• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Poll Report on COVID issues. Let's read it and discuss

We tried being nice. We tried using logic and reason. We tried using data. We tried using bribes. We tried appealing to emotion, to general decency and empathy. You're surprised that we eventually got frustrated with your hostility? "SHEEP! THINK FOR YOURSELVES! YOU'RE LIVING IN FEAR!" was your response.

**** off, antivaxxers. We tried to be nice to you. You get the stick now.

Not up to you who gets the stick much less when.

I found this stat to be rather interesting:

covid_concerns.jpg

"Catching covid from taking the vaccine" oh for ****'s sake.

What I found interesting was how similar the concerns were between those willing to get the vaccine and those who are resistant to getting it.

What I found interesting was how similar the concerns were between those willing to get the vaccine and those who are resistant to getting it.

Yeah, although the willing more often citing problems getting it is to be expected. They are, after all, willing, just haven't been able.

I don't think it's a doctoral thesis. It appears to be an actual study.

View attachment 67354272

As noted in the snipped above from the study, it's the "publicly facing entities/individuals" that have the lowest levels of trust.

And I think their supporters, whom I'm calling here the "pro-vaxxers," are largely responsible for much of the mistrust - their vilifying, condemnatory, and insulting tactics against anyone who remotely isn't towing the line they are. Heck, just two posts up they were called "brain dead."

In their frustration to get people to agree with them, not realizing just how untrustworthy their tactics are, they've resorted to wishing people dead, wishing they'd die in their own pus, even wanting to see them burned at the stake; none of which is exactly trust-inducing rhetori

No, that’s not what’s going on.

1. Read the report linked to in the OP. If what you were saying is true the report would say the respondents said they didn’t take the vaccine because “people were mean to me.” Instead most of them say they didn’t take the vaccine for other reasons such as fears of side effects. If you read comments on this forum most people aren’t saying they are anti vax because people are mean to them, they are saying they are anti vax for other reasons. Is it your opinion that everyone is just lying about why they are anti vax?

2. There wasn’t much hostility towards anti vaxxers in early 2021 when vaccines became widely available or even at the beginning of summer. The hostility mostly started when the Delta wave started hitting the US and caused a huge spike in cases, hospitalizations, and deaths. We know most of the problems we are experiencing now are mostly the result of people not getting vaccinated. That’s when people started blaming the unvaccinated and insulting them, and for good reason. It’s their fault. They’ve had 6 to 8 months to get vaccinated and they decided for whatever reason they didn’t want to do it. And that’s why people are being mean to them now.

3. There appears to be a very strong cultural, geographic, and political aspect to being anti vax. Look at the states where people are vaccinated the least. They are mostly rural, or southern, or the predominantly evangelical regions of the country. And when you look at it from that angle it is not as if people are anti vax in those places because people in their community are mean to them. It as if people are anti vax because other people in their community are also anti vax. Then what do you hear on Fox News, and OANN, and Newsmax? What are evangelical preachers saying? What are Republican political leaders doing and saying? This idea you have that someone is watching CNN or reads a comment on an Internet forum gets insulted and then decides to become anti vax is silly. What they are doing is watching conservative news, consuming content from their anti vax friends and relatives, and listening to Republican elected officials, and listening to their evangelical preacher who doesn’t know shit about science. THAT is how they are forming their conclusions about getting vaccinated.

Just wondering if you realize the massive irony here?

The folks NOT getting the vax are not living in fear at all. The folks that are demanding everyone get a jab are the ones in fear - OMG the sky is falling! You must comply, resistance is futile!

I'm not antivax at all, but if you are concerned, get the vax and stay out of other's personal choices. If someone gets sick and didn't get the vax, why should you care?

According to the OP’s report the main reason why people aren’t getting vaccinated despite 1,800 average daily deaths is because of their concern of vaccine side effects.

My wife worked with a secondary high school counselor that was fully vaxxed and died from Covid this week. In her 50s.

Somehow it's all the antivaxers fault.

Where is the logic in that?

The logic is this:

The vaccine is not perfectly effective

However, the unvaccinated are far more likely than the vaccinated to get infected, to be contagious, to be hospitalized, and to die.

If you get vaccinated you reduce, by a significant margin, all the risks mentioned above that are associated with Covid-19.

Therefore, the problems we are experiencing right now are nearly entirely the fault of the unvaccinated.

Your logic is more like this: well, a seatbelt can’t save your life in every instance so they are totally useless and I’m never wearing them.

Now that’s just dumb. That’s dumb. Don’t you recognize how dumb that is?

Yes, I kind of questioned that.

If they have not gotten the vaccine and they are still not vaccinated, are they really "willing."

How could anyone willing to get the vaccine not have gotten it by now? There's always outliers of people either too damn busy or too damn lazy to get this kind of life-saving vaccine.

But I suspect that some of the respondents took the middle choice of "willing" instead of selecting "resistant" or whatever the choices were. Bia to taking the middle choice as a compromise is a weakness in many polls.

Yeah very interesting... why would anyone question safety of vaccine... Hmmm?

Maybe... Just maybe... People might question it because there's no way to know if the vaccine has any long term negative side effects.

That would be a damned good reason if you ask me.

No, that’s not what’s going on.

1. Read the report linked to in the OP. If what you were saying is true the report would say the respondents said they didn’t take the vaccine because “people were mean to me.” Instead most of them say they didn’t take the vaccine for other reasons such as fears of side effects. If you read comments on this forum most people aren’t saying they are anti vax because people are mean to them, they are saying they are anti vax for other reasons. Is it your opinion that everyone is just lying about why they are anti vax?
What I'm saying is that once they had the other reasons and expressed them, the reaction by the vaccine insisters made them even more resolved not to take it.

When I was about eight and my brother was about six, we once asked my dad for a gumball from the machine. Dad would usually do that, it was a penny or a nickle back then. But this time, he said no, probably because he had grocery bags in his arms, the old fashioned paper kind. My brother literally threw himself on the floor and drummed the floor with his fists and kicked the floor with his feet and said "Aaaaaagh." He must have seen that on a TV show, because he had never done anything like that before.

My dad chastised him outside and told him that if he ever pulled a stunt like that, he would "literally wear you out." He didn't spank him, or even ground him. But he sure AF did NOT go back in and buy him a gumball, even though he could put the groceries down and dig out a nickel with no problem.

I didn't know back then, fifty-one years ago, that I would be telling that story now, or I would have tracked whether my father ever bought my brother a gumball again. I'm guessing not for a long time.
2. There wasn’t much hostility towards anti vaxxers in early 2021 when vaccines became widely available or even at the beginning of summer. The hostility mostly started when the Delta wave started hitting the US and caused a huge spike in cases, hospitalizations, and deaths. We know most of the problems we are experiencing now are mostly the result of people not getting vaccinated. That’s when people started blaming the unvaccinated and insulting them, and for good reason. It’s their fault. They’ve had 6 to 8 months to get vaccinated and they decided for whatever reason they didn’t want to do it. And that’s why people are being mean to them now.
I'd like to see some evidence that the carping didn't start until Delta started. I think the attacks did spike to current levels when we realized what a colossal mistake Fauci and the CDC had made in telling us that enough people were vaccinated already to stop masking and distancing. That seems like misplaced anger to me.

3. There appears to be a very strong cultural, geographic, and political aspect to being anti vax. Look at the states where people are vaccinated the least. They are mostly rural, or southern, or the predominantly evangelical regions of the country. And when you look at it from that angle it is not as if people are anti vax in those places because people in their community are mean to them. It as if people are anti vax because other people in their community are also anti vax. Then what do you hear on Fox News, and OANN, and Newsmax? What are evangelical preachers saying? What are Republican political leaders doing and saying? This idea you have that someone is watching CNN or reads a comment on an Internet forum gets insulted and then decides to become anti vax is silly. What they are doing is watching conservative news, consuming content from their anti vax friends and relatives, and listening to Republican elected officials, and listening to their evangelical preacher who doesn’t know shit about science. THAT is how they are forming their conclusions about getting vaccinated.
Then why are people of color less likely to be vaccinated than Whites? Are they also following those evil Republicans?

Why are migrant at the border refusing vaccinations at the same rate as Americans? Did they watch a lot of Sean Hannity before they decided to migrate?

Maybe... Just maybe... People might question it because there's no way to know if the vaccine has any long term negative side effects.

That would be a damned good reason if you ask me.

There is also no way to know if radiation coming out of latest IPhones as well as Android phones has any long term negative side effect, yet 99% of people don't seem to care.

Vaccine long term side effects have always been found within first few months. This one has been running for over a year now since studies started tracking human trials - closer to 18 months now.

What we DO know is that COVID does have long term side effects... sometimes permanent ones.

There is also no way to know if radiation coming out of latest IPhones as well as Android phones has any long term negative side effect, yet 99% of people don't seem to care.

True, but the government doesn't force people to use an iPhone... They have a choice.

I don't think it's a doctoral thesis. It appears to be an actual study.

View attachment 67354272

As noted in the snipped above from the study, it's the "publicly facing entities/individuals" that have the lowest levels of trust.

And I think their supporters, whom I'm calling here the "pro-vaxxers," are largely responsible for much of the mistrust - their vilifying, condemnatory, and insulting tactics against anyone who remotely isn't towing the line they are. Heck, just two posts up they were called "brain dead."

In their frustration to get people to agree with them, not realizing just how untrustworthy their tactics are, they've resorted to wishing people dead, wishing they'd die in their own pus, even wanting to see them burned at the stake; none of which is exactly trust-inducing rhetoric.
Nice try at turning the blame around but it is a fail. You might as well just quote the one term mistake, he said the same thing. He said the anti-vaxxers don't trust the vaccine because he lost the election. We aren't the ones making a political statement by endangering the health and welfare of millions of Americans.

"Joe Biden kept talking about how good of a job he's doing on the distribution of the Vaccine that was developed by Operation Warp Speed or, quite simply, the Trump Administration. He's not doing well at all," Trump's statement said.
"He's way behind schedule, and people are refusing to take the Vaccine because they don't trust his Administration, they don't trust the Election results, and they certainly don't trust the Fake News, which is refusing to tell the Truth," the statement added.

https://www.newsweek.com/trump-clai...take-vaccine-due-mistrust-biden-admin-1610843

What I'm saying is that once they had the other reasons and expressed them, the reaction by the vaccine insisters made them even more resolved not to take it.

1. Are you Edwin?

2. This study was released today. If the primary reason people were not taking vaccines because they felt insulted you would see it in this study. Instead it’s stuff like vaccine side effects. Do you trust this study you posted or nit

When I was about eight and my brother was about six, we once asked my dad for a gumball from the machine. Dad would usually do that, it was a penny or a nickle back then. But this time, he said no, probably because he had grocery bags in his arms, the old fashioned paper kind. My brother literally threw himself on the floor and drummed the floor with his fists and kicked the floor with his feet and said "Aaaaaagh." He must have seen that on a TV show, because he had never done anything like that before.

My dad chastised him outside and told him that if he ever pulled a stunt like that, he would "literally wear you out." He didn't spank him, or even ground him. But he sure AF did NOT go back in and buy him a gumball, even though he could put the groceries down and dig out a nickel with no problem.

I didn't know back then, fifty-one years ago, that I would be telling that story now, or I would have tracked whether my father ever bought my brother a gumball again. I'm guessing not for a long time.

I'd like to see some evidence that the carping didn't start until Delta started. I think the attacks did spike to current levels when we realized what a colossal mistake Fauci and the CDC had made in telling us that enough people were vaccinated already to stop masking and distancing. That seems like misplaced anger to me.

If people weren’t getting vaccinated because people were mean to them then this study you posted would say so. Are the people who participated in this study lying?

Then why are people of color less likely to be vaccinated than Whites? Are they also following those evil Republicans?

don’t know. but I do know the group that is the least vaccinated is Republicans. The group less vaccinated than Republicans is 2020 Trump voters. MA

Why are migrant at the border refusing vaccinations at the same rate as Americans? Did they watch a lot of Sean Hannity before they decided to migrate?

Don’t know, but it is interesting to me their rate of vaccination is much higher than Republicans.

Guessing this is a doctoral thesis using a study?

I wonder how long it will take for someone to blame Republicans or blast outright to just get it?
The biggest expressed concern of those that didn't vaccinate and know they are about to die of Covid is that they are very stupid people.

1. Are you Edwin?

2. This study was released today. If the primary reason people were not taking vaccines because they felt insulted you would see it in this study. Instead it’s stuff like vaccine side effects. Do you trust this study you posted or nit

If people weren’t getting vaccinated because people were mean to them then this study you posted would say so. Are the people who participated in this study lying?

don’t know. but I do know the group that is the least vaccinated is Republicans. The group less vaccinated than Republicans is 2020 Trump voters. MA

Don’t know, but it is interesting to me their rate of vaccination is much higher than Republicans.
Are you Duece?

So, you believe - you know, in fact, that people always reveal their true self in surveys and polls?

If you don't get that a motive like not trusting a vaccine that was rushed to the market, could be reinforced by the childish behavior of people who insist that the mistrusting person get vaccinated, then you do not understand human nature.

I recommend you get out from behind the keyboard more.

I provided links for my claims about who is and isn't vaccinated.

Until you do the same, I will ignore your assertions about it.

Are you Duece?

So, you believe - you know, in fact, that people always reveal their true self in surveys and polls?

If you don't get that a motive like not trusting a vaccine that was rushed to the market, could be reinforced by the childish behavior of people who insist that the mistrusting person get vaccinated, then you do not understand human nature.

I recommend you get out from behind the keyboard more.

I provided links for my claims about who is and isn't vaccinated.

Until you do the same, I will ignore your assertions about it.
Oh dear, an anti-vaxxer who pushes propaganda is going to ignore someone he disagrees with....the horror....

In their frustration to get people to agree with them, not realizing just how untrustworthy their tactics are, they've resorted to wishing people dead, wishing they'd die in their own pus, even wanting to see them burned at the stake; none of which is exactly trust-inducing rhetoric.

Wow, you take bias and one-sidedness to a whole new level.
Google Search: "violent antivaxxers" (VIDEOS)

Of special interest one may want to take note of the fact that it was Ronald Reagan himself who spearheaded our long forty year descent into right wing anti-government sentiment.

Back
Top Bottom