• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Poll: 49% of Americans blame pro-Palestinian activists for flotilla deaths

Apocalypse

DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Poll: 49% of Americans blame pro-Palestinian activists for flotilla deaths

Ramussen poll: Only 19% of Americans believe Israel is to blame for clash aboard Gaza-bound aid ship Mavi Marmara last week.

By Haaretz Service

Tags: Israel news Gaza flotilla

Nearly half - 49 percent - of likely U.S. voters believe that pro-Palestinian activists were to blame for the deaths that occurred when the Israel Defense Forces raided a Gaza-bound aid flotilla last week, according to a new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey.

Only 19 percent believe that Israel was to blame. Another 32 percent said they were not sure.

Nine pro-Palestinian activists were killed on May 31 when the IDF intercepted six Gaza-bound aid ships. All the deaths occurred on the Turkish-flagged Mavi Marmara vessel. The IDF said its soldiers opened fire in self-defense after being attacked by activists with knives and other weapons.

51 percent of those surveyed said Israel should allow an international investigation of the incident. 25 percent rejected the idea of an international probe and another 24 percent were undecided.

49 percent of U.S. voters agreed that, generally speaking, most countries are too critical of Israel. 21 percent said countries are not critical enough and 17 percent said neither.

Israel is one of only five countries that a majority of Americans are willing to defend militarily.

70 percent of voters said they have been following news reports about the Gaza flotilla incident at least somewhat closely. 28 percent have not been following closely, if at all.

73 percent of voters think it is unlikely that a lasting peace agreement will be reached between Israel and the Palestinians in the next ten years.

58 percent view Israel as a U.S. ally and two percent as an enemy, with 32 percent saying the country is somewhere in between the two.

By comparison, just 30 percent see the United Nations as an ally of the United States. 16 percent see the UN as America’s enemy, and 49% put it somewhere in between.

* Published 18:09 08.06.10 * Latest update 18:09 08.06.10

Poll: 49% of Americans blame pro-Palestinian activists for flotilla deaths - Haaretz Daily Newspaper | Israel News

The survey was based on interviews with 1,000 likely U.S. voters and had a +/-3 percent sampling error margin.

While it is disappointing that the figure is less than half, it's very comforting to know that the American people aren't buying this propaganda - with only 19% of the Americans blaming Israel for the blood.

I'd guess the figures in Europe to be the complete opposite, but I haven't heard of any similar poll.

Last edited:
Poll: 49% of Americans blame pro-Palestinian activists for flotilla deaths - Haaretz Daily Newspaper | Israel News

The survey was based on interviews with 1,000 likely U.S. voters and had a +/-3 percent sampling error margin.

While it is disappointing that the figure is less than half, it's very comforting to know that the American people aren't buying this propaganda - with only 19% of the Americans blaming Israel for the blood.

I'd guess the figures in Europe to be the complete opposite, but I haven't heard of any similar poll.

There is only one vote that counts and Obama is clearly in the other 51%. Unlike the meeting with the Israeli PM, there was a photo op with Abbas and the U.S. gave another $400 million.

Israel will have a very hard time trumping the President's ability to sway American public opinion for the next six years.

If I had relatives in Israel I would hope they would emigrate, not sure to where. But someplace they can live in peace.

There is only one vote that counts and Obama is clearly in the other 51%.
The other 51% are not all against Israel on this.
Only 19% blame Israel for the flotilla interception's violence.
The rest are unsure/undecided.
Unlike the meeting with the Israeli PM, there was a photo op with Abbas and the U.S. gave another $400 million.
I think Obama's intention, to get closer to the Palestinians at the expense of the Israeli-American relations, was quite clear from the beginning.

There is only one vote that counts and Obama is clearly in the other 51%. Unlike the meeting with the Israeli PM, there was a photo op with Abbas and the U.S. gave another $400 million.

Israel will have a very hard time trumping the President's ability to sway American public opinion for the next six years.

If I had relatives in Israel I would hope they would emigrate, not sure to where. But someplace they can live in peace.

Abbas yes, but Obama hates Hamas, so you may be wrong. I read last week that the US scuppered Egypts attempts at reconcilliation for Fatah and Hamas because it cannot stand Hamas so my guess would be Israel will be fine here.

We could find 5-10% of people who believe just about anything. I mean anything. So let's just ignore the bottom few percent. That still leaves almost 10% of USians that think Israel is to blame. Ok, how many Muslims do we have? Then add radical leftists... and there's your 10%.

Last edited:
I'm surprised it's only 49% frankly.

People are spineless, and don't underestimate antisemitism.

The other 51% are not all against Israel on this.
Only 19% blame Israel for the flotilla interception's violence.
The rest are unsure/undecided.
I think Obama's intention, to get closer to the Palestinians at the expense of the Israeli-American relations, was quite clear from the beginning.

So we can't be sure where Obama is as it relates to the 51%. Fair enough.

I disagree. During the election, he went to Israel, posed for TV and showed support for Israel from the rocket attacks. Perhaps voters should have seen through this and maybe most Americans, especially the left don't really care.

Regardless, he is President now. If you think Israel will be able to mantain support from the U.S. with 6 more years of Presidential power used against them you are deluding yourself.

We could find 5-10% of people who believe just about anything. I mean anything. So let's just ignore the bottom few percent. That still leaves almost 10% of USians that think Israel is to blame. Ok, how many Muslims do we have? Then add radical leftists... and there's your 10%.

Is Obama in that 10%??

Obama is not 'against' Israel. He's just not as fervent a supporter. It's not like he would sign anything in the UN to hurt Israel, or sign an arms deal with Gaza. He's just not going to cheerlead for them.

I agree that some settlements are illegal and Israel should honor the contract of its creation that no land shall ever be annexed. The Heights seem more valuable (given conflict), anyway.

Last edited:
People are spineless, and don't underestimate antisemitism.

Interesting you say that. The Rev. Al Sharpton is now called an advisor to Obama. Years ago in N.Y. he led a protest against Jewish shopkeepers in a black neighborhood. Calling them interlopers. A while later, the store was firebombed and the owners killed.

Obama is not 'against' Israel. He's just not as fervent a supporter. It's not like he would sign anything in the UN to hurt Israel, or sign an arms deal with Gaza. He's just not going to cheerlead for them.

I agree that some settlements are illegal and Israel should honor the contract of its creation that no land shall ever be annexed. The Heights seem more valuable (given conflict), anyway.

I am not sure that the settlements are illegal, but I wish Israel would never have built them.

I think you are factually wrong about Obama. He signed onto the NPT agreement that threw Israel under the bus for the first time ever. He signed into an "international review" of the flotilla incident which all know will not be impartial. That is the beauty of Obama, he is a smooth politician. What you say about him in my view is exactly what he wants people to believe while he continues to isolate Israel.

Washunut they are Illegal, since they are in Occupied Territories.

Britain: Israeli settlements are 'illegal' and 'obstacle' to peace - Haaretz Daily Newspaper | Israel News

“The Occupying Power shall not deport or transfer parts of its own civilian population into the territory it occupies.”
It against the law by the fourth Geneva convention of 1949

-Section 3 Article 49 of the Fourth Geneva Convention of 1949

International Humanitarian Law - Fourth 1949 Geneva Convention

Last edited:
I think you are factually wrong about Obama. He signed onto the NPT agreement that threw Israel under the bus for the first time ever. He signed into an "international review" of the flotilla incident which all know will not be impartial. That is the beauty of Obama, he is a smooth politician. What you say about him in my view is exactly what he wants people to believe while he continues to isolate Israel.

While what you present has a grain of truth, I do not believe it constitutes being 'against' or 'anti' Israel, nor is it an attempt to isolate them. I believe it is playing the political middle-ground and a safe distance from possible harm to Israel. I'm not familiar with the NPT's impact on Israel specifically or directly, so I cannot speak to that (feel free to explain). Regarding the investigation, it is reasonable to request such even if we know such will not be delivered; we can also see it as a gauge for UN bias and thus useful. To presume that Obama has signed on to a propaganda device of Hamas as a willing and eager participant is a bit much, for me.

Further, to presume that Obama's intention is to harm Israel we need to presume it would be in his best interest (or what he believes is the best interest of the US). I do not see how it is in either his or the country's best interest to isolate Israel except perhaps to distance ourselves from an upcoming strike on Iran. Surely it is in neither his nor the country's best interest to see Israel fall; thus, I find your assessment of his motivations lacking.

Last edited:
Interesting you say that. The Rev. Al Sharpton is now called an advisor to Obama. Years ago in N.Y. he led a protest against Jewish shopkeepers in a black neighborhood. Calling them interlopers. A while later, the store was firebombed and the owners killed.

i didn't know that. i think i might bring that up the next time someone gets' the vapours about the 'effects' of the 'right wing rhetoric'

While what you present has a grain of truth, I do not believe it constitutes being 'against' or 'anti' Israel, nor is it an attempt to isolate them. I believe it is playing the political middle-ground and a safe distance from possible harm to Israel. I'm not familiar with the NPT's impact on Israel specifically or directly, so I cannot speak to that (feel free to explain). Regarding the investigation, it is reasonable to request such even if we know such will not be delivered; we can also see it as a gauge for UN bias and thus useful. To presume that Obama has signed on to a propaganda device of Hamas as a willing and eager participant is a bit much, for me.

Further, to presume that Obama's intention is to harm Israel we need to presume it would be in his best interest (or what he believes is the best interest of the US). I do not see how it is in either his or the country's best interest to isolate Israel except perhaps to distance ourselves from an upcoming strike on Iran. Surely it is in neither his nor the country's best interest to see Israel fall; thus, I find your assessment of his motivations lacking.

I do not believe for one moment that Obama or any EU countries have any wish to harm Israel. I thnik we can be sure on that. You seem to have judged it pretty well. I had a look at what the Guardian has to say about it

The announcement came as Obama met the Palestinian president, Mahmoud Abbas, in Washington to discuss the progress of proximity talks between Israel and the Palestinians, as well as the dire situation in Gaza. Most US aid currently goes to the West Bank. The international community has largely focused on building up Abbas's authority over recent years, and Gaza, whose de facto Hamas government is not recognised by the US or the UK, has been marginalised.

But since Israel launched its disastrous assault on a flotilla of ships attempting to carry aid to Gaza, the humanitarian crisis in the tiny enclave has seized attention.

Obama described the situation in Gaza as "unsustainable", saying a better approach was needed and calling for a "new conceptual framework" for Israel's blockade. A White House statement said the new funds "represent a down payment on the United States' commitment to Palestinians in Gaza, who deserve a better life and expanded opportunities, and the chance to take part in building a viable, independent state of Palestine, together with those who live in the West Bank".

The money will go towards infrastructure projects in both Gaza and the West Bank, including $10m for the construction of new UN schools. It did not explain how the schools will be built while Israel maintains its embargo on construction materials entering Gaza, claiming they could be diverted to make weapons and build underground bunkers.

Barack Obama announces $400m aid package to Gaza | World news | The Guardian

"Israel is one of only five countries that a majority of Americans are willing to defend militarily."

Willing to have others defend militarily while they sit at home, rather.

Pn the NPT, it has been Israel's position to be ambiguous about if they have nuclear weapons. A position supported by the U.S. for many years. At the recent conference Obama had the U.S. sign onto investigating Israel on this point. I think people forget, because we thing only about Israel and the Palestianians, but Israel ( population about 8 million) is surrounded by at nations still officially at war with them and countries like Iran with populations in excess of 100 million.

Remember he had his senior officer's report which said that Israel hurts our efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan made public. He had made a huge outreach program to Arab nations, which is fine if he he was also showing support for Israel.

I respect your gripe, but I believe we are and will remain Israel's strongest ally. While I believe we are obligated to not groundlessly harm Israel, if Israel does something to harm itself we are under no obligation to conspire or hide anything. Does it really hurt Israel to declare their nukes? Perhaps not. And perhaps we have no business hiding nukes.

Israel, we got your back. Don't think otherwise, no matter who is in office. Because we defend democracies.

Last edited:
I respect your gripe, but I believe we are and will remain Israel's strongest ally. While I believe we are obligated to not groundlessly harm Israel, if Israel does something to harm itself we are under no obligation to conspire or hide anything. Does it really hurt Israel to declare their nukes? Perhaps not. And perhaps we have no business hiding nukes.

Israel, we got your back. Don't think otherwise, no matter who is in office. Because we defend democracies.

I do not know why they feel it is important not to show their nukes. For all I know they are like Saddam, really have no nukes but are afraid to say that for fear of being overrun.

As far as looking into what happened, I would have no problem if the President picked a blue ribbon team of Americans and let them start from when that boat was in Turkey. Let the facts be known, if Israel erred or overreacted, then no reason to hide it.

Let's keep it is erspective. An American drone may hit the wrong house and kill 30 Pakistanians. It isn't because we are evil it is because **** happens.

I'm European and I guess I am undecided. On one side, you'd think that well-trained soldiers armed with firearms should be able to disarm people with sticks without killing them, but on the other side, it's hard to tell what exactly happened (and which side to believe) when you weren't there.

But I think the question is a sad reflection of the situation in general. I think both Israel and the Palestinians would be better off if people stopped playing this blame game. Does it really matter who is to blame this time? There is a fair share of blame in the past on Israel for not using opportunities, or maybe overreacting, and there is maybe even more blame on the Palestinians for constant stubbornness, ongoing support for terrorism and so on.

That makes me think if people used only a fraction of the energy they use for attaching blame on either side for finding ways how to leave the past behind and focus on the future instead, how peace is possible regardless of who started it and is to blame, that would help matters quite a lot already.

I don't think peace is not possible. I understand Israelis are frustrated and are maybe resignating, after all they've tried, but still I don't think there is an alternative to peace. Force will obviously not solve the conflict. And I don't know ... my country, Germany, was responsible for horrible crimes against our neighbor peoples, we used to be "arch enemies" of the French for more than a century, and 10 million Germans were expelled from their homes after WW2. Yet today, we are very close partners and friends with our former enemies, and there are virtually no calls for getting the reassigned lands back. When even Germany, with such a history of hatred, war, crime, ethnic cleansing and so on can make it, can become true friends of its former enemies -- then I am convinced Palestinians and Israelis can make it too. At least I really hope that's true, and I want to send all my best wishes to your peoples and encourage you not to lose the belief that peace is possible after all.

I do not know why they feel it is important not to show their nukes. For all I know they are like Saddam, really have no nukes but are afraid to say that for fear of being overrun.

As far as looking into what happened, I would have no problem if the President picked a blue ribbon team of Americans and let them start from when that boat was in Turkey. Let the facts be known, if Israel erred or overreacted, then no reason to hide it.

Let's keep it is erspective. An American drone may hit the wrong house and kill 30 Pakistanians. It isn't because we are evil it is because **** happens.

If Israel does not have nukes, that is the problem. If it does, why should they hide it to our political detriment? Do we owe them that, or something? If they don't have nukes, we should sign an ironclad defensive pact.

I also wish it was USians leading the investigation, but I'd want other countries involved as well. I'm sure any investigation will absolve Israel and show surprising restraint and courage exibited by their finest. I'm fully aware of what a squad intent to randomly slaughter could have accomplished; nonetheless, to not call for the investigation, or to stand silent while others want such is bad politics. Any bias in the report will be apparent to the honest eye. Dishonest people will ignore the report, even if Israel is exonerated, just as they do the video and, well, the whole damn circumstance/event is pretty obvious to anyone with a critical mind anyway.

Perspective? I'm a hawk. I hate collateral damage or accidental damage but I understand the greater good and the costs of achieving it. Please strike Iran asap.

ps. There's no way a drone could hit a building and accidentally kill 30 Pakistanians. I'll let you figure out why.

Last edited:
If Israel does not have nukes, that is the problem. If it does, why should they hide it to our political detriment? Do we owe them that, or something? If they don't have nukes, we should sign an ironclad defensive pact.

Agree

I also wish it was USians leading the investigation, but I'd want other countries involved as well. I'm sure any investigation will absolve Israel and show surprising restraint and courage exibited by their finest. I'm fully aware of what a squad intent to randomly slaughter could have accomplished; nonetheless, to not call for the investigation, or to stand silent while others want such is bad politics. Any bias in the report will be apparent to the honest eye. Dishonest people will ignore the report, even if Israel is exonerated, just as they do the video and, well, the whole damn circumstance/event is pretty obvious to anyone with a critical mind anyway.

Perhaps adding some European nations makes sense.

Perspective? I'm a hawk. I hate collateral damage or accidental damage but I understand the greater good and the costs of achieving it. Please strike Iran asap.

ps. There's no way a drone could hit a building and accidentally kill 30 Pakistanians. I'll let you figure out why.

Please see responses above

Wonder what the majority remaining 51% think?

Back
Top Bottom