• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Poll: Americans reject GOP shutdown strategy[W:200]

Re: Poll: Americans reject GOP shutdown strategy

That's funny.

Cute even.

You actually believe that someone in Congress is interested in federal laws and that this isn't just the Tea Party attempting to poke President Obama in the eye on ACA kickoff day.

Awwww!

Since these Tea Baggers are "men and women of law and principal" I'm sure they won't knuckle under in a couple of days here and come to terms with the Democrats.

LOL

No dude, this was a stunt, pure and simple.

Post up a couple links of individual Tea Partiers being quoted as citing the anti-deficiency act as the reason for this shutdown.

Cuz after all, we're interested in their stated reasons for doing what they're doing, not discussion forum pundits rolling out reason # 3,467 for why they might be doing it.

Sigh.

The interpretation of the Anti-Deficiency Act that results in a govt shutdown during these disputes came into being during the Carter administration. Last I checked, the Carter administration was subsequent to the FDR administration.

Maybe a little "freshening-up" on your history is in order, hmm?

Show me one Republican that campaigned on shutting down the Government.

The Democrats shutdown the Government by the unwillingness to compromise, and their unwillingness to put forth a budget.

Why would we ever negotiate something that there is nothing to negotiate about just because you put a gun to the head of the American public?

Why would we ever negotiate something that there is nothing to negotiate about just because you put a gun to the head of the American public?

Nothing to negotiate? :lamo

Show me one Republican that campaigned on shutting down the Government.

The Democrats shutdown the Government by the unwillingness to compromise, and their unwillingness to put forth a budget.

Lynn Westmoreland did for one at a Christian Colition meeting in 2010. Thats just one. Not to mention Gebhart, Paul, Bachman and a host of others. Lol you are fixing to look insanly stupid with your comment.

There is plenty to negotiate about, namely the individual mandate and the taxes.

Lynn Westmoreland did for one at a Christian Colition meeting in 2010. Thats just one. Not to mention Gebhart, Paul, Bachman and a host of others. Lol you are fixing to look insanly stupid with your comment.

Sources?

You know, the last time we had this argument, and the government almost shut down, it ended up costing Americans 2 billion dollars. The people of this nation were 2 billion dollars poorer because of the political grandstanding by the right, and the government didn't even shut down. How much money will the party of fiscal responsibility strip from the American people this time?

You have flummoxed the tea partiers with facts. The one thing that stands in the way of their weirdo memes.

Rachel Maddow On Gov't Shutdown: "Elect Republicans and They Will Burn the Place Down" - YouTube

Watched the video un like Faux News it not edited in anyway . There ya go dumbass!

Notice how quiet the conservatives got after you posted this. They're trying to come up with some new narrative to pretend that they didn't want to shut down the government. In fact, America now knows: the tea party are nihilists, bent on attacking the US economy.

Can't watch youtube at work, got a different source or a transcript?

Not my problem the fact is you asked for the source I gave it. What do you want from me to cook you dinner to??

Nothing to negotiate? :lamo

What part of the ACA passed BOTH houses of Congress...was signed into law....and was upheld by the United States Supreme Court after a Constitutional challenge do you not understand?

There is nothing to negotiate. The Teabaggers now want to hold a gun to the head of the American public and try to force renegotiations? Sorry, but America doesn't play that game.

Notice how quiet the conservatives got after you posted this. They're trying to come up with some new narrative to pretend that they didn't want to shut down the government. In fact, America now knows: the tea party are nihilists, bent on attacking the US economy.

Right, because we respond to every post immediately? I wasn't even back on the site before you posted this....

There is plenty to negotiate about, namely the individual mandate and the taxes.

I would love to do away with the Republican idea of the individual mandate and replace it with a public option or single payer...but that is something to work on down the road. It isn't something to hold the American public hostage over and try to force negotiations at gunpoint.

What part of the ACA passed BOTH houses of Congress...was signed into law....and was upheld by the United States Supreme Court after a Constitutional challenge do you not understand?

There is nothing to negotiate. The Teabaggers now want to hold a gun to the head of the American public and try to force renegotiations? Sorry, but America doesn't play that game.

The bolded part is irrelevant. The bill was passed through a Democrat House and Democrat Senate. Notice it was right after the Democrats were voted out of office. They pushed it through because they knew it wouldn't pass in a month and the American People did not want it.

The bolded part is irrelevant. The bill was passed through a Democrat House and Democrat Senate. Notice it was right after the Democrats were voted out of office. They pushed it through because they knew it wouldn't pass in a month and the American People did not want it.

maybe you need a timeline to understand how long it took to pass congress.

Timeline of the health care law - CNN.com

maybe you need a timeline to understand how long it took to pass congress.

Timeline of the health care law - CNN.com

Nope, I was referring to the House specifically, which if you understood context you would know, and from your own source:

November 7, 2009 -- The House of Representatives passes a version of the sweeping health care bill by a vote of 220-215.

Nope, I was referring to the House specifically, which if you understood context you would know, and from your own source:

November 7, 2009 -- The House of Representatives passes a version of the sweeping health care bill by a vote of 220-215.

but it took more then a year for this to happen

March 23, 2010 -- Obama signs the health care bill into law.

but it took more then a year for this to happen

March 23, 2010 -- Obama signs the health care bill into law.

My point is, it was not a bi-partisan bill, and who says bills cannot be repealed or changed? Happens all the time.

You can get that! Its readily available to you in Cuba.

We'll take the Obamacare version with a healthier population and lower healthcare costs, thanks.

You mean like the extremist that rammed a health care overhaul down the throats of the middle class so their over burdened system could be shared with those who don't pay for it? That extremism? I tend to believe you are way OK with extremism so long as you support it.

Extremism is bad m'kay...

You mean like the extremist that rammed a health care overhaul down the throats of the middle class so their over burdened system could be shared with those who don't pay for it? That extremism? I tend to believe you are way OK with extremism so long as you support it.

That "rammed it down our throats" line never ceases to amuse. It was "rammed down our throats" by compromising the original plan to more align with right wing ideas, including basically replacing it with Romney's program in Massachusetts, and then passed by the democratically elected majority in both chambers of congress, then signed by the democratically elected president, and then upheld by the constitutionally empowered supreme court when challenged through the lawful channels available to detractors. When polled, the majority of Americans support the provisions of the law. At this point, "rammed down our throats" means whatever you don't like.

Back
Top Bottom