• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

POLL: Christians facing increased persecution in USA...

MickeyW

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
A poll finds that, in just two years, the number of Americans who think Christians are facing growing intolerance in the U.S. has drastically increased.

Sixty-three percent of respondents in the LifeWay Research survey said they agree or strongly agree that Christians are facing growing levels of persecution, up from 50 percent in 2013. The bulk of that surge comes from respondents who said they “strongly agree” with the statement, a number that increased from 28 percent to 38 percent.

Christians facing increased persecution in America: poll - Washington Times

A poll finds that, in just two years, the number of Americans who think Christians are facing growing intolerance in the U.S. has drastically increased.

Sixty-three percent of respondents in the LifeWay Research survey said they agree or strongly agree that Christians are facing growing levels of persecution, up from 50 percent in 2013. The bulk of that surge comes from respondents who said they “strongly agree” with the statement, a number that increased from 28 percent to 38 percent.

Sure they are, or so say a high percentage of the 1000 polled. I personally liked the guy dragging the cross, it is how I envision those fellow Christians that whine about how they are being persecuted by the government and society, dragging around their own cross by choice. Strange thing, whenever asked to point out some of these so-called persecutions they have a hard time listing some good examples. Oh well, seems like we have had to listen to this nonsense for decades now and will get more of the same in the future.

"It's not fair! Before we were doing the persecuting!"

I always hear about how my brothers and sisters in Christ are being persecuted in America. Every time, I wonder what the hell they're talking about, still am.

Theatrics!

I believe that some militant atheists would prefer that all religions are treated as a disease and be "clinically treated" and not acceptable forms of behavior.
I don't think we are anywhere near that or returning to a time when Christians have to draw a fish in the sand to communicate.
But Christians do not have the monopoly on these claims either. Most (not all by any means) Americans who claim "persecution" have no real concept of the words they use.

Its called self defense. When Christians feel the need to intrude into non-christians social and medical choices, choices that affect Christians either minimally or not at all, expect those groups to fight back. Most people have a relative or close friend that is gay. Most of the hate filled rhetoric about the subject is Christian in origin, accompanied by scripture at times. The crazy brand of pro-lifers are notoriously Christian, doing gods work, assassinating baby killer docs, shoving posters of post abortive fetuses in the faces of women on their way into a clinic, some of who are in the middle of a very difficult and deeply personal decision, some of which are just there for routine health screening or pre natal care. The Westboro Baptist Church did a lot to improve Christianity's public image too. Sexual reeducation camps. Attempt after attempt to get the law between women and abortion access, revert LGBTs back to second class sub humans, legally protect people who decide they don't want to do their job because they disagree with someone else's choices and conveniently remove access to a required state license in the process. The list goes on, this is just off the top of my head.

Christianity clearly doesn't deserve to be the target of anyone's anger. Pure as the driven snow they be.....

Perhaps if they did a little less persecution, they'd be persecuted less.

I'll add the qualifier that while these types of Christians are often the loudest in the room, they are not the majority. Unfortunately the media often fails to differentiate between the two if they think it will grab your attention. There certainly are many many Christians out there who don't participate in this sort of stuff and generally they don't agree with it, in my experience anyway.

But some feel they're in the middle of a war, where everything is at stake and any means is justified by the ends. If there is a hell, I do hope there's a special, particularly miserable little corner for these people, for they do all their fellow Christians a disservice by sowing resentment for them all.

Oh, I bet there are plenty of people who think Christians are facing growing intolerance. They aren't, but I'm sure people think it.

Sure they are, or so say a high percentage of the 1000 polled. I personally liked the guy dragging the cross, it is how I envision those fellow Christians that whine about how they are being persecuted by the government and society, dragging around their own cross by choice. Strange thing, whenever asked to point out some of these so-called persecutions they have a hard time listing some good examples. Oh well, seems like we have had to listen to this nonsense for decades now and will get more of the same in the future.

There is plenty of documentation on the subject.....most who will go overboard defending the likes of obama or Hillary and research things, don't bother to research this.

"It's not fair! Before we were doing the persecuting!"

Not for hundreds of years.......let's stay current shall we.

I always hear about how my brothers and sisters in Christ are being persecuted in America. Every time, I wonder what the hell they're talking about, still am.

Theatrics!

Nope. Being forced to bake a wedding cake for a gay wedding is wrong. Any good Christian should have the right to refuse aiding and abetting that perversion!

I believe that some militant atheists would prefer that all religions are treated as a disease and be "clinically treated" and not acceptable forms of behavior.
I don't think we are anywhere near that or returning to a time when Christians have to draw a fish in the sand to communicate.
But Christians do not have the monopoly on these claims either. Most (not all by any means) Americans who claim "persecution" have no real concept of the words they use.

No they don't..Jews are going through the same crapola!

Oh, I bet there are plenty of people who think Christians are facing growing intolerance. They aren't, but I'm sure people think it.

Yes...they are...worldwide!

Yes...they are...worldwide!

Oh there are certainly places in the world where Christians are actually persecuted, but the US (which is the subject of your linked article) isn't one of them.

Not for hundreds of years.......let's stay current shall we.
I am. If what Christians in America are going through is "persecution," then what they've been doing to homosexuals is also persecution.

Nope. Being forced to bake a wedding cake for a gay wedding is wrong. Any good Christian should have the right to refuse aiding and abetting that perversion!

They said that about interracial weddings too and I still don't give a **** what they think.

There is plenty of documentation on the subject.....most who will go overboard defending the likes of obama or Hillary and research things, don't bother to research this.

Maybe you can supply a few links to all this documentation on Christian Persecution?

Christianity clearly doesn't deserve to be the target of anyone's anger. Pure as the driven snow they be.....

Perhaps if they did a little less persecution, they'd be persecuted less.

Would you make the same argument about the persecution of Muslims or African Americans?

I mean, the most obvious and egregious examples of the behavior of a small minority of those demographic groups could just as easily be held of as exemplary of why the groups as a whole are persecuted in certain circles.

Is it your contention that because small numbers of Muslims and African Americans do things which are infinitely more violent and troublesome than what the radical far right Christians you've mentioned do, the Muslims and African Americans should be that much more persecuted?

I'll add, just so it's clear where I actually stand on this, that as a Christian I do not feel persecuted at all living in America today. I practice my faith as I see fit, am openly Christian to no ill effect, and live my life the way I believe I should live it without being subject to any undue influence, scrutiny, or consequence as a result. I think people are growing more and more tired of Christian symbolism and message in the town square, but that doesn't effect me one bit and I have no real problem with it. If my community doesn't want a Nativity set up on the police station lawn during the Christmas holiday season that doesn't really subject me to any manner of persecution. If society starts to tell me that I can't set up my Nativity on my own lawn then maybe I'll begin to feel differently about things. Until then I'm not going to waste my time being offended at the idea that other people are so easily offended that they need to create a community-wide religious safe place for themselves. They're self-absorbed, thin-skinned, neurotic cry babies, but they're not persecutors.

Last edited:

Well, as a Christian myself, I have yet to see this persecution some speak of, hey if I am going to be persecuted I want to be prepared, problem is none of those that make these claims can ever post to any happening here in the US.

Agree with most of that. But there is some irony here. Most Americans reflexively think of religion in Christian terms. So it is illegal to do a public prayer or benediction. Now prayer is simply an earnest request and a benediction is simply uttering a blessing. Arguably these can be considered simply secular free speech but since this is a Judeo-Christian culture those are outlawed as "religious" speech. We don't understand much of Islamic or Buddhist or animist so those are not considered religious and are not outlawed. So Christians are subjected to more scrutiny.
A National Park can post some Chief Seattle quote about the Earth is our Mother or tell a story about the goddess of fire Pele and that is simply story telling or acceptable somehow. But saying God our Father probably is illegal. As an agnostic, I believe that, no, the earth is not our mother and saying that is religious nonsense.
I think that all speech should be allowed in schools and in public as attempts to ban it seems discriminatory to the Christian majority. There must be a better system of avoiding the problem of dictatorship of the majority than simply substituting dictatorship of a minority.

Persecution - Definition
Persecution is the systematic mistreatment of an individual or group by another individual or group.

Persecuted Christians in America: Fact or Fiction?

Articles: Persecution of Christians in America: It's Not Just 'Over There'

Persecution of Christians on rise – in U.S.

Plenty of SPECIFIC EXAMPLES included.
Speak of noone presenting a single shred of evidence again and your credibility is gone permanently.

Many people that claim to be Christians are simply deceitful.

err merr gerrddd.....the poor poor christians.....

:roll:

"When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression."

Persecution - Definition
Persecution is the systematic mistreatment of an individual or group by another individual or group.

Speak of noone presenting a single shred of evidence again and your credibility is gone permanently.

Actually there are not plenty of examples included, most of the few actual instances had nothing to do with the person faith but everything to do with them breaking laws or codes. Nice sources, all known biased sources that have been shown to stretch the truth or conveniently leave out part of the facts to present a different "truth" I have never as a Christian been persecuted and do not know even one that has claimed to have experienced any such thing. So unless you have many examples of this occurring across this Nation I will continue to say someone is full of something when they make these false accusations and by doing so are going against the teachings of the Savior, but that is between you and Him to discuss.

Any Christian (of which I am) who believes they're being "persecuted" in the US really has no idea what persecution is. We have Christian brothers and sisters literally dying for their faith in other parts of the world and we dishonor them by claiming we're suffering as they are.

I can be pretty defensive about my faith, but we really need to stop sounding like thin skinned whiners.

I am. If what Christians in America are going through is "persecution," then what they've been doing to homosexuals is also persecution.
They said that about interracial weddings too and I still don't give a **** what they think.
I would add this.
Who has forced anyone to bake a cake? Was it done at gun point? Did I miss something?

Agree with most of that. But there is some irony here. Most Americans reflexively think of religion in Christian terms. So it is illegal to do a public prayer or benediction. Now prayer is simply an earnest request and a benediction is simply uttering a blessing. Arguably these can be considered simply secular free speech but since this is a Judeo-Christian culture those are outlawed as "religious" speech. We don't understand much of Islamic or Buddhist or animist so those are not considered religious and are not outlawed. So Christians are subjected to more scrutiny.
A National Park can post some Chief Seattle quote about the Earth is our Mother or tell a story about the goddess of fire Pele and that is simply story telling or acceptable somehow. But saying God our Father probably is illegal. As an agnostic, I believe that, no, the earth is not our mother and saying that is religious nonsense.
I think that all speech should be allowed in schools and in public as attempts to ban it seems discriminatory to the Christian majority. There must be a better system of avoiding the problem of dictatorship of the majority than simply substituting dictatorship of a minority.
I can't really agree with some this.
1 - How is prayer or religious utterances illegal? My brother prays in restaurants all the time as I've noted in a different thread. It isn't illegal to talk about God or to pray in public. Not in the U.S. at least.
2 - Considering what the Native Americans went through, I think posting some of their quotes is the least we can do.
3 - Absolutely no. Free speech is not and should not be extended to kids in schools. Children should not be allowed to cuss out teachers, make rude or crude jokes in class, and several other things that adults can do in public. This also extends to the work place for adults.

Persecution - Definition
I don't tend to trust FOX news as an unbiased reporter of facts so...
Beyond that. If I leave and go home and am beaten in the street because I wear glasses. Does that mean glasses wearers are being persecuted? No.
Individual cases are not examples of persecution which in your own definition is towards a group by another GROUP. What entire groups are persecuting Christians?

No added value to the debate.
If any of the FOX news stories posted above are true then it should not happen. People should not be charged money just for being of a certain religion, people should not be taken to task for having a prayer group or prayer circle, etc. IF the stories are true (and with FOX I would not doubt if some are exaggerated).
Persecution? Perhaps not. But prejudice against a group only goes to validate the OP.

As for groups Christians have persecuted? Why would someone who thinks Christians are terrible want to lower themselves to their level?

"When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression."
There are times when Christians believe they should have more power over the country than they should. There are times when all groups feel this way and its unrealistic no matter the group.
Not sure why it always comes down to lines drawn in the sand but that seems to be more and more the case.

Would you make the same argument about the persecution of Muslims or African Americans?

I mean, the most obvious and egregious examples of the behavior of a small minority of those demographic groups could just as easily be held of as exemplary of why the groups as a whole are persecuted in certain circles.

Is it your contention that because small numbers of Muslims and African Americans do things which are infinitely more violent and troublesome than what the radical far right Christians you've mentioned do, the Muslims and African Americans should be that much more persecuted?

Obviously I'm not suggesting that, since in the same post you quoted I specifically stated most Christians aren't those kind of Christians. I'm suggesting that, if Christians feel persecuted, the reason can be found under their own roof. Some Christians, in the name of Christianity, fight tooth and nail by any means available against abortion access and LGBT equality. Those that support those causes are thus left with a certain impression, and are in fact on guard against further efforts from this segment of Christianity. Some, mistakenly, probably project their feelings towards this small segment onto the group as a whole. Its actually almost identical to the situation with muslims, and how muslim terrorists, a very small minority among muslims, have many people wary of the entire religion. Its not right, but its not exactly a surprise either. What would help is hearing some Christians, in the name of Christianity, preach tolerance, understanding, and in the end personal responsibility, rather than this high handed, holier than thou, condescending paternal attitude that you see in the media too often. I know only Catholics follow the pope, but he seems to be on the right track.

I'll add, just so it's clear where I actually stand on this, that as a Christian I do not feel persecuted at all living in America today. I practice my faith as I see fit, am openly Christian to no ill effect, and live my life the way I believe I should live it without being subject to any undue influence, scrutiny, or consequence as a result. I think people are growing more and more tired of Christian symbolism and message in the town square, but that doesn't effect me one bit and I have no real problem with it. If my community doesn't want a Nativity set up on the police station lawn during the Christmas holiday season that doesn't really subject me to any manner of persecution. If society starts to tell me that I can't set up my Nativity on my own lawn then maybe I'll begin to feel differently about things. Until then I'm not going to waste my time being offended at the idea that other people are so easily offended that they need to create a community-wide religious safe place for themselves. They're self-absorbed, thin-skinned, neurotic cry babies, but they're not persecutors.

I mostly agree with you here. Holiday decorations are no big deal, as long as its all or nothing. Even if they only allowed Christian stuff I wouldn't waste the energy to complain. I draw the line when religion is used to justify laws, policies, or actions by the government or those representing it.

There are countries in the world where Christians are persecuted. The US ain't one them.

Any Christian (of which I am) who believes they're being "persecuted" in the US really has no idea what persecution is. We have Christian brothers and sisters literally dying for their faith in other parts of the world and we dishonor them by claiming we're suffering as they are.

I can be pretty defensive about my faith, but we really need to stop sounding like thin skinned whiners.

could've fooled me, with all the "RFRA"s out there

i might agree that there's more outspoken intolerance in recent years, but it's very isolated and nothing like persecution

i think those who are convinced they're victims are just upset they can no longer victimize others

Christians....the message in this thread should be loud and clear.....

No matter what, your treatment will never be considered persecution.......no amount of suffering, no amount of inequity, no amount of bloodshed....

Because to those in this thread making excuses, you deserve MUCH worse. Death preferably.

It is long past time for people of faith and decency to understand that a movement is afoot that will eventually lead to your bloodshed. Better wise up and rise up SOON.

Back
Top Bottom