• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Polls in general....

Captain America

Jedi Master
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
I have seen it over and over again. We all have. Anytime a poll reflects an opinion that is different from the political viewpoint of any particular poster, the poll is shot down as invalid.

So I have a challenge to the board. List two pollsters that you feel are valid and fair.

I am not talking about any particular issue here other than to get the members here to validate two pollsters who they feel are fair and balanced and then I expect them to stick to that regardless of what future outcomes these pollsters might reveal.

My guess is that very few will commit to that. For as soon as they list the pollster they count as accurate, and that pollster reports something they disagree with, they cannot come back and change their mind.

I go with Zogby and Rassmussen. They don't always agree with me but they are as valid as any in my opinion.

What say ye? Remember........you gotta stick with it even if it tells you what you don't wanna hear in the future.

Go for it! Double dog dare ya.

Gallup and Rasmussen.

Zogby is NOT valid. His poll results are for sale to the highest bidder.

Kandahar said:
Gallup and Rasmussen.

I suppose it won't be long before someone says the same about Gallup and Rassmussen.

That's not the point of this thread. The point of this thread is to nail down the posters here to two pollsters they feel are accurate.

I intend, in the future, to show that even after the poster has given his seal of approval to any particular poll, and that poll goes against their beliefs, they will poo-poo the poll, even after they validated it themselves.

Just trying to prove a point.

Kandahar said:
Gallup and Rasmussen.

I agree, Rass, has Bush's approval numbers at 43, much more likely the the 34 some suggest.;)

I don't put a lot of stock in any poll - wether I agree with it's results or not.

Polls are just for folks who need their points of view validated.

Arthur Fonzarelli said:
I don't put a lot of stock in any poll - wether I agree with it's results or not.

I agree wtih you.

I just find it hard to beleave that hundreds or a thousand people can represent the views and thoughts of two or three hundred million people.Is every poor liberal a comminist,Is every poor conservative a right wing christian fundamentalist,Is every rich person a greedy businessman who votes for republicans and Is every poor person a democrat voter?

Arthur Fonzarelli said:
I don't put a lot of stock in any poll - whether I agree with it's results or not.

Polls are just for folks who need their points of view validated.
This is also my stance on this poll issue - one should try to read the whole story and discover the truth - good luck on that one !
But if the question is well presented in an honest and unbiased manner, then the results should be considered.
An example is " should voting be mandatory?".

I have never once in 50 years been asked to participate in a major poll of any kind.

How many of you have?

They're all valid and fair. Just ask the people who agree with the results.

Polls are tools pols use to guide their decisions and to shape public opinion. All depends on the wording.

Outside of titillation, polls serve no purpose. Polling has replacing factual reporting. Some how it's become more important to know that 15% of Americans have a favorable opinion of Bush than it is for them to understand the issues.

Someone, don't know who, financed a poll about the local Mobil refinery.

Q: Do you think it's safe for the refinery to increase production? Answer Yes, or No.

A: I don't know. What was the refinery's design capacity? Does any proposed increase exceed this design?

Q: Is that a yes or a no, sir?

A: It's a dumb question lacking needed relevant details for an intelligent answer. I decline to answer.

Q: Oh. Are you an engineer, sir?

A: Yes.

Q: I have no more questions for you. Thank you for your time.

Yeah, that was a real poll. There was more than one question, all of them required technical knowledge the common man lacked, yet for some reason, someone wanted a poll of the ignorant masses to swing a vote one way or the other.

They don't want informed responses. The legal system doesn't want engineers on juries for the same reason. We'll ask the questions they don't want. One of the biggest problems in this country is the insistence that an ignorant population is a valid decision making body.

Scarecrow Akhbar said:
They're all valid and fair. Just ask the people who agree with the results.

Polls are tools pols use to guide their decisions and to shape public opinion. All depends on the wording.

Outside of titillation, polls serve no purpose. Polling has replacing factual reporting. Some how it's become more important to know that 15% of Americans have a favorable opinion of Bush than it is for them to understand the issues.

Someone, don't know who, financed a poll about the local Mobil refinery.

Q: Do you think it's safe for the refinery to increase production? Answer Yes, or No.

A: I don't know. What was the refinery's design capacity? Does any proposed increase exceed this design?

Q: Is that a yes or a no, sir?

A: It's a dumb question lacking needed relevant details for an intelligent answer. I decline to answer.

Q: Oh. Are you an engineer, sir?

A: Yes.

Q: I have no more questions for you. Thank you for your time.

Yeah, that was a real poll. There was more than one question, all of them required technical knowledge the common man lacked, yet for some reason, someone wanted a poll of the ignorant masses to swing a vote one way or the other.

They don't want informed responses. The legal system doesn't want engineers on juries for the same reason. We'll ask the questions they don't want. One of the biggest problems in this country is the insistence that an ignorant population is a valid decision making body.

Scarecrow, you have really hit the "truth nail" !
I do believe the "powers that be" fear "the truth"..

In my opinion polls are basicly useless.........

Unless, of course, they conveniently support your opinion, right?

Navy Pride
Unlike this left wing leaning forum Americans strongly support President Bush when it comes to wiretapping without obtaining a warrant first........

http://newsmax.com/archives/ic/2006/...752.shtml?s=ic

Americans overwhelmingly support President Bush's decision to wiretap suspected terrorists operating inside the U.S. without first obtaining a court order - and a solid plurality believe those who leaked news of the secret operation are "traitors," a Fox News Opinion Dynamics poll has found.

Newsmax.....:rofl

That's ok though. Everybody does it. And everybody dismisses any poll that doesn't align with their opinion. That being said, I imagine you really do not give too much regard to very many polls.

Go Navy!

Captain America said:
Unless, of course, they conveniently support your opinion, right?

Newsmax.....:rofl

That's ok though. Everybody does it. And everybody dismisses any poll that doesn't align with their opinion. That being said, I imagine you really do not give too much regard to very many polls.

Go Navy!

I believe that was a Fox News Dynamic poll......I don't believe Newsmax runs polls................And as far as that subject goes Fox is not the only one that polled that way my liberal friend......

Navy Pride said:
I believe that was a Fox News Dynamic poll......I don't believe Newsmax runs polls................And as far as that subject goes Fox is not the only one that polled that way my liberal friend......

I'm sure you're right. I wouldn't know. Click on the link it takes you to NewsMax and says Page is not Available.

NewsMax is about as credible as MoveOn.org in my opinion. Fox ain't much better. But that's probably just because I disagree with their agenda. I'll admit that.

Back
Top Bottom