• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Poll: 70 percent say US headed in wrong direction, highest since September 2017

Yeah, let's go back to the creaking economy of the Obama years. Be interesting to see what a Dem can do when he doesn't have a tidal wave of recovery pushing him along.

Tidal wave of recovery, trickle of stimulus for the trouble we were in.

Businesses don't boost hiring and capital investment because of "sugar highs".

Thing is the "downer" still has millions more employed, millions more looking for work, strong wage gains and strong gains in the stock market.
LOL, yeah, because they're so fiscally responsible and tight fisted spenders,
:roll:

Very nice rebuttal, it almost holds water.

No the investment and hiring were because of steady Obama growth and certainly a big chunk of hiring and investment is going to be this sugar high.

But is say rather than really constructive endeavor that is for the long term this heroine layer is very destructive.

Tight fisted for the Democrat and when Reprobate, oh have open credit card.

No, it is something I will not let them get away with if I am able and look, already I've given them Trump, too bad we didn't make it Hillary.

They deserve it.

Very nice rebuttal, it almost holds water.

No the investment and hiring were because of steady Obama growth and certainly a big chunk of hiring and investment is going to be this sugar high.
"Steady Obama growth"? He averages just a tad over 2% and was the first President since WW II to record NOT A SINGLE YEAR of 3% or higher. IN FACT, he and his administration repeatedly told us slow growth was "the new normal.
Exquisitot said:
But is say rather than really constructive endeavor that is for the long term this heroine layer is very destructive.

Tight fisted for the Democrat and when Reprobate, oh have open credit card.

No, it is something I will not let them get away with if I am able and look, already I've given them Trump, too bad we didn't make it Hillary.

They deserve it.
LOL I'd like to say this "holds water", but it doesn't.

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/427451-poll-70-percent-say-us-headed-in-wrong-direction

Seventy percent of respondents to a poll released Tuesday say the country is moving in the "wrong direction," the highest level since September 2017.

The AP-NORC survey, conducted during the record-long 35-day partial government shutdown, found that only 28 percent of respondents said the United States is on the right course.
==================================================
Let's just hope this trend continues as The Donald does his best to subvert the country at Putin's direction.

Invoking Putin's name does nothing to further your argument.

As far as the direction of the country goes poll.
Plenty of blame to go around.
The AP-NORC survey, conducted during the record-long 35-day partial government shutdown, found that only 28 percent of respondents said the United States is on the right course.

Have you taken a look at Pelosi's approval ratings in the 35-day partial government shutdown?
Spiraling down...

A new NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll shows that Speaker Nancy Pelosi — not President Donald Trump — plummeted most in popularity during the 35-day government shutdown.

The new poll shows the Speaker of the House experienced a 6-point drop in her approval rating. Only 28 percent of Americans rated Pelosi as favorable, while 47 percent rated her as unfavorable — a stunning 19 percent “upside down” unfavorable figure.

The Wall Street Journal reports that while voters in their poll did hold him responsible for the shutdown, Trump is down only 3 percent total since November, when the midterm elections were held. Hardly the roundhouse kick to the head that it could have been, given the bad mainstream press.

Trump’s overall 43-percent approval rating is, according to Gallup Poll, roughly on par with President Barack Obama’s 49 approval rating during the same week just two years into his presidency.

https://thehill.com/opinion/campaig...elosis-approval-rating-down-during-government

Happy to bring you some much needed factual information for the betterment of your thread.

"Steady Obama growth"? He averages just a tad over 2% and was the first President since WW II to record NOT A SINGLE YEAR of 3% or higher. IN FACT, he and his administration repeatedly told us slow growth was "the new normal.
LOL I'd like to say this "holds water", but it doesn't.

Sorry my friend, but we will have to agree to disagree.

Personally, I would much rather what Obama was growing than this mad rush to concentrate wealth and resources before we run out.

Personally, I would much rather what Obama was growing than this mad rush to concentrate wealth and resources before we run out.
Ok, that's your right. I don't see it as a "mad rush to concentrate wealth", which is my right. I enjoyed an on-topic discussion. Thanks.

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/427451-poll-70-percent-say-us-headed-in-wrong-direction

Seventy percent of respondents to a poll released Tuesday say the country is moving in the "wrong direction," the highest level since September 2017.

Let's just hope this trend continues as The Donald does his best to subvert the country at Putin's direction.

I think it's going in the wrong direction as well, but not for the reasons you think, so I guess that means your poll is kinda meaningless, eh?

While correct, the sad news is most couldn't point to the right direction. Welcome to America....

LOL, you do realize this decline closes follows the Dems taking control of the House, right? The public realized the economic strides we've made and the surging job market are in grave danger from the uber-left cackling of Pelosi, Schumer, Sanders, and AOC, among others. Likely much of the same reasoning went into the decline of the stock markets that begun shortly after the elections.

Nice spin.

:applaud

How can you say this?
Do you have investments, IRA(s)?

If so, one would have to be a masochist to wish Obama were back in office.

Sorry to be so blunt, but I can't imagine anyone thinking the economy was better under Obama than Trump.

But the people who had to send that $500 in as taxes WON'T be able to spend it in the market. It's been known for a long time that the government can't tax us into prosperity.

Interesting that you bring up taxes.

America's middle class was at its strongest, we're often told, in the 1950s. But the 1950s had a tax code that ran on a sliding scale where the rich paid a higher percentage on incomes.

https://www.tax-brackets.org/federaltaxtable/1955

It was a complex sliding scale, but higher taxes were paid on higher incomes. If we tried to reinstitute such a code today, well ... I can already hear the screaming from the right.

Interesting that you bring up taxes.

America's middle class was at its strongest, we're often told, in the 1950s. But the 1950s had a tax code that ran on a sliding scale where the rich paid a higher percentage on incomes.

https://www.tax-brackets.org/federaltaxtable/1955

It was a complex sliding scale, but higher taxes were paid on higher incomes. If we tried to reinstitute such a code today, well ... I can already hear the screaming from the right.
We also had blatant racism in the deep south, shall we reinstate that as well? Oh and only three television channels.

We also had blatant racism in the deep south, shall we reinstate that as well? Oh and only three television channels.

I'm not the one wanting to return to the 50s. I leave that to conservatives. I'm just pointing out that Eisenhower's tax code did force more money out of the rich, which greatly bolstered the middle/working class.

How can you say this?
Do you have investments, IRA(s)?

If so, one would have to be a masochist to wish Obama were back in office.

Sorry to be so blunt, but I can't imagine anyone thinking the economy was better under Obama than Trump.

I can't deny the sugar high and Obama had to drag the Republicans to produce this flower.

I just had a guy on the bus complaining about his Ira, so what are you talking about?

You must be invested in ****.

Economy? One cook can run the whole line on a Friday night.

Your economy is numbers in your bank that loans to people like me.

Obama over Trump? Are you kidding me?

I would not like to see sixteen years of Obama though, you know I'm easily swayed by social media.

And Trump Hate over Obama Hate, I'd have to go with the Obama twin.

I'm not the one wanting to return to the 50s. I leave that to conservatives. I'm just pointing out that Eisenhower's tax code did force more money out of the rich, which greatly bolstered the middle/working class.
I seriously doubt the tax code had much to do with the prosperity back then. Most studies show lower rates actually get more revenue from higher earners. What helped was most of the world was still recovering from WW II and our industries were the major producers of the goods, services and equipment to accomplish that.t

Recall that JFK's modest tax cuts touched off a bigger boom.

No matter how many ways you look at the fact remains we cannot tax ourselves to prosperity.

I can't remember when we had a poll which showed Americans think the US is headed in the right direction. Certainly didn't happen under Obama.

Back
Top Bottom