• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Poll: Majority of GOP voters want someone other than Trump

cpwill

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
...yet only a minority think that the convention should replace him with someone who is both conservative and sane.

Less than half — 45 percent — of Republican voters say they are satisfied with Donald Trump as their party's presidential nominee, according to the latest results from an NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll released Monday. Another 52 percent said they would have preferred someone else as the GOP standard bearer, while the levels of satisfaction are reversed among Democratic voters, 52 percent of which said they are satisfied with Hillary Clinton as their party's nominee in November...

Among conservative Republicans, 53 percent said they would have preferred a candidate other than Trump, while 45 percent of that group said they are fine with the Manhattan real-estate mogul as the nominee. Moderate Republicans split at 49 percent each, while 58 percent of Republicans who have a high-school education or less said they are satisfied. Sixty percent with a college degree said they would like someone else...

That is an excellent signature you have there, cp.

...yet only a minority think that the convention should replace him with someone who is both conservative and sane.

The irony here is that they don't want Trump but they voted for Trump. Could be buyer's remorse?

If the voters vote one way or another it is the job of the party to respect that. If the people decide after the fact they don't like the person they voted for then it sucks to be them.

Replacing him would be suicide... but it would also make for very entertaining television so why not? Go for it, I say! We're stuck with President Hillary either way so why settle for a simple train wreck when you can have a train wreck with a marching band and fireworks?:lol:

Makes sense. At this point there is no choice other than Trump. He won fair and square. Taking him out through some devious maneuverings only proves Trumpsters correct and the Repub candidate gets 25% of the vote in the general.

The irony here is that they don't want Trump but they voted for Trump. Could be buyer's remorse?

Trump got about 45% of the vote, when all was said and done.

So, basically, he's managed to keep the portion of the GOP base who supported him in the primary.... and that's about it.

He won the primary elections. Changing the rules in a practically unprecedented fashion in order to invalidate all of those elections would be absolutely horrendous. As much as I despise a Trump nomination, he won fair and square in the process that was set forth. However little chance there is that I'd ever vote for Trump, there'd be even less that I'd vote for someone nominated in such an unscrupulous and despicable fashion.

If the voters vote one way or another it is the job of the party to respect that. If the people decide after the fact they don't like the person they voted for then it sucks to be them.

I thought it was the parties job to promote the political will and positions of the members...

He won the primary elections. Changing the rules in a practically unprecedented fashion in order to invalidate all of those elections would be absolutely horrendous.
Yeah, except it's not really unprecedented. The modern primary system only really went into effect in 1968; before then, it was routine for top party members to pick the candidate.

In fact, I'd say that stopping Trump might be undemocratic, but also exactly what delegates are for. They are a circuit breaker, to prevent the public from doing something extremely stupid, such as nominating an authoritarian with no respect for the rule of law.

As much as I despise a Trump nomination, he won fair and square in the process that was set forth. However little chance there is that I'd ever vote for Trump, there'd be even less that I'd vote for someone nominated in such an unscrupulous and despicable fashion.
You're assuming that the primaries are democratic in the first place -- or that Trump wouldn't try to change the rules if it suited him. While it's more democratic than party elites picking someone, it's also pretty thoroughly compromised by now, and has resulted in a profoundly unpopular candidate who just might kill the Republican ticket all the way down the line.

Trump is the horse they put into the race. No viable option remains now but to run that sucker. Win or lose.

Trump got about 45% of the vote, when all was said and done.

So, basically, he's managed to keep the portion of the GOP base who supported him in the primary.... and that's about it.

He still got more votes than any other candidate by far. Way to take responsibility for nominating a wanker. Make excuses. LOL. :mrgreen:

He still got more votes than any other candidate by far. Way to take responsibility for nominating a wanker. Make excuses. LOL. :mrgreen:

Hey now! I didn't nominate this moron. I voted for Rubio.

But yeah. Way too many ambitious politicians kinda screwed us, there.

I also voted for Rubio, I have a very very very hard time voting for Trump and likely won't. I think Hillary is more despicable and disgusting so I'll likely vote 3rd party in protest of the current nominees.

I also voted for Rubio, I have a very very very hard time voting for Trump and likely won't. I think Hillary is more despicable and disgusting so I'll likely vote 3rd party in protest of the current nominees.

You and me both. Currently I'm voting for Kenniston of the Veterans Party. I wanted to pull for Austin Petersen, but Gary Johnson picked up the Libertarian Nomination by telling the party he'd bring them legitimacy.... and then went to a CNN townhall with Weld and told America they thought Obama had done a solid job as President, and Hillary was both a wonderful person and highly qualified to be President. Oh, and that you had a positive right to Abortion. :doh

You and me both. Currently I'm voting for Kenniston of the Veterans Party. I wanted to pull for Austin Petersen, but Gary Johnson picked up the Libertarian Nomination by telling the party he'd bring them legitimacy.... and then went to a CNN townhall with Weld and told America they thought Obama had done a solid job as President, and Hillary was both a wonderful person and highly qualified to be President. Oh, and that you had a positive right to Abortion. :doh

I honestly fear bat**** crazy liberals running the country more over a Trump presidency, America cannot afford that (especially with the open SCOTUS). Where I live my vote doesn't matter so much, so I'm confident in voting 3rd party. If I lived in a swing state I'd likely reconsider and try to weigh the lesser of two very large evils.

I honestly fear bat**** crazy liberals running the country more over a Trump presidency

See, I don't really think that the first item you list there isn't the second.

America cannot afford that (especially with the open SCOTUS).

SCOTUS was lost in Indiana, bro :(

Where I live my vote doesn't matter so much, so I'm confident in voting 3rd party. If I lived in a swing state I'd likely reconsider and try to weigh the lesser of two very large evils.

I can understand that impetus.

To an extent, it was forces outside your party that where a big part of his getting the nomination. It is kinda like Sanders. Sanders was not a democrat and was actively hostile to the party unless he wanted something("I will kiss you ass a couple weeks for a plum committee posting"), who ran as a democrat to use the name and resources, whose support largely came from outside the party. I would have been pissed if he got the nomination. Democrats should decide who we are, and who will represent us. You guys show just how bad that situation could be.

Why? Not every state had a vote. The delegate system isn't dependent on votes. In some states that had a vote, Democrats could vote in the Republican primary and go for the clown. If a huckster who's never been a Republican cons a lot of suckers into voting for him, why can't the Republican Party say, "Feel free to run but not as our candidate." Dishonest Donald has run for the Reform Party before. He doesn't care what party, what platform, as long as he gets to be king and makes a bundle of money.

Last edited:
What people are voting for is the beginning of the end for the two party system picking our candidates for us. A lot of us don't like Trump, but like the idea of changing the rules so that the Parties aren't the ones choosing the candidates. I think that I can speak for most folks when I say that while Trump is a turd, at least he's not the same kind of turd that's filling up all our lawns. We are hoping that this will encourage changes within the parties so that it's not the Party Machines that are choosing the candidates, but the People. Trump is far from our ideal candidate, but at least he's a step in a direction away from the two-party system that runs our gov't. I'd love to see the left put up a true outsider (no, Sanders is NOT an outsider, he's just another insider with a different suit on) to challenge the Dem status quo. Like conservatives or not, at least we're trying to change things, something that the Dems. have forgotten was one of their greatest strengths.

I thought it was the parties job to promote the political will and positions of the members...

You would think that is so, but the actions of the elites of both parties say otherwise.

That's why we have Trump on one side and why we almost had Sanders on the other side.

What's ironic is you thinking that your statement has any validity.

He won the primary elections. Changing the rules in a practically unprecedented fashion in order to invalidate all of those elections would be absolutely horrendous. As much as I despise a Trump nomination, he won fair and square in the process that was set forth. However little chance there is that I'd ever vote for Trump, there'd be even less that I'd vote for someone nominated in such an unscrupulous and despicable fashion.

Parties shouldn't be held to suicide nominations if it becomes clear the chosen candidate is unviable. Trump has no working election machine, no fund raising apparatus, is reliant upon a "friendly" media to give him cover and is hoping the GOP not only organizes but foots the majority of the cost to run his national campaign.

That is before you talk about his tanking polling numbers.

Trumps dead weight, the GOP has every RIGHT to drop his dumb ass, but then, the GOP let him happen by not following through on campaign promises and backing people like "Jeb" so it's a problem of the party's own creation.

Back
Top Bottom