• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Poll: New Jersey’s Mehmet Oz, two others, locked in tight race for GOP U.S. Senate nod in Pennsylvania, Fetterman leads Democratic field

Tender Branson

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
By David Wildstein
April 27 2022 12:07 pm

New Jerseyan Mehmet Oz has a razor-thin 3-point lead in his bid for the Republican U.S. Senate nomination in Pennsylvania’s May 17 primary election, a new Monmouth University Poll shows.

Oz, a cardiothoracic surgeon and TV personality from Cliffside Park, leads Hedge Fund millionaire David McCormick by a 22%-19% margin, with conservative commentator Kathy Barnette at 18% in a race where three contenders are within the margin of error. Four other candidates are polling in the single-digit range for a combined 25%.

pa-senate-race-2022-gop-debate-768x325.jpg

“This is the kind of environment where a number of candidates could emerge as the nominee,” said Patrick Murray, the director of the Monmouth poll. “Oz has the highest name recognition but also the highest negatives. If McCormick and Oz beat each other up, though, Barnette could realistically end up on top.“

While the Monmouth poll puts Donald Trump’s favorables among Republicans at 85%-14%, the former president’s endorsement of Oz has not closed the deal.

“If Dr. Oz thought Trump’s seal of approval was going to lock this nomination up for him, he was mistaken. It may help Oz on the margins, but it doesn’t completely erase his negatives,” said Murray. “And other candidates have earned their Trumpian bona fides with Republican voters.”

The poll shows that 69% of Republicans know that Oz recently moved to Pennsylvania to run for the Senate. About one-quarter of them (26%) say they are bothered “a lot” by that, and another 25% say they are bothered just “a little.” But 48% of Republicans say they don’t care.

Oz has favorables of 48%-37%, while McCormick is at 51%-15% and Barnette at 27%-7%.

McCormick, a Princeton University graduate, served as Under Secretary of the Treasury and Under Secretary of Commerce in President George W. Bush’s administration. His wife, Dina Powell, was deputy National Security Advisor in the Trump White House.

In the Democratic primary, Lt. Gov. John Fetterman has a 44%-23% lead over Rep. Conor Lamb, with State Rep. Malcolm Kenyatta at 14% in a four-candidate race.

john_fetterman1-e1547213957455-1920x989.jpg

The incumbent, Republican Patrick Toomey, is not seeking re-election.

The Monmouth University Poll was conducted by telephone from April 20-25 with a sample of registered Pennsylvania voters who have participated in a past primary election, including 406 registered Democrats and 407 registered Republicans. The margin of error is +/- 4.9%.

Incredibly tight on the R side, with just a few weeks until the primary.

Why is this carpetbagger Oz even allowed to run in Pennsylvania ?

He is from New Jersey, no ?

And he's even a double carpetbagger, because he also holds a Turkish citizenship besides the American one - and has served in the Turkish military.

Incredible how Kathy Barnette has risen in the polls lately.

I think she could be the "dark horse", if Oz and McCormick kill each other off ...

Can't wait to see General Election polls after the primary dust has settled ...

In a neutral year, Fetterman would clobber the R candidate, but in this year with Biden down 40-55 in job approval in swingy Pennsylvania, I am not sure how it plays out.

This tidbit buried in the poll is the most interesting (and the worst news for Democrats):

A sense of optimism about the outcome of this year’s midterm elections is more prevalent among Republicans (75% overall, including 42% very optimistic) than among Democrats (55% overall, including 19% very optimistic).

A larger number of Republicans (41%) than Democrats (29%) say they are more enthusiastic about this year’s Senate race compared with past elections.

Why is this carpetbagger Oz even allowed to run in Pennsylvania ?

He is from New Jersey, no ?

And he's even a double carpetbagger, because he also holds a Turkish citizenship besides the American one - and has served in the Turkish military.
yea, i think pennsylvanians are better qualified at determining a carpetbagger than some guy in Austria.

This tidbit buried in the poll is the most interesting (and the worst news for Democrats):
Moderates created a bad cycle to blame progressives with.

I'll have to be working overtime to get Democrats elected.

Dr. Oz is running for office? He flip flops than a gymnast. He'll be the perfect scum sucking politician. I live in AZ and I may vote 4 times for him.

Incredible how Kathy Barnette has risen in the polls lately.

I think she could be the "dark horse", if Oz and McCormick kill each other off ...
That would be a good thing. Oz is a screwball. and I would think a hedge fund person would be more likely to be corrupt.

I don’t really think that matters. Such optimism has turned out to be misplaced in the past.

Remember how Fox and the rest of the right wing noise machine built up the expectation that the 2012 presidential election was too close to call.

Ailes had to stage the Karl Rove meltdown in order to let the audience down from the unrealistic expectations they had spent months creating.

Oz and Schwarzenegger share a similar background, just that Schwarzenegger always lived in CA unlike Oz who deliberately changed his adress to PA in late 2020 to run for Senate there ...

Dr Oz is gonna fix the economy with lavender essential oils.

Why would they be better qualified ?
because they're pennsylvanians....they can vote, and you can't.
I know as much about Oz and the race as they do.
I highly doubt that actually. Pennsylvanians are the ones who have to decide who to elect, not you, and if they choose him, it's because they decided on him, independent of what little austria has to think.

Fetterman may one to watch in 2028 for a Presidential campaign, especially if he wins the Senate seat.

Back
Top Bottom