• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Poll: Republicans 'Badly Damaged' By Shutdown Battle

RDS

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
How are they going to garner votes for future elections? No amount of yachts flying the Cayman Island flags will do any good.
The Republican Party has been "badly damaged" by the government shutdown, according to an NBC/Wall Street Journal poll released Thursday evening, which finds public opinion souring on the GOP and some of its core positions.
Americans blamed Republicans over President Barack Obama for the shutdown by a margin of 22 percentage points, with 53 percent saying the GOP deserved more blame, and 31 percent saying Obama did. Approval ratings for the Republican Party and the tea party were at 24 percent and 21 percent respectively -- both record lows as measured by NBC/WSJ.
Democrats aren't wildly popular either. Obama's approval rating is a marginally positive 47 percent, while the Democratic Party is at 39 percent, and congressional Democrats are at 36 percent.

Not good for mid-terms... but by 2016 most of it will have blown over.

Also important to keep in mind that it's not true.

Nothing in the past thirty years has energized Conservatives as much as this possibility that the Republican leadership may actually be forced to represent the American people.

Last edited:
The Republican leadership is now being forced to represent the interests of the Koch brothers and the Chamber of Commerce, their life-long allies..
200 TEA-GOPs will get their 'protest' vote and 33 Repubs will vote clean CR debt-ceiling next week, with all 200 Dems.

How are they going to garner votes for future elections? No amount of yachts flying the Cayman Island flags will do any good.

Both parties are taking a hit for this. I still give the Dems a better chance 2014 right now because they are more united than the GOP. However, that depends on how the ACA unfolds and I still stand on record I think both parties suck.

Not good for mid-terms... but by 2016 most of it will have blown over.

Probably not.

If by 2016, Obamacare hasn't ruined the country, dems are going to redicule republicans to no end over their statements about Obamacare, and won't have a chance of winning anything, not even a local dogcatcher election.

If Obamacare does ruin our economy or our health care system, then dems will be out of business for a long long time.

Nothing in the past thirty years has energized Conservatives as much as this possibility that the Republican leadership may actually be forced to represent the American people fringe right wing.

Fixed that for you.

Hey, maybe this time Democrats getting millions more votes in the house will actually result in a majority of seats. There's all that gerrymandering to deal with.

Also important to keep in mind that it's not true.

Nothing in the past thirty years has energized Conservatives as much as this possibility that the Republican leadership may actually be forced to represent the American people.

Thats true, but only about those on the far right. Extremists on either side don't make or break elections, it's those in the middle that do. It's those in the middle who are swinging to the left right now, so it's bad news for republicans.

Any party that starts pandering to it's "base" is preaching to the choir, while ignoring the voters that they should actually be sucking up to.

The Republican leadership is now being forced to represent the interests of the Koch brothers and the Chamber of Commerce, their life-long allies..
200 TEA-GOPs will get their 'protest' vote and 33 Repubs will vote clean CR debt-ceiling next week, with all 200 Dems.
What mindless dribble...are drones volunteer positions or do some actually get paid to push Dem talking points?

There are now two choirs in the GOP..
The TEAts and the ELITE..
The ELITE like the Kochs/C of C, are now taking control.
Also flying under the radar is Christie, who met with Senate Repubs yesterday..
He is clearly their front-runner, IMHO.
Thats true, but only about those on the far right. Extremists on either side don't make or break elections, it's those in the middle that do. It's those in the middle who are swinging to the left right now, so it's bad news for republicans.

Any party that starts pandering to it's "base" is preaching to the choir, while ignoring the voters that they should actually be sucking up to.

Both parties are taking a hit for this. I still give the Dems a better chance 2014 right now because they are more united than the GOP. However, that depends on how the ACA unfolds and I still stand on record I think both parties suck.
Wrong.

The national media doesn't elect the reps or senators, its their districts that do that...and the base likes the idea of the Republicans getting a backbone...if they hold out they will be more than fine, they are right, so others will come along as the American people hate Obamacare almost as much as Tea Partiers.

For those about to rock..
Repub tushes are still hurting from their spanking on Tuesday from the Koch letter..
Amongst all indicators, the Treasury Bills shook them to the core..
What mindless dribble...are drones volunteer positions or do some actually get paid to push Dem talking points?

Wrong..
It is the Kochs that bankroll these TEAts and they are reeling them in..
We're up to FOUR RINO primaries on the sitting TEATs right now.
Wrong.

The national media doesn't elect the reps or senators, its their districts that do that...and the base likes the idea of the Republicans getting a backbone...if they hold out they will be more than fine, they are right, so others will come along as the American people hate Obamacare almost as much as Tea Partiers.

Wrong.

Yeah, we've heard your side's song and dance too. Your side said the same thing about Obama losing to Romney. You'll forgive me if I don't beleive you now. BTW there are polls that show some of the people that don't like ACA don't think it goes far enough. You are delusional if you think your side is not taking a hit on this. I don't have a dog in this game since both the Dems and Reps suck, but have fun playing "which turd is more fun to play with".

It's going pretty much as most sane people predicted. Only the deluded tea party thought otherwise:

The Republican Party has been "badly damaged" by the government shutdown, according to an NBC/Wall Street Journal poll released Thursday evening, which finds public opinion souring on the GOP and some of its core positions.

Americans blamed Republicans over President Barack Obama for the shutdown by a margin of 22 percentage points, with 53 percent saying the GOP deserved more blame, and 31 percent saying Obama did. Approval ratings for the Republican Party and the tea party were at 24 percent and 21 percent respectively -- both record lows as measured by NBC/WSJ.

Fixed that for you.

Hey, maybe this time Democrats getting millions more votes in the house will actually result in a majority of seats. There's all that gerrymandering to deal with.
Except that it is the American people that we are respresenting, who wants this stinker of an unhealthy plan, boObama[Idont]care[causesomeoneelseispayingforit]...hardly a soul.

I mean, the initial roll-out is working out so soooo well so far...right? :lamo:lamo:lamo:lamo ( I think that is 4 more than have been able to actually sign up online from Maryland....ha ha ha ha... what an embarrassing mess).

There are now two choirs in the GOP..
The TEAts and the ELITE..
The ELITE like the Kochs/C of C, are now taking control.
Also flying under the radar is Christie, who met with Senate Repubs yesterday..
He is clearly their front-runner, IMHO.

You may be correct about all of that.

I kind of like Christie, he seems like a stand up fellow when he isn't in campaign mode.

How are they going to garner votes for future elections? No amount of yachts flying the Cayman Island flags will do any good. Poll: Republicans 'Badly Damaged' By Shutdown Battle

It has been basically a pox on both parties with the Democrats escaping as the least worst party. CNN had an interesting poll that just polled independents. Now independents make up 47% of the electorate according to the latest Gallup poll of party affiliation. With me the President approval rating was at 36% last month among only independent and as of the 7th of October it was still at 36% among independents. According to the CNN/ORC poll 60% of independents blamed Republicans congress, 59% blamed the Democratic congress and 58% blamed President Obama.

One last thing speaking of party affiliation, as of the latest Gallup poll 5-7 october, only 20% of the electorate identified themselves with the republican party, 30% with the Democratic party and as I mentioned above 47% as independents. Never in the history of Gallup polling on party Identification/affilation has the republican party been this low. So it is a no brainer as to which party this shut down hurt the most. But it hasn't helped the Democrats either, they just come off as the least worst party.

On election day last year, a year in which the president won election and the democrats gained two senate seats the numbers were 30% of the electorate identified with the republicans, 35% with the democrats and 36% as independents. So the GOP dropped 10 points, but the Democrats dropped 5 with those leaving becoming independents. Both parties are losing members.

Christie has tacked to the right as far as the campaigning you mentioned..
You know, kick butt and noone leaves until they agree..
Which reminds me, Repubs packed prepared for an allnighter tonight..
I'm sure they have 'standard' facilities in the House to sleep in.
You may be correct about all of that.

I kind of like Christie, he seems like a stand up fellow when he isn't in campaign mode.

Huffpost?!?!?! :lamo:lamo:lamo

Oh, they're a source of impartiality...

Good lord...

Huffpost?!?!?! :lamo:lamo:lamo

Oh, they're a source of impartiality...

Good lord...

Pssst: Huffpost didn't do the Poll. Wall Street Journal did.

Jesus man. F-O-C-U-S

Wrong..
It is the Kochs that bankroll these TEAts and they are reeling them in..
We're up to FOUR RINO primaries on the sitting TEATs right now.
Wow...and its Soros that bankroll all the flakes on your side, what is your point even if it were true [ which it isn't and would not matter anyhow ]. What a sad position, a hatred for a couple of obscure brothers that the left cannot quit obsessing about.

Why not get a productive hobby instead of trading secret code decipher rings on such conspiracy theories...you know, wa wa watch out for DDT, OoooOOOooooh global warming, oh no, Alar in apples....you folks would be a hilarious psychological case study if it were not so sad and yet impactful as you folks actually get to drive on the streets in cars and vote...

Back
Top Bottom