• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Poll: GOP sees Orlando as terror, Dems see it as gun violence

truthatallcost

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Washington (CNN) — There's a significant difference in how Republicans and Democrats view the nation's deadliest shooting, according to a recent poll.

The majority of Republicans -- 79% -- believe the incident at an LGBT Orlando nightclub, in which Omar Mateen killed 49 people after pledging allegiance to ISIS, was "Islamic terrorism" In contrast, only 29% of Democrats labeled the shooting that way, according to the Gallup poll. Most Democrats -- 60% -- saw the massacre as an act of "domestic gun violence." Only 16% of Republicans viewed the killings as such

Poll on Orlando: GOP sees terror, Dems see gun violence - CNNPolitics.com

Most Republicans see a terrorist attack and call it a terrorist attack. Most Democrats see the same terrorist attack and call it "domestic gun violence".

What do you think? Islamic terror or domestic gun violence?
Comments?

Both. He was a radical Islamist and he was a natural-born American citizen. His motivation was a combination of radical Islam and good old-fashioned homophobia.

It doesn't matter what the Republicans and Democrats are calling the problem, because both their solutions are wrong.

Both. He was a radical Islamist and he was a natural-born American citizen. His motivation was a combination of radical Islam and good old-fashioned homophobia.

It doesn't matter what the Republicans and Democrats are calling the problem, because both their solutions are wrong.

You think shooting 49 people at a gay club is "good old-fashioned homophobia"? :doh

I was hoping the left would learn from this unfortunate event that ISIS should be a bigger deal to the LGBT than bakers not wanting to bake them a wedding cake.

You think shooting 49 people at a gay club is "good old-fashioned homophobia"? :doh

You think violence against homosexuals is new?

I was hoping the left would learn from this unfortunate event that ISIS should be a bigger deal to the LGBT than bakers not wanting to bake them a wedding cake.

I was hoping they'd actually focus on homophobia and social alienation.

Hit the nail on the head.

99% of Afghani Muslims, and 91% of Iraqi Muslims want Sharia Law enforced by the government. When immigrants from those and other Muslim nations migrate to the US, I'm doubtful that they're going to drop their culture, and support individual freedom.

This type of violence against gays is new. I've never heard of 49 people being singled out for death in one fell swoop, based solely on their sexual orientation, in the western world.

I believe that it is important to distinguish between this case and the average case of anti-gay violence, which might amount to a few scrapes or bruises for someone.

What if more people of the same faith commit copy cat crimes?

Neither. This is a hate crime.

All Islamic terrorism amounts to hate crimes. They can talk about caliphate bs yada yada, but someone who isn't full of hate couldn't commit crimes like Bataclan and San Bernardino.

There's a big difference between the umbrella term "violence" and the deadliest mass shooting.

Look, I'm not going to support gay marriage or other things many believe are "gay rights". At the same time, I'm not going to go shooting any unless they try to harm my family. You can call my beliefs "good old-fashioned homophobia" if you want for all I care, but I suggest putting the biggest threats to the LGBT at the top of your priority list if you want to support them.

Maybe if you don't support gay rights, you should stop pretending you give a **** about them now. You're part of the problem.

Maybe if you don't support gay rights, you should stop pretending you give a **** about them now. You're part of the problem.

That's such a cop out man. Someone can not support gay marriage, and still not want to see innocent people get killed for being gay.

There's a real reluctance here to address the elephant in the room, and instead take pot shots at people who pose no threat to LGBT lives.

That's such a cop out man. Someone can not support gay marriage, and still not want to see innocent people get killed for being gay.

No, it's not. That is a cop out. If you don't believe that gays deserve equal rights, you are contributing to the attitudes that make some people think it's okay to kill them.

i've been arguing this whole time that should be focus, but careful or X will accuse you of 'taking advantage' of the tragedy

Most Republicans see a terrorist attack and call it a terrorist attack. Most Democrats see the same terrorist attack and call it "domestic gun violence".

Comments?

Orlando was about cultural upbringing, self-hatred, prejudice and finding a place to park it in a country that is increasingly narrow-minded and intolerant. Fundamentalist Islam was all too happy to step up and offer a cause. Finding the exact cause is like trying to untangle a box of coat hangers. I don't believe there was one reason.

I see an insane person go on a killing spree...that is all I see.

Comments?

It's Islamic terrorism, but there are also a variety of factors that also played into this situation. But still, I think Islam was the main motivation for why the perpetrator committed this heinous act of violence.

I see an insane person go on a killing spree...that is all I see.

Can you give me an example of rational terrorism?

Can you give me an example of rational terrorism?

I don't see the Orlando attack as a terrorist action.

'Simple Definition of terrorism
: the use of violent acts to frighten the people in an area as a way of trying to achieve a political goal'

Terrorism | Definition of Terrorism by Merriam-Webster

This guy had no apparent political goal...he just went nuts and wanted to kill people. He just used ISIL/ISIS as an excuse, IMO.

And I don't much care if others see it as terrorism...I don't.

Last edited:
No, it's not. That is a cop out. If you don't believe that gays deserve equal rights, you are contributing to the attitudes that make some people think it's okay to kill them.

Nonsense. Radical Imams who filled Mateen's ears with affirmations about killing gays are the only ones who are responsible, besides Mateen himself.

Hit the nail on the head.

99% of Afghani Muslims, and 91% of Iraqi Muslims want Sharia Law enforced by the government.
When immigrants from those and other Muslim nations migrate to the US, I'm doubtful that they're going to drop their culture, and support individual freedom.

I predict that will never happen in the USA.

If you have other ideas,explain them to us.

Back
Top Bottom