• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Poll... Have you ever needed a gun to protect yourself?

Have you ever needed a gun to protect yourself?

• Total voters
Translation: I'd rather become a victim, and not piss the criminals off, just do what they say.

Translation: I like to completely misrepresent what people say since I cannot argue against it with any kind of logic or honesty.

And there are situations where even having a firearm won't leave you intact. So what? The fact is, the overwhelming majority of situations, you will never find yourself needing a weapon so long as you take reasonable care. The very, very few where it may be of some use, it's also likely that it'll get used against you.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but the bolded statement is just pure nonsense. It brings up visions of old movies, with frightened women pointing a gun at man and saying shakily "Keep back! I'll shoot!" and standing there shaking while the man slowly walks up and snatches the gun out of her hands effortlessly.

BS.

Someone else put it eloquently in another thread one time: "If snatching a gun away from someone is so damn easy, then when a criminal snatches your gun just snatch it back!" :mrgreen:

I've worked force-on-force exercises with other law-enforcement officers AND with ordinary citizens, using body armor and "blueguns" firing low-velocity marking rounds, on the issues of close combat, disarming and so forth. As I have said, guns are not magic wands, but if the person with the firearm has any understanding of the dynamics of combat and the decision-making process for response, simply "snatching" their gun away is not likely to happen. If they've had "retention" training (which I teach to private citizens) it is even less likely.

Police officers, who carry a gun out in the open and are often required to move into contact range to effect an arrest, are far more likely to be subject to disarming attacks, than a private citizen with a CONCEALED weapon permit... yet you don't see police giving up their sidearms for fear they will be used against them.

It happens once in a while. I'm sure you could find some news story citing an example. But you imply that it is LIKELY that they'd just take your gun away from you, and that is nonesense.

"They'll use your gun against you" is an outdated anti-gun sound-bite bit of nonsense that rarely happens in the real world, to any armed person who has the smallest clue what they're doing.

Last edited:
Translation: I like to completely misrepresent what people say since I cannot argue against it with any kind of logic or honesty.

It is logic and honesty. What anti-gun people are saying is that they are so afraid of being incompetent with a weapon of personal defense that they would rather allow themselves to be victims of violence than to defend themselves.

If you disagree, care to explain yourself?

It is logic and honesty. What anti-gun people are saying is that they are so afraid of being incompetent with a weapon of personal defense that they would rather allow themselves to be victims of violence than to defend themselves.

That is not at all what he is saying. He is right, the vast majority of the time people will never have need of a gun. I am over 40, have lived in big cities and small towns, and never once have needed a gun for protection.

That is not at all what he is saying. He is right, the vast majority of the time people will never have need of a gun. I am over 40, have lived in big cities and small towns, and never once have needed a gun for protection.

So, when he stated that for the vast majority of situations you will not need a gun as long as you take 'reasonable care'.... What exactly does that mean?

"They'll use your gun against you" is an outdated anti-gun sound-bite bit of nonsense that rarely happens in the real world, to any armed person who has the smallest clue what they're doing.

Which reminds me... I need to go sign up for some classes I wanted to take here: Grayghost Tactical, Inc.

Looking forward to learning how to weild those weapons.

I will go so far as to say that if you practice reasonable security proceedures and actively avoid dangerous situations or suspicious individuals, it is entirely possible that you will go through life and never find yourself in a situation where you wish you were armed.

Possible but far from certain.

I'd like to point out some statistics...

Crime in the United States
Chance of Any Single Individual Being a Victim of Violent Crime In Their Lifetime: Currently about 65 to 70%, depending on age, profession, lifestyle, geographic and demographic factors.(US DoJ, FBI UCR)

Some of us prefer not to take the chance... especially those of us who have already found ourselves in a "situation".

Never needed one.

Would have been useful a couple of times, such as a time I was held up at knife point, but it wasn't "necessary" as things were dealt with even without the gun.

If the guy had a gun instead of a knife, I would have needed a gun though, cause even I'm not dumb enough to try and take the gun off of the guy. Luckily knives don't shoot projectiles. :lol:

Let's see, where to start? There is a nice little scar on my left thumb from when a guy pulled a knife on me in a parking lot, I grabbed his wrist and he turned it on me, when I threatened to break his neck instead of panicking he put the knife away and backed off, a gun would have convinced him before blood was drawn but I didn't own one at the time. Then there was the time I was unarmed because I was helping with an airport function and left it home.....I went to meet friends downtown and witnessed a scumbag wailing on his girlfriend, because he looked armed I didn't elevate the situation too quickly for fear she could get seriously hurt and luckily she got the best of him before I decided the best course, if I had my gun I could have backed him off and it is a legit pull in La. because third party defense is legal as an extension of self defense law. Then there was the couple arguing in a convenience store to the point they refused to leave and were scaring the hell out of the poor clerk......I stuck around to back him and fortunately the crowd got the situation under control, no pull but it was an option. Then there was a former friend of mine getting stalked at her place of work, the idiot wouldn't leave the parking lot after closing so I let him see me rack & ready the pistol........he left the premises in a timely manner. Then there was a guy eyeballing me like he was going to attempt something stupid in another parking lot, he stopped his plans after I mouthed "I'm armed don't try it". Can't think of any other incidences a.t.m.

Yes, several times. I frequently have to carry large sums of money for a short while and criminals have in the past and may at some future point, show up and offer to liberate me of my money and or my life. Also I have spent a lot of time in back country situations where I would make a tasty morsel for a bear, but I only came close to having to shoot an animal on one of those trips once. And it was a moose not a bear, so ya never know what you are going to need a gun for!;)

No, I have never even held a gun.

I have never been in a situation where a gun was necessary.

I do what I can to live a sustainable life. I have a place in the woods with several good-sized organic gardens where I grow veggies, fruits, and berries, and I raise chickens for their eggs.

On several occasions, I've had to scare off predators (killed a few, too). That's life in the woods.

Only once have I had to get my gun out for protection against humans. Here's the tale:

The nearest neighbors (on the other side of a 5-acre wooded parcel) had gone out of town, leaving their two older sons home. But the boys were working late into the evening (sound mixers for a concert in the big city) and were not expected to be home till at least two or three in the morning, so I was left in charge of the neighbors' pets and home for the night.

Around 10 p.m., I hear noises out in the woods between our houses. Keep in mind, I'm at the end of a gravel road that's at the end of a gravel road in the middle of nowhere - people don't just wander by and decide to stop and check things out, and certainly not in the middle of the night.

So... I turn off the TV and lights and listen closer. Voices. Crashing around through the brush. Shouts. I peek out the window. Flashlights - at least three or four. :shock:

I slam a couple rounds into my Mossberg, yank open the front door, jack the gun (there's nothing like that noise in the world!) and shout:

"I don't care who you are, you'd better get the **** out of my woods."

Silence.

Then, a timid voice from the darkness: "Glinda, was that your gun?"

Turns out the last act of the show canceled out and the kids came home early. The boys brought along a few of their city friends for an evening of snipe hunting, and didn't they have a story to tell when they got home?!

:lamo

I wish there was an "other" option. I was eating a Sonic once and two gang members came up and started shooting up the place. I didn't have a gun and I just ran with my friends and we got in our cars and drove off immediately. I didn't "need" a gun, but had I not had a vehicle handy I would have. Even so, having a gun in this situation would have been best and safest for me and others.

I wish there was an "other" option. I was eating a Sonic once and two gang members came up and started shooting up the place. I didn't have a gun and I just ran with my friends and we got in our cars and drove off immediately. I didn't "need" a gun, but had I not had a vehicle handy I would have. Even so, having a gun in this situation would have been best and safest for me and others.
That goes into the yes column. If you couldn't have gotten to your car because say....it was facing the danger, or they cut off the doors then you would not have survived unarmed.

I do what I can to live a sustainable life. I have a place in the woods with several good-sized organic gardens where I grow veggies, fruits, and berries, and I raise chickens for their eggs.

On several occasions, I've had to scare off predators (killed a few, too). That's life in the woods.

Only once have I had to get my gun out for protection against humans. Here's the tale:

The nearest neighbors (on the other side of a 5-acre wooded parcel) had gone out of town, leaving their two older sons home. But the boys were working late into the evening (sound mixers for a concert in the big city) and were not expected to be home till at least two or three in the morning, so I was left in charge of the neighbors' pets and home for the night.

Around 10 p.m., I hear noises out in the woods between our houses. Keep in mind, I'm at the end of a gravel road that's at the end of a gravel road in the middle of nowhere - people don't just wander by and decide to stop and check things out, and certainly not in the middle of the night.

So... I turn off the TV and lights and listen closer. Voices. Crashing around through the brush. Shouts. I peek out the window. Flashlights - at least three or four. :shock:

I slam a couple rounds into my Mossberg, yank open the front door, jack the gun (there's nothing like that noise in the world!) and shout:

"I don't care who you are, you'd better get the **** out of my woods."

Silence.

Then, a timid voice from the darkness: "Glinda, was that your gun?"

Turns out the last act of the show canceled out and the kids came home early. The boys brought along a few of their city friends for an evening of snipe hunting, and didn't they have a story to tell when they got home?!

:lamo
That is hilarious, probably would have been a good idea for them to announce to you that your services were appreciated and not needed further.

That is hilarious, probably would have been a good idea for them to announce to you that your services were appreciated and not needed further.

That story has become a part of the local lore, around here. ;) The whole neighborhood knows "there's a crazy lady at the end of that road with a shotgun," and the story is spreading into town. My chiropractor tells it to every patient in the place, whenever I visit.

Trust me, everyone lets me know they're coming well before showing up. I'm a legend in my own time.

:mrgreen:

Translation: I'd rather become a victim, and not piss the criminals off, just do what they say.

No, I'd rather not meet up with the criminals in the first place so there's never a crime to be a victim of.

Or didn't you get that part?

Please quote where I said anything about being anti-gun. You're just pulling that out of your ass. I never said anything whatsoever about being for or against firearms.

Do try again.

No, I'd rather not meet up with the criminals in the first place so there's never a crime to be a victim of.

Or didn't you get that part?

Umm... You can't choose that unless you decide to be a Hermit.

Even then, someone might decide they wanted to turn your widdle Hermit shack into a nice crack house.

Back
Top Bottom