• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Poll: Was desegregation the act of activist judges?

Was desegregation the act of activist judges?

• Yes

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • No

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters

aps

Passionate
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/28/AR2005102801812.html

When the Montgomery Improvement Association, led by a 26-year-old preacher, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., tried to negotiate a bus desegregation plan with the city commission and the bus company, all it got in return was resistance -- oh, yes, and a stick of dynamite thrown into King's home. Thus the lawsuit.

Alabama argued then, as do conservatives today, that courts have no business second- guessing decisions of states and cities that are acting within their own laws. But the Supreme Court, looking at the Constitution, saw something else. True, there was not one word in the Constitution about the operation of bus companies or the seating of passengers. But "activist" high court justices, bless their souls, examining the due process and equal protection clauses of the 14th Amendment, found violations of the rights of black passengers that Alabama was either too blind or too unrepentant to see.

Yes or no? What do you think?

Perhaps but who cares? Does anyone here really think that blacks should have to sit at the back of the bus and give up their seat for a white person?

FinnMacCool said:
Perhaps but who cares? Does anyone here really think that blacks should have to sit at the back of the bus and give up their seat for a white person?

I care--it's why I asked. I am curious to know the opinion of those who criticize what they perceive as "activist" judges.

aps said:
I care--it's why I asked. I am curious to know the opinion of those who criticize what they perceive as "activist" judges.

Well, you see there are good activist and bad activist judges. The good ones agree with what they want and the bad ones don't.....:doh ....:rofl

Excellent point aps.

It's interesting that those who I have seen complain about liberal activist judges do not want to touch this question with a 10-foot poll.

aps said:
It's interesting that those who I have seen complain about liberal activist judges do not want to touch this question with a 10-foot poll.

Alphamale answered the question as straightforwardly as possible. I second his answer, by the way.

Back
Top Bottom