew up in Texas, near Pasadena, affectionately known as "Stinkadena". Sort of smells like hell, at times.:beer:

Back
Top Bottom