• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Poll: 70% of Americans support admitting the migrant caravan into the USA

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/19/politics/migrants-poll/index.html

Turns out that all the hostility against the caravan was just a product of a loud minority!
Wow, I'm a bit blown away by this. I assumed the majority of the country was against this type of stuff.

I'm also blown away that almost half the Republicans support the caravan. I find this a bit hard to believe, to be honest. I'd like to know how the poll was worded, exactly.

Anyway ...

[...] while Republicans are slightly more divided. Half of Republicans said the caravan should be turned back and 43% thought they should be given an opportunity to enter.

Wow, I'm a bit blown away by this. I assumed the majority of the country was against this type of stuff.

I'm also blown away that almost half the Republicans support the caravan. I find this a bit hard to believe, to be honest. I'd like to know how the poll was worded, exactly.

Anyway ...

The loudest voices usually get the most attention.

Turns out that all the hostility against the caravan was just a product of a loud minority!

That's 70% of 802 Americans contacted via a telephone poll.

The Monmouth University Poll was conducted by telephone from November 9 to 12, 2018 with 802 adults in the United States. The question results in this release have a margin of error of +/- 3.5 percentage points. The poll was conducted by the Monmouth University Polling Institute in West Long Branch, NJ.
https://www.monmouth.edu/polling-institute/reports/monmouthpoll_US_111918/

Also "most Americans" polled said this:

Most Americans (70%) say that these migrants should be given the opportunity to enter the country if they meet certain requirements such as showing they were persecuted in their home countries and not having a criminal record.
https://www.monmouth.edu/polling-institute/documents/monmouthpoll_us_111918.pdf/

Sooo...prove that you were REALLY "persecuted," i.e. not just someone seeking economic improvement. Also not having a criminal record. There are probably other considerations represented in "certain requirements."

I have no problem with real asylum seekers. But claiming to be one when you just don't like your home situation is not the same as say...Jews, gays, and political prisoners being herded into concentration camps for slave labor and extermination. Nor do I include being "persecuted" by criminal gangs like MS-13.

We also know that Mexico has offered to take them in as is. Something REAL "asylum seekers" would jump at the chance to do.

Last edited:
(Pretends CNN is a valid source)

Okay that's pretty damn hilarious! XD

From the article:
  • Half of Republicans said the caravan should be turned back and 43% thought they should be given an opportunity to enter.
  • A plurality (39%) said that the caravan poses no real threat to the US and 29% said it's a major threat.
  • Large majorities of Democrats and independents think the group should be given the opportunity to enter (89% and 72%, respectively).

The poll and its responses

That's 70% of 802 Americans contacted via a telephone poll.

https://www.monmouth.edu/polling-institute/reports/monmouthpoll_US_111918/

Also "most Americans" polled said this:

https://www.monmouth.edu/polling-institute/documents/monmouthpoll_us_111918.pdf/

Sooo...prove that you were REALLY "persecuted," i.e. not just someone seeking economic improvement. Also not having a criminal record. There are probably other considerations represented in "certain requirements."

I have no problem with real asylum seekers. But claiming to be one when you just don't like your home situation is not the same as say...Jews, gays, and political prisoners being herded into concentration camps for slave labor and extermination. Nor do I include being "persecuted" by criminal gangs like MS-13.

Monmouth University polls are very well respected.

Five Thirty Eight | Which Pollsters To Trust In 2018

The best of these pollsters over this period has been Monmouth University, which has an Advanced Plus-Minus score of -1.5. That’s not a huge surprise — Monmouth was already one of our highest-rated pollsters.

Monmouth University polls are very well respected.

Five Thirty Eight | Which Pollsters To Trust In 2018

Well respected does not mean correct or meaningful. One small poll is not sufficient to be a meaningful measure of national opinion. Furthermore, as other posters have pointed out, the headline is misleading in the extreme. I expect that quoted support would drop significantly if the "certain criteria" were to be dropped.

Well respected does not mean correct or meaningful. One small poll is not sufficient to be a meaningful measure of national opinion. Furthermore, as other posters have pointed out, the headline is misleading in the extreme. I expect that quoted support would drop significantly if the "certain criteria" were to be dropped.

What other meaningful measure of national opinion is there but a poll? And the headline is accurate enough:

Majority say migrants in caravan should be given the opportunity to enter the country

Essentially, a majority say that the United States should follow its own laws about asylum seekers. It ought to be 100%.

Misleading Headline.

The reality is contained in the report.

[COLOR="#00004"] but most Americans think migrants who reach the US border should be given the opportunity to enter the country if they meet certain requirements[/COLOR]​

This is standard in most democratic countries. President Obama deported thousands of migrants because they had criminal convictions. You just don't hear about it cos President Obama didn't tweet about how great he was every single minute of the day.

Allow them in, process them and if they are NOT genuine asylum seekers send them back. Its not rocket science. A LOT of countries do this. Just treat them as humans.

Anyway ...

I support admitting them through the asylum process however I do not support modifying the asylum system all that much.
We can't offer asylum to every single applicant, and applicants must be able to demonstrate that they can manage the move to a new country and pass the screening process.

And sadly, there are always quotas, there always have been. That's universal and always has been.
Those quotas can and have been adjusted, at least temporarily, from time to time when a very large humanitarian crisis rears its head.
That is something I can live with.

Trump doesn't need the soldier props on the border anymore. He received an ass-kicking in the midterms.

So now he's free to insult and denigrate Admiral (Ret.) William McRaven.
Yep. The midterm PR stunt is over. It failed.

What other meaningful measure of national opinion is there but a poll? And the headline is accurate enough:

Poll averages can be somewhat meaningful. One doesn't mean much at all. And I've already demonstrated why the headline is misleading in at least one respect.

Essentially, a majority say that the United States should follow its own laws about asylum seekers. It ought to be 100%.

Right, and there is no evidence that we are not following our asylum laws. So tell me exactly what about this poll deserves a headline, and such a misleading one?

According to the poll itself, the results are a mish-mash of opinion.

The striking part was the CNN headline. The poll itself reinforced the existing Government position.
The poll said "Most Americans (70%) say that these migrants should be given the opportunity to enter the country if they meet certain requirements such as showing they were persecuted in their home countries and not having a criminal record."
Well, that's the Government position.
But the headline could easily have been "A Majority Of Americans (53%) See The Migrant Caravan As A Threat".

Allow them in, process them and if they are NOT genuine asylum seekers send them back. Its not rocket science. A LOT of countries do this. Just treat them as humans.
No.
You failed to address the point that the headline was not accurate because of the caveat of "if they meet certain requirements".

I support admitting them through the asylum process however I do not support modifying the asylum system all that much.
We can't offer asylum to every single applicant, and applicants must be able to demonstrate that they can manage the move to a new country and pass the screening process.

And sadly, there are always quotas, there always have been. That's universal and always has been.
Those quotas can and have been adjusted, at least temporarily, from time to time when a very large humanitarian crisis rears its head.
That is something I can live with.
I agree very much.

But the problem here, is with "catch & release". Or perhaps in this case, "apply & release". We can't hold people indefinitely while their cases wind through the courts for many months or years. Nor should we accept the pathetically dismal rates of return for court hearings.

This - unfortunately - is our conundrum.

Back
Top Bottom