• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Poll : Should voting be Mandatory ?

Should voting be mandatory?

• yes

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • no

Votes: 25 86.2%

• Total voters
Re: Poll : Should voting be Manitory ?

earthworm said:
Yes ! But to do this a ton of reform is necessary.

I used to think that voting should be mandatory but I think it is much to have voting as a option for people.At least this way the people who do vote do so because they care enough about the issues or at least who runs this country to take the time to go down to a polling station and vote .

I think voting is a privilege and should not be mandatory.......That said anyone that does not vote should shut the hell up about his or her political beliefs........

Navy Pride said:
I think voting is a privilege and should not be mandatory.......That said anyone that does not vote should shut the hell up about his or her political beliefs........

Now, that's not very nice. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and that includes politics. I've heard some great political ideas from people that don't vote.

Now, as far as bashing political officials, such as the President, well, yeah, that's the only time I'd say shut up if you didn't vote.

But I'm good on all aspects because I DO vote. :mrgreen:

AlbqOwl said:
Nobody votes to increase welfare benefits - we elect representatives to do that. So, no doubt, the welfare recipients will vote for the one who pledges to help them; the people who think welfare policies are bad will vote for the one who pledges to reform them, etc.

But if it is going to come out of my pocket to vote for the school bond or whatever and it will cost you nothing because you don't pay the taxes that will be effected, I should be the one to vote.

I seem to recall a referendum on welfare from a few years ago in my state, but I suppose the issue being voted on doesn't matter. With regards to the second bit, though, what you are suggesting is more moneyocracy than democracy. Those with money will not usually want to give it away to those without no matter what sort of package the present is to be sent in (school bond, welfare; as above, it matters not). On economic referendums, then, the purse strings would almost certainly be greatly tightened, which, I think, could strangle all sorts of dependent groups.

The many can beat the few, but they have to look after them after that, or else they deprive themselves of the freedom to win in that way. If the majority is freed from its responsibilities to the minority, the minority is effectively eliminated. Voila: one-party system.

Kelzie said:
It would be very dangerous to the political process to make them pick a random candidate.

True. I think most of them would vote Democrat. Clearly a disaster in the making.

I would vote yes on this poll if the ballots included a "none of the above" option, but then again, that's what people are voting when they don't vote, so why bother?

How the can a free country force it's citizens to vote?

Voting ain't a right, it's a privilege, and right now too many hold that priviledge.

People that can't read can vote?
People that can't speak english can vote?
People that don't pay taxes get to vote on how they're spent?

The current system makes sense only from an incumbent protection standpoint.

Last edited:
Kelzie said:
But why is that? If a generation of homeowners wants to raise the property tax to 50% and I am buying a home in 6 months, why should I not be allowed to vote on it?

Well, yes, of course. You vote by not buying a house in that district. Oh, and how often do the taxpayers vote to raise the taxes? Usually it's the freeloaders seeking another freebie outvoting the poeple that have to pay for.

See how much simpler things would be if we went back to the Constitution and limited government and spending?

Kelzie said:
I see where you're coming from. Really I do. Here's my thing. Most voting people vote on presedential elections. Voting on property tax increase is like, what, maybe 20% of the population? I can promise that the people voting on it are either property owners themselves, or educated enough to extrapolate what tax they will want when they own property. It is unfair to deny them the vote on something that will most definitely affect them in the future.

Denying them what? We vote on the same congressmen every other year, (yeah, I know they're supposed to change but they don't, much), we have a chance at the crooks in the senate every six years, and the president gets to be a target every fourth year.

Just so, property taxes and spending aren't written in stone...well okay, property taxes and spending always go up, but technically the newbie in the housing market will get a chance to vote on bond issues and representatives when the particular subjects come up for review, so it's not like they won't have the chance to have their say once they've earned the privilege to be heard.

Sacramento once had a school bond measure voted on and passed because the public wasn't informed of it's existence. The Democrats were pleased as a cat in the hamster cage because they won an election by deceit.

So people receiving money from the government shouldn't be allowed to vote either. Want to vote? Be productive.

AlbqOwl said:
It costs the non property owner nothing to vote yes so most do.

That's not true. Property taxes are passed on to tenants via higher rent. But most tenants are too dumb to see this. Taxes on business always get passed on to the consumer. Makes business taxes dumb.

Stace said:
Now, that's not very nice. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and that includes politics. I've heard some great political ideas from people that don't vote.

Now, as far as bashing political officials, such as the President, well, yeah, that's the only time I'd say shut up if you didn't vote.

But I'm good on all aspects because I DO vote. :mrgreen:

If you don't like a politician's politics get out and vote him or her out of office......

Navy Pride said:
I couldn't agree more.

Besides, we need more of a working definition of "mandatory voting" for this really to get rolling. Does mandatory voting include felons? Local elections? People who are in vegetative states or developmentally disabled? The elderly who have Alzheimers?

It'd be nice if everyone wanted to vote. It'd be even better if folks were more educated as to what's going on to. I'd work on the latter as it should have a correlation with the former.

Stupiderthanthou said:
I seem to recall a referendum on welfare from a few years ago in my state, but I suppose the issue being voted on doesn't matter. With regards to the second bit, though, what you are suggesting is more moneyocracy than democracy. Those with money will not usually want to give it away to those without no matter what sort of package the present is to be sent in (school bond, welfare; as above, it matters not). On economic referendums, then, the purse strings would almost certainly be greatly tightened, which, I think, could strangle all sorts of dependent groups.

The many can beat the few, but they have to look after them after that, or else they deprive themselves of the freedom to win in that way. If the majority is freed from its responsibilities to the minority, the minority is effectively eliminated. Voila: one-party system.

I have thought about this for awhile and cannot accept the analogy that you present. If the party in power does not take care of business, they will be voted out and another party comes to power. That is how Republics work and are supposed to work when democratic principles are in place and enforced.

But if the have nots are allowed to confiscate at will the property of the haves, then before long the haves are also have nots and you have another third world government where most of the wealth is in the hands of despotic warlords who don't care about anybody else.

The way it should work is that government makes it as possible for the have nots to become haves too. The have nots will become haves by providing needed goods and services, increasing the GDP and individual wealth. Meanwhile, those who pay the taxes are usually the haves who hold the keys enabling others to become haves, and they should be the ones to vote on how much of it they wish to contribute to the common good.

Again, once people are able to vote themselves benefits at the expense of others, the general prosperity of the nation will suffer in varying degrees. In the long run, that will eventually hurt everybody.

Our constitution prevents any vote that would prohibit have nots from becoming haves. And it once was interpreted to prevent confiscation of private property once it was legally acquired. I would very much like to see us get back to that principle and that would require taking another look at who should be allowed to vote.

Navy Pride said:
If you don't like a politician's politics get out and vote him or her out of office......

I didn't disagree with that, did I? I was simply saying that there are some great political minds out there that choose not to exercise the right to vote, and some that are even too young to vote. That does not make their views any less important.

earthworm said:
Yes ! But to do this a ton of reform is necessary.
No. To make voting mandatory would be too violate one's freedom of speech.

Forcing someone to say or express something is the same as preventing someone from saying or expressing something.

Besides, if I were forced to vote, I would vote for Mickey Mouse every time.

Scarecrow Akhbar said:
True. I think most of them would vote Democrat. Clearly a disaster in the making.
I would vote yes on this poll if the ballots included a "none of the above" option, but then again, that's what people are voting when they don't vote, so why bother?
How the can a free country force it's citizens to vote?
Voting ain't a right, it's a privilege, and right now too many hold that priviledge.
People that can't read can vote?
People that can't speak english can vote?
People that don't pay taxes get to vote on how they're spent?
The current system makes sense only from an incumbent protection standpoint.
YES!!
Exactly.
Thank you.

In the last Presidential election I abstained my vote because (aside from my conspiracy theories) I didn't care for either candidate. The Democrat Primaries stood witness to the fact that Bush was going to get a second term.

I mien, come on....Kerry? Of all people? Kerry? Kerry was nothing more than a token effort by the Dem.s' so as to make it look like they were putting up a fight.

Kerry's main platform was Vietnam. Elections are not won based on military experience. If they were, then Clinton (a draft dodger) would have never been elected.

But I digress.

As my sister says, "It's like trying to decide which pare of dirty socks to put on".

Another thing:
I am at a compleat loss of understanding of the point of view that assumes that the 1st. Amendment is some-how put on hold for those of us who did not vote. Obviously we didn't want Bush in charge, so how is our objection any less than those who voted for Kerry?; Or voted for Bush and are now upset at him for his spending, handling of the war, etc.?

On what Constitutional grounds do you base this opinion?
Quote the text.
Quote the law.
Quote the precedent.

At least I have Constitutional grounds for not voting.
You?

There are three main reasons people do not vote.

1. They are lazy, but there is no law against that.

2. They have religious or personal convictions that prevent them from voting.

3. They would prefer not to waste their time with the slates of candidates we have these days.

4. They are too busy with work or something else.

I am against mandatory voting personally, either you take part in democracy or you do not. On the other hand, I think all people should have a chance. We can remedy the last two problems by A, better candidates (and of course we can attain this by allowing third parties into debates), and B, making Election Day a national holiday.

Busta said:
YES!!
Exactly.
Thank you.

In the last Presidential election I abstained my vote because (aside from my conspiracy theories) I didn't care for either candidate. The Democrat Primaries stood witness to the fact that Bush was going to get a second term.

I mien, come on....Kerry? Of all people? Kerry? Kerry was nothing more than a token effort by the Dem.s' so as to make it look like they were putting up a fight.

Kerry's main platform was Vietnam. Elections are not won based on military experience. If they were, then Clinton (a draft dodger) would have never been elected.

But I digress.

As my sister says, "It's like trying to decide which pare of dirty socks to put on".

Another thing:
I am at a compleat loss of understanding of the point of view that assumes that the 1st. Amendment is some-how put on hold for those of us who did not vote. Obviously we didn't want Bush in charge, so how is our objection any less than those who voted for Kerry?; Or voted for Bush and are now upset at him for his spending, handling of the war, etc.?

On what Constitutional grounds do you base this opinion?
Quote the text.
Quote the law.
Quote the precedent.

At least I have Constitutional grounds for not voting.
You?

Well not to throw stones, but the choice for president was the only issue on your ballot in 2004? What NavyPride said was actually 100% accurate. Those who exercise their right to vote have earned their right to praise or bitch about their government and/or policies. Those who abdicate their right to vote in my opinion abdicate their responsibility as a U.S. citizen and thus, symbollically not legally, they have abdicated their moral authority to a voice in the process.

Evenso, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see opportunity for corruption of the entire process if people are allowed to vote more than once, are allowed to vote without established and verified eligibility, or are allowed to vote without citizenship. I don't want people voting who don't have a clue what the consequences of their vote on the issues might be or who have no accurate information about the candidates who are running.

As citizens we should deplore any tactics that involve pointing the illiterate to a name that s/he cannot otherwise read and otherwise would not know or in bribing people to vote a certain way, or rounding up people and bussing them to the polls with dummy ballots already marked for them as they otherwise wouldn't have a clue who was running or what issues are on the ballot. We should also deplore any tactics to inhibit from voting those legally registered people who do know what the issues are and who do know who they want to vote for.

And if there isn't a single issue on a ballot in which a person cares about the outcome one way or another, I recommend that person pick another country and move.

Last edited:

Stace said:
I didn't disagree with that, did I? I was simply saying that there are some great political minds out there that choose not to exercise the right to vote, and some that are even too young to vote. That does not make their views any less important.

:2rofll:
if they dont exercise their right to vote, how smart could they really be
c'mon, really
other than those that are underage, you made a very silly statement

Axismaster said:
There are three main reasons people do not vote.

1. They are lazy, but there is no law against that.

2. They have religious or personal convictions that prevent them from voting.

3. They would prefer not to waste their time with the slates of candidates we have these days.

4. They are too busy with work or something else.

I am against mandatory voting personally, either you take part in democracy or you do not. On the other hand, I think all people should have a chance. We can remedy the last two problems by A, better candidates (and of course we can attain this by allowing third parties into debates), and B, making Election Day a national holiday.
Well said.
#3 applies to me....and I'm seriously all for voting-day being a national holiday. Why it isn't already, I don't know.

AlbqOwl said:
Well not to throw stones, but the choice for president was the only issue on your ballot in 2004? What NavyPride said was actually 100% accurate. Those who exercise their right to vote have earned their right to praise or bitch about their government and/or policies. Those who abdicate their right to vote in my opinion abdicate their responsibility as a U.S. citizen and thus, symbollically not legally, they have abdicated their moral authority to a voice in the process.
In context, I was only referring to the Presidential election from which I abstained, and no other.

What instrumint establishes this idea that the self evident right to free speech must be earned? Does not "equal" mien "reason", and not "voted"? Do my tax dollars mien nothing? Does my citizenship mien nothing?

Is not the idea that someone who does not vote on a given issue, thus looses their right to speak on said issue in the future, synonymous with the idea of second class citizens?

It has been established in America that some people are more equal then others ("Hate Crime" legislation), are you now in favor of some people being less-equal then others?
Surly this is not so, yet your post insinuates otherwise.

What source of morality inspires you to believe that when I exercise my Constitutional right to not vote, that I have somehow given up my moral authority? Is not "moral authority" self evident, showing itself through the words and deeds of one's life? Is not one such piece of self-evidence my telling the truth? "I do not support either candidate."

I must now lie at the voting booth by falsely showing support for a given candidate in order to be seen as having "moral authority"?

Exactly what kind of oxymoron is that; that I must lie in order to be seen with moral authority?; a contradiction in terms?; an adjective–noun?
Does not that lie divorce me from the very moral authority which you claim I would be giving up?

What sort of symbol is this opinion of yours?

DeeJayH said:
:2rofll:
if they dont exercise their right to vote, how smart could they really be
c'mon, really
other than those that are underage, you made a very silly statement
Smart enough not to lie at the voting booth, nor doubting another's intelligence by their voting choice, my friend.

Last edited:

Busta said:
Smart enough not to lie at the voting booth, nor doubting another's intelligence by their voting choice, my friend.

If you are not willing to voice your opinion at the ballot box
do not waste time blowing your hot air in my ear
Politics is what it is
and it has always been the lesser of two 'evils'
so if the candidates are so distasteful to you, why dont you run
why dont you vote for one of the many other candidates outside the big two
do a write in

if you are unwilling to take action on your beliefs
than you are nothing but a windbag full of hot air, worty of, and derserving NOTHING
your rationalizations are the lie, my friend
anybody who choses not to vote, deserves NONE of the benefits

AlbqOwl said:
I have thought about this for awhile and cannot accept the analogy that you present. If the party in power does not take care of business, they will be voted out and another party comes to power. That is how Republics work and are supposed to work when democratic principles are in place and enforced.

If the party in power is supported by all those citizens who have power themselves, the two groups between them will find a way to stonewall the "outs." It has always been so; laws or no laws, they have more at their disposal than simple votes and so also have a very good chance of staying in office (especially when whatever party opposes them has the support of only the bankrupt and dependent classes the other has created).

Supposed to work, yes; you're absolutely right. But things don't always work as they're supposed to, of course.

AlbqOwl said:
But if the have nots are allowed to confiscate at will the property of the haves, then before long the haves are also have nots and you have another third world government where most of the wealth is in the hands of despotic warlords who don't care about anybody else.

I think you have that backwards. At any time the haves can pull the plug on the have-nots; the whole purpose of letting them all vote is allowing them to balance one another out. Restricted voting will create a ruling class, no doubt about it, but it will be the class that starts out with more; the downs and the outs really have no chance to equal- much less surpass- them when they have their hands on the purse strings.

AlbqOwl said:
The way it should work is that government makes it as possible for the have nots to become haves too. The have nots will become haves by providing needed goods and services, increasing the GDP and individual wealth. Meanwhile, those who pay the taxes are usually the haves who hold the keys enabling others to become haves, and they should be the ones to vote on how much of it they wish to contribute to the common good.

Again, that is how it should work. Obviously, government never really works as it should; hence, we have to accept the perceived imperfection of some sort of limited welfare and support system. The preservation of this requires the balancing rights of the have-not voting bloc.

AlbqOwl said:
Again, once people are able to vote themselves benefits at the expense of others, the general prosperity of the nation will suffer in varying degrees. In the long run, that will eventually hurt everybody.

On the contrary, I would argue that the prosperity of the have-nots is allowed to increase even while the haves retain the lion's share of what they start out with; balance in votes means greater balance in wealth and makes its concentration difficult. National prosperity is at its high when polarization and class differences are at their low; everyone is fueling the nation's progress, not just a few. If some hold back in spending, the economy is less likely to slow down because they no longer have a monopoly on purchasing power.

AlbqOwl said:
Our constitution prevents any vote that would prohibit have nots from becoming haves. And it once was interpreted to prevent confiscation of private property once it was legally acquired. I would very much like to see us get back to that principle and that would require taking another look at who should be allowed to vote.

There are four million lawyers in America today. With change. If enough of them were on one "side," I have no doubt that they would either find or create whatever loopholes would be needed; at any rate, what you describe sounds a rather vague protection. "We won't let the poor become poorer; moving on..."

People find ways around the Constitution, and the Constitution could not fully protect the rights of a minority denied their right to vote unless it restricted those of the still-able-to-vote. Better to let everyone have their say, deserved or not, than to trust government in an unnecessary moderation of an unnecessary argument, I would argue.

Axismaster said:

Make election day a national holiday? Okay, we don't have any use for Martin Luther King Day, anyway. Trade. (It makes sense to lump all the presidents into one holiday and then have a holiday picking one famous American out of thousands to have his own day named after him?...How about making March 1st "Great Americans Day" instead?...off thread, never mind. Perhaps I'll put this up seperately later.)

Want people to rush out to the polls? Instead of making April 15th the tax filing deadline, make it Halloween. Halloween is always about a week or so from the day the people passing tax laws get elected.

Getting better candidates isn't something that can be done by passing a law.:roll:

Stace said:

I don't care how great the minds are......Like I said if you volunteerily don't vote then just shut up...........Voting is what this country is supposed to be about........

As far as people that are to young to vote that is the law and they are not voting volunteerily...........huge difference.......

DeeJayH said:
If you are not willing to voice your opinion at the ballot box
do not waste time blowing your hot air in my ear
Politics is what it is
and it has always been the lesser of two 'evils'
do a write in

if you are unwilling to take action on your beliefs
than you are nothing but a windbag full of hot air, worty of, and derserving NOTHING
your rationalizations are the lie, my friend
anybody who choses not to vote, deserves NONE of the benefits
Yes, I understand the title page of your opinion. Repeating it will not disclose any new information.
Perhaps if you were too answer some of my questions in #44, your post would contain something worth reading.

There is my opinion of candidates and there is my choice of career paths. Just because I disagree with a couple politicians does not mien that my running for their office is necessary or called for. The 2 points that you placed into your Complex Question have nothing to do with eachother.

Because I do not support the Green Party, which is the most likely to acquire the minimum voter % to be given official credibility.

do a write in
Busta said:
Besides, if I were forced to vote, I would vote for Mickey Mouse every time.

What instrumint establishes this idea that the self evident right to free speech must be earned?
Quote the text.
Quote the law.
Quote the precedent.

Back
Top Bottom