• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

POLL SHOCKER: Sununu Beats Biden for Prez in New Hampshire Head-to-Head

Just wondering, 'why'?

I really don't like some the statements he's made about whistle blowers.
In 2019, Buttigieg professed himself "troubled" by former President Obama's decision to commute the sentence of Chelsea Manning, the Iraq War whistleblower, days before leaving office in 2017; Buttigieg also gave a mixed evaluation of Edward Snowden's disclosure of classified information, saying that "we've learned things about abuses and that one way or another that needed to come out" but that "the way for that to come out is through Congressional oversight, not through a breach of classified information." (Source)

But the main thing is I just really doubt he personally deeply cares about any of the more progressive positions he is running on. He still takes a pretty significant amount of corporate money. If you go to his webpage his policies are pretty great, but so were Biden's. If you look at the issues he focused on in the primaries, and maybe this was just a nature of the debate format, but he seemed more concerned with positioning himself in relation to the other candidates than making affirmative arguments for his positions. These two articles highlight many of my own feelings.
When he is asked about what his actual policies are, Buttigieg has often been evasive. He has mentioned getting rid of the electoral college and expanding the Supreme Court, but his speech is often abstract. (Source)
The progressives I spoke with had plenty of issues with Buttigieg’s policy agenda (more on that later), but their overriding concern was whether Buttigieg could be trusted to actually implement that agenda. And that gets to the deeper debate about Buttigieg — and the threat the left senses from him — which is less about what he’s proposed, than how he’s proposed it. (Source)

I really don't like some the statements he's made about whistle blowers.

From what you linked, I'm fine with it personally.

Then again, I'm no Snowden fan.

But the main thing is I just really doubt he personally deeply cares about any of the more progressive positions he is running on.

I can see that.

He's gay, which is often stereotyped as a 'Liberal' quality. But Buttigieg is actually quite moderate, even a bit Conservative in some ways.

I'm fine with that. If anything, that's what will allow him to win the general election, should he prevail. And I must admit, I like that he's a person of Faith, as is Biden (& Pelosi).

He still takes a pretty significant amount of corporate money. If you go to his webpage his policies are pretty great, but so were Biden's. If you look at the issues he focused on in the primaries, and maybe this was just a nature of the debate format, but he seemed more concerned with positioning himself in relation to the other candidates than making affirmative arguments for his positions. These two articles highlight many of my own feelings.

I've seen these claims from others, and can see why they're made. I like him, and haven't devolved to this line of thought with him. But, I must admit he hasn't made any marks while in the administration, so I can't wholly dispute your claim.

Anyway, I'm still good with the guy, and he's my #1 at this point in time.

From what you linked, I'm fine with it personally.

Then again, I'm no Snowden fan.
Ahh, well we have a significant difference of opinion on that topic I suppose. I think it might tie into our broader disagreement went it comes to Pete, which is that he staunchly defends existing US institutions.

He's gay, which is often stereotyped as a 'Liberal' quality. But Buttigieg is actually quite moderate, even a bit Conservative in some ways.
He's certainly Liberal when it comes to LGBTQ issues, but I generally agree with this assessment and is again partially why I don't like him.

Anyway, I'm still good with the guy, and he's my #1 at this point in time.
Well, don't get me wrong. From a pragmatic standpoint he's better than most of the rest of the prospective field. As you mentioned, many of the reasons I don't like him could be necessary for his electability. At this point we just need to make sure as many people as possible get into office that support basic civil liberties.

Ahh, well we have a significant difference of opinion on that topic I suppose. I think it might tie into our broader disagreement went it comes to Pete, which is that he staunchly defends existing US institutions.

I agree. It happens, and it's fine.

You are right about institutions, though. I do support a great deal of our American institutions.

He's certainly Liberal when it comes to LGBTQ issues, but I generally agree with this assessment and is again partially why I don't like him.

To each their own. And, that's also fine!

Well, don't get me wrong. From a pragmatic standpoint he's better than most of the rest of the prospective field. As you mentioned, many of the reasons I don't like him could be necessary for his electability. At this point we just need to make sure as many people as possible get into office that support basic civil liberties.

One can vote their heart & ideology, or one can vote practicality, as many of us did last time with Biden.

I'll surely not suggest which is the proper path of the two, for any voter. I'm fortunate that Buttigieg fits much of my ideologies, and despite his homosexuality, I think he might be electable.

But part of my attraction to the Dem Party is its diversity; it feels like 'democracy in action'; I like that!

Regardless, there's a lot of time until we vote!

I can't imagine the Democrat party allowing Biden to run again.

Anyone who would vote for "Mayor Pete" has no vestige of conservatism. He was mayor of a small city and spent his time campaigning for an office he had zero chance of winning. He then went on to be appointed to a cabinet post he had zero qualification to hold. The transportation sector has gone no where but down. (oh yeah.. that's Trump's fault, or Putin, or the pandemic.}

Bullshit.

Posted to Politics
April 18, 2022
by Michael Graham

Screen-Shot-2022-01-19-at-9.54.56-PM-300x300.png

If the 2024 election were held today, and the two candidates for president were Democrat Joe Biden and Republican Chris Sununu, the GOP governor would trounce Biden in New Hampshire 53-36 percent.

That was just one of the many problematic findings for Biden from a new NHJournal poll released Monday night.

The poll also found Granite Staters believe America is on the wrong track by a nearly 3-to-1 margin (64-23 percent), and only 14 percent “strongly approve” of how Biden is doing his job.

poll-4-18-biden-sununu-1024x285.png

On the question of whether Biden would be “physically and mentally up to the job” if America faced a crisis like war or another pandemic, a solid majority – 54 percent – said no.

“New Hampshire voters are angry and frustrated, and these brutal numbers make clear that in November, they intend to hold President Biden fully accountable for everything, from inflation and a porous border to Will Smith slapping Chris Rock at the Oscars,” said veteran GOP strategist Jim Merrill, who has worked on multiple presidential campaigns in New Hampshire.

poll-4-18-biden-old-1024x252.png

“Concerning 2024, the silent primary is already underway, and these numbers make clear that President Biden’s re-election hopes are dead in the water, while the speculation about a potential presidential candidacy by Gov. Sununu is – and will continue to be – very much alive,” Merrill added.

Biden’s problem isn’t Republicans. In America’s current polarized politics, having a job approval of just 13 percent with GOP voters is expected. But Biden’s numbers among Granite State independents are disastrous: 34 percent approve/61 percent disapprove. And 63 percent say they have little or no confidence that he is mentally and physically able to handle a crisis.

(...)

A very unorthodox poll, because it's a state that Biden won by 7 against Trump - but they tested Biden at a polling low, against the incumbent Republican governor of New Hampshire who is among the most popular governors in the country.

Sununu therefore enjoys a huge home state advantage over Biden, but outside NH no voter knows who Sununu is ...
This is not shocking news. The Sununus are an old, well known, well thought of political family in Republican NH. Of course they would vote for Chris, over anyone.

No way Republicans will ever run anything this time around, besides a Trumpian.

But on the Dem's side, I like Buttigieg.
Buttigieg craped in his nest when he took a two month leave during the supply chain crisis. Shows where his priorities are. Definitely not a country first guy.

Buttigieg craped in his nest when he took a two month leave during the supply chain crisis. Shows where his priorities are. Definitely not a country first guy.

You know, I forgot about that, and it's a valid point.

It's not enough to personally stop me from voting for him, if I otherwise like what I see. But, I can see it possibly causing problems with some. No idea if it's enough to be a deal-breaker for him, though.

I believe she already has, or at least temporarily suspended it.

--

On a related note of sorts, after helping Ole' Joe displace Trump from office, I'm thinking of relinquishing my recently earned Dem card, returning to a true Indie.

I'm not leaving for any particular anti-Dem reason, although some Dems and Dem policies cause me to cringe! But rather, I'm coming to the conclusion I just feel a stronger sense righteousness as an Indie; if that makes sense? As much as I like being a 'joiner' and part of a 'team', I simply feel I can hold my head a bit higher as an Indie. This of course is completely independent of my policy POV, which is not going to change.
I'm not a card caring member of a political party either.
;)

I would be happy with Sununu . . . except he's a Republican!

20 years ago, I could vote GOP. I've done it in the past. But, my conscience won't let it fly today.
I have said it before; I am not a party voter, but that being said, I think I would like to see a dual party ticket of Trey Gowdy and John Tester, even if they both had to run as Independents.

The morons already call me a RINO. They're stupid. I was a Republican when Trump was donating to Clinton and Pelosi and voting for Democratic candidates.
Just keep an eye out for the Gazpacho and their insidious Jewish Space Lasers.
😜

I have said it before; I am not a party voter, but that being said, I think I would like to see a dual party ticket of Trey Gowdy and John Tester, even if they both had to run as Independents.

I have no idea of how something like that would be received.

At the national level, I'm never been a party voter either. But with Trump, I find voting for a Republican unconscionable at this time.

Reactions: Bum
Is anyone from New Hampshire ?

I heard that Sununu is more of a moderate Republican, and what's best ... he hates Trump.

And despite this, Republicans in NH absolutely love Sununu. He gets 70% job approval ratings there.

I am, and I hate Trump as well. Sununu would get my vote head to head vs Biden.

We need more politicians liek Sununu who will stand up when their party is wrong and do the right thing.

I would be happy with Sununu . . . except he's a Republican!

20 years ago, I could vote GOP. I've done it in the past. But, my conscience won't let it fly today.

There is a huge difference between Trump and Greene and DeSantis and people like Sununu, Kasich and Romney.

I have no idea of how something like that would be received.

At the national level, I'm never been a party voter either. But with Trump, I find voting for a Republican unconscionable at this time.
It wouldn't be received at all....not by the parties anyway; too much of a threat to their power....the notion that the citizens would refuse both parties would really shake the political establishment.

It wouldn't be received at all....not by the parties anyway; too much of a threat to their power....the notion that the citizens would refuse both parties would really shake the political establishment.

Who cares about the parties; I want to know what the voters think! (y)

There is a huge difference between Trump and Greene and DeSantis and people like Sununu, Kasich and Romney.

People like Trump, Greene and DeSantis are the reason I left the Republican Party.

People like Sununu, Kasich and Romney are the reasons I aligned with it in the first place.

Until the stench of the first three mentioned people are washed off the party, and people like the last three are back in control of it, they can count me out forever.

I can't imagine the Democrat party allowing Biden to run again.
I can.

I absolutely can.

Not that I like how likely I see it being.

Back
Top Bottom