• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Poll : Should voting be Mandatory ?

Should voting be mandatory?

• yes

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • no

Votes: 25 86.2%

• Total voters
Re: Poll : Should voting be Manitory ?

Navy Pride said:
I don't care how great the minds are......Like I said if you volunteerily don't vote then just shut up...........Voting is what this country is supposed to be about........
I thought that this country was about freedom.

Why must I be silent? Why can't I protest? Why can't I contact my Rep. about an issue? Why can't I sign a petition? Why can't I exchange ideas with others?

Now focus like a laser beam: Pinpoint exactly where and how you establish casting a vote as a requirement to exercise the first amendment.
Source your answer.

My simple view on this is that government should by no means force us to do anything unless it means paying (hopefully low) taxes. Now, there are some things they should be able to prevent us from doing, like murder, stealing, rape, and big crimes like that, but they should never force us to do anything. Freedom is just as much about not having to do something as it is about being able to.

Busta said:
I thought that this country was about freedom.

Why must I be silent? Why can't I protest? Why can't I contact my Rep. about an issue? Why can't I sign a petition? Why can't I exchange ideas with others?

Now focus like a laser beam: Pinpoint exactly where and how you establish casting a vote as a requirement to exercise the first amendment.
Source your answer.

You don't have a rep..you did not vote......
You are not a registered voter so your signature would be void on a petition......

If you can't take the time to vote who would want to hear your whinning?

A vote is a very precious commodity my friend........Think about it.............

Navy Pride said:
You are not a registered voter so your signature would be void on a petition......

A vote is a very precious commodity my friend........Think about it.............

What if he didn't like any of the candidates? :confused:

Navy Pride said:
I don't care how great the minds are......Like I said if you volunteerily don't vote then just shut up...........Voting is what this country is supposed to be about........

As far as people that are to young to vote that is the law and they are not voting volunteerily...........huge difference.......

Some people feel that not voting is making just as much of a statement as going to the polls would.

Some people can legally vote, but are not physically able to do so.

Some people are not allowed to leave their place of employment on Election Day long enough to make their voice heard.

Since voting ISN'T mandatory, why should these people have to shut up? They're still covered under the First Amendment.

Navy Pride said:

Since when do you have to be a registered voter to sign a petition? That's news to me.....

Stace said:
Some people feel that not voting is making just as much of a statement as going to the polls would.
Then they forfit their right to bitch about the system if they are not going ot participate in it.

Some people can legally vote, but are not physically able to do so.

Some people are not allowed to leave their place of employment on Election Day long enough to make their voice heard.

Since voting ISN'T mandatory, why should these people have to shut up? They're still covered under the First Amendment.

How can you bitch about politics,taxes,judicial nominations, and so on if you did not participate in the voting process?It amazes how many people bitch about these things but they do not participate or some people only participate once every fours years to elect a president but hardly vote in any local elections.

jamesrage said:
Then they forfit their right to bitch about the system if they are not going ot participate in it.

How can you bitch about politics,taxes,judicial nominations, and so on if you did not participate in the voting process?It amazes how many people bitch about these things but they do not participate or some people only participate once every fours years to elect a president but hardly vote in any local elections.

Who said anything about bitching? Not me....You can still have an opinion on political issues even if you don't vote. Having an opinion does not equal bitching.

Voting is a right. It's the citizens right to choose if they wish to excercise it. While I tend to think its sad when they don't, its perhaps better that way because there are a ton of uneducated voters out there.

Stace said:
And again....having an opinion about something is not the same as bitching.

See, the word opinion isn't there at all.

complain
1 : to express grief, pain, or discontent
2 : to make a formal accusation or charge

jamesrage said:
complain

dictionary.com said:
Main Entry: opin·ion
Pronunciation: &-'pin-y&n
Function: noun
1 a : a belief stronger than impression and less strong than positive knowledge b : a formal expression of a judgment or appraisal by an expert —see also opinion testimony at TESTIMONY —compare FACT
2 a : advice or evaluation regarding the legal issues involved in a situation given by an attorney to a client <an opinion of title> called also legal opinion —see also opinion letter at LETTER 1 b : an advisory opinion issued by an authorized public official (as an attorney general) or a recognized body (as the American Bar Association)
3 a : the formal written expression by a court or judge of the reasons and principles of law upon which the decision in a case is based

Hmm...still don't see the word complain in there. Opinions CAN be positive, ya know.

Stace said:
Hmm...still don't see the word complain in there. Opinions CAN be positive, ya know.

How do you think Bush is handling the war in Iraq and Afganistan?

jamesrage said:
How do you think Bush is handling the war in Iraq and Afganistan?

Quite frankly, I think he's doing a crappy job. But see, that's my opinion. There are some people that think he's doing a great job, and that's their opinion. And with that, you are covering both sides of the spectrum.

Stace said:
Quite frankly, I think he's doing a crappy job. But see, that's my opinion. There are some people that think he's doing a great job, and that's their opinion. And with that, you are covering both sides of the spectrum.

What you just expressed was a complaint.

complain

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/thesaurus?book=Thesaurus&va=discontent&x=10&y=25

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/grief

jamesrage said:
What you just expressed was a complaint.

complain

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/thesaurus?book=Thesaurus&va=discontent&x=10&y=25

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/grief

No, let's try this again:

dictionary.com said:
Main Entry: opin·ion
Pronunciation: &-'pin-y&n
Function: noun
1 a : a belief stronger than impression and less strong than positive knowledge b : a formal expression of a judgment or appraisal by an expert —see also opinion testimony at TESTIMONY —compare FACT
2 a : advice or evaluation regarding the legal issues involved in a situation given by an attorney to a client <an opinion of title> called also legal opinion —see also opinion letter at LETTER 1 b : an advisory opinion issued by an authorized public official (as an attorney general) or a recognized body (as the American Bar Association)
3 a : the formal written expression by a court or judge of the reasons and principles of law upon which the decision in a case is based

I believe that Bush is doing a crappy job. I hold no grief over this; it does not give me deep mental anguish, nor does it particularly annoy or frustrate me. It causes me pain of no kind; the closest you can come to me complaining is the fact that I am dissatisfied with Bush, but I am not going around saying how I am dissatisfied, nor how much, I am merely stating that I think he is doing a crappy job. Opinion is mainly based upon ones thoughts; complaints are mainly based on how something makes you feel.

It is my opinion that if I had said I think Bush is doing a great job, you would have had nothing more to say on the matter.

Last edited:

Stace said:
No, let's try this again:
I believe that Bush is doing a crappy job.
Which that is your complaint.

It is my opinion that if I had said I think Bush is doing a great job, you would have had nothing more to say on the matter.

It would not be complaining and therefore it would not be bitching.Because it is the opposite of complain.

The point me and others are trying to make is how are you going to complain about a problem when you have every oportunity to fix it or try to fix the problem.

Last edited:

jamesrage said:
Which that is your complaint.

It would not be complaining and therefore it would not be bitching.Because it is the opposite of complain.

The point me and others are trying to make is how are you going to complain about a problem when you have every oportunity to fix it or try to fix the problem.

And the point I'm trying to make is that not everyone that has an opinion on an issue is complainging that there is something wrong with that issue. I don't like Bush; I did my part by voting against him in '04 (I wasn't quite old enough to vote in '00). My husband doesn't like Bush, but he couldn't vote because he was in PLDC. Does that make his opinion any less valuable? No.

AlbqOwl said:
Our constitution prevents any vote that would prohibit have nots from becoming haves.

It does? It permits the elites to take 15.4% of my paycheck to pay for the retirement of any person over 65, the preventing me from investing that money and earning a far greater return the Social Security will, and preventing me from passing that saved capital on to my heirs, which would certainly help them become "haves", also.

And that's only the FICA tax. Another 10% is wasted on other unconstitutional entitlement spending, further assuring the elites that the have nots will have a most difficult time climbing the ladder.

Stace said:
And the point I'm trying to make is that not everyone that has an opinion on an issue is complainging that there is something wrong with that issue. I don't like Bush; I did my part by voting against him in '04 (I wasn't quite old enough to vote in '00).

You do have a right to bitch because you did do your part.Someone who does nothing when they have the oportunity forfits any reason for complaining.
My husband doesn't like Bush, but he couldn't vote because he was in PLDC. Does that make his opinion any less valuable? No.
Since I was never a NCO, I can not make an opinion on that.Although I do find it hard to beleave that troops in Iraq were able to vote but not soldiers attending pldc.

Last edited:

Busta said:
In context, I was only referring to the Presidential election from which I abstained, and no other.

What instrumint establishes this idea that the self evident right to free speech must be earned? Does not "equal" mien "reason", and not "voted"? Do my tax dollars mien nothing? Does my citizenship mien nothing?

Is not the idea that someone who does not vote on a given issue, thus looses their right to speak on said issue in the future, synonymous with the idea of second class citizens?

It has been established in America that some people are more equal then others ("Hate Crime" legislation), are you now in favor of some people being less-equal then others?
Surly this is not so, yet your post insinuates otherwise.

What source of morality inspires you to believe that when I exercise my Constitutional right to not vote, that I have somehow given up my moral authority? Is not "moral authority" self evident, showing itself through the words and deeds of one's life? Is not one such piece of self-evidence my telling the truth? "I do not support either candidate."

I must now lie at the voting booth by falsely showing support for a given candidate in order to be seen as having "moral authority"?

Exactly what kind of oxymoron is that; that I must lie in order to be seen with moral authority?; a contradiction in terms?; an adjective–noun?
Does not that lie divorce me from the very moral authority which you claim I would be giving up?

What sort of symbol is this opinion of yours?

If you will read my post in its full context you will see that I was referring to moral authority, not legal authority. There is a difference, and I know you know what the difference is.

Navy Pride said:

Aside from the fact that the only election that I did not vote in was the last Presidential election......saying nothing for my state reps. or local government.....

Let me get this straight: You are basing your personal conclusion on reputation? You would only see the value of the content of what I have to say if I had lied at the voting booth? Does not such a lie negate any reputation that I would have had anyway?

My friend, I will not bear false witness to myself in public or privet, and that includes the ballot box.

As for "whining", you have yet to disregard what I have said on abortion and gay-marriage threads as "whining". Instead, history shows that you and I agree on most issues; but now you would abandon an ideological ally because I chose not to vote for the last Pres.?

Surly you did not learn that in the Navy.

Would it really make that much of a difference to you if I had voted for Mickey Mouse? What tangable difference, if any, is there between voting for a cartoon charactor and abstaining my vote?

Besides, both parties have found enough dead and/or nonexistent and/or illegal alien voters to suit their needs.
So, to a degree, I am a "disenfranchised voter".

AlbqOwl said:
If you will read my post in its full context you will see that I was referring to moral authority, not legal authority. There is a difference, and I know you know what the difference is.
*Ahem*
Busta said:
.....What source of morality inspires you to believe that when I exercise my Constitutional right to not vote, that I have somehow given up my moral authority? Is not "moral authority" self evident, showing itself through the words and deeds of one's life? Is not one such piece of self-evidence my telling the truth? "I do not support either candidate."

I must now lie at the voting booth by falsely showing support for a given candidate in order to be seen as having "moral authority"?

Exactly what kind of oxymoron is that; that I must lie in order to be seen with moral authority?; a contradiction in terms?; an adjective–noun?
Does not that lie divorce me from the very moral authority which you claim I would be giving up?

What sort of symbol is this opinion of yours?

If you would read my post in it's full context, you will see that I did address moral authority.

The legal aspect comes into play because this thread is discussing
"Should voting be Mandatory?" As in legally mandatory.

In addition to not answering any of my questions, you and Navy have yet to source the foundation of your personal conclusions.

Do you believe, like Navy, that the first Amendment should not apply to me when I do not vote because my not lieing at the voting booth negates my "reputation"?

If so, that's fine. Let's explore that.
What instrumint establishes "reputation"? How is it legally defined? What are it's attributes? How is "reputation" taken from the Constitution?

Having an opinion is one thing, but since we are discussing potential legislation, "because I say so" holds no water. You must reinforce yourself with law.

Busta said:
*Ahem*

If you would read my post in it's full context, you will see that I did address moral authority.

The legal aspect comes into play because this thread is discussing
"Should voting be Mandatory?" As in legally mandatory.

In addition to not answering any of my questions, you and Navy have yet to source the foundation of your personal conclusions.

Do you believe, like Navy, that the first Amendment should not apply to me when I do not vote because my not lieing at the voting booth negates my "reputation"?

If so, that's fine. Let's explore that.
What instrumint establishes "reputation"? How is it legally defined? What are it's attributes? How is "reputation" taken from the Constitution?

Having an opinion is one thing, but since we are discussing potential legislation, "because I say so" holds no water. You must reinforce yourself with law.

The First Amendment is based on legal principles. My opinion was based on a principle of moral authority. Apparently you don't know the difference.

And am I to be excoriated for exercising my right to free speech because I look at the issue presented in the topic from a perspective different from yours?

I have stated my reasons for limiting the vote in certain circumstances while fully acknowledging the logistical difficulty in implementing what I think should be the law.

I do not believe NavyPride has suggested nor have I suggested that it should be mandatory to vote; in fact I have quite adamently expressed my opinion that those who don't know who or what they are voting for should not vote. Nor have either of us presumed to inhibit your First Amendment rights to free speech.

What I have said (and I think he said though he can speak for himself) is that those who, whether by choice or by ignorance, do not exercise their right to vote have abdicated their moral authority to bitch about the outcome of the election. Nobody has said you can't go ahead and do it. But those who don't exercise their right to vote are simple whistling in the wind with their complaints. They had a chance to make a difference and chose not to do that.

Back
Top Bottom