• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Poll: 26% Of U.S. Clueless On Who We Declared Independence From

Younger and from the South were the worst, according to the poll.

The worst thing about our lack of knowledge of basic American history? How quick we are as a nation to have opinions about things we don't know anything about.

Ugh, we desperately need education reform in this country.

Ugh, we desperately need education reform in this country.

I agree. And this is sad that people don't know basic American history. A lot of it has to do with the culture of America's youth today, many simply just don't care to learn or about education. It's a mix of our failing education system and the culture of today's youth that is hurting us.

I agree. And this is sad that people don't know basic American history. A lot of it has to do with the culture of America's youth today, many simply just don't care to learn or about education. It's a mix of our failing education system and the culture of today's youth that is hurting us.

I think it has more to do with education, than society today. Raising the horribly low standards would be a start, I took the Georgia High School graduation test in 2008, and during the whole week of testing I finished every test in about 15-20 minutes, tests mind you, which we were alloted 2 hours to finish. And all my grades were pass plus, and honors. My friends all had a similar experience, it's just pathetic.

I'm not positive it's any worse now than it has ever been. I would be interested in seeing some numbers.

It totally blows my mind that only 26% of the people polled know we declared our independence of foreign oil. Morons.

It totally blows my mind that only 26% of the people polled know we declared our independence of foreign oil. Morons.

No, 84% know who we declared independence from, and 26% don't.

Maybe the 26% were mostly illegal immigrants. :mrgreen:

No, 84% know who we declared independence from, and 26% don't.

Your Star... you just said 84% and 26%. Add those two numbers up. Not attacking you, and it was obviously an error, but it is kind of funny on a thread like this.

I learned the American Revolution at 4 different times in school. I don't know if that's the case in non-Pennsylvania schools, but there is no excuse for not knowing this, poor education or not, if you are an American over the age of 10.

Maybe the 26% were mostly illegal immigrants. :mrgreen:

I doubt that it was the illegal immigrants... Are you trying to say the American Public has more of a brain than for example: Sara Palin a Vice President Candidate????
This 26% are surely the Sara Palin supporters and the majority of the Tea-Baggers !!!

Your Star... you just said 84% and 26%. Add those two numbers up. Not attacking you, and it was obviously an error, but it is kind of funny on a thread like this.

Ahh frick! Math can kiss my ass!

C'mon CC. Cut her some slack. You know that most people here can't do basic math. Hell, I work in accounting and I pretty gave up here on people being able to do elementry mathematics. I even give Mr. V full passes on bad math. Not going to happen. We're better off trying to get them to use google to fact check before posting. And don't even start on trying to get people to first read what they write before posting to see if it's relevant to what they are responding too. That is clearly too damn hard.

You say 26% And the younger the person are likely to be, the more the chances he or she would not know the right response.... Now I wondering , how young would that be????
Well, I'll make a wild guess, about 3 or 4 YEARS OLD OR LESS ???? HONESTLY !!!

Younger and from the South were the worst, according to the poll.

So what's the problem with letting Texan Conservatives further monkey around with US history textbooks? It's already in the toliet. How much worse can it get?

The South and Young show the worst. So letting a place in the south full of young people get even worse US history education is hardly something to be worried about.

Still, I think a better question is do those people polled know how to find the information? Any moron can memorize dates. But being able to research and put facts together into meaning is what education is really about.

C'mon CC. Cut her some slack. You know that most people here can't do basic math. Hell, I work in accounting and I pretty gave up here on people being able to do elementry mathematics. I even give Mr. V full passes on bad math. Not going to happen. We're better off trying to get them to use google to fact check before posting. And don't even start on trying to get people to first read what they write before posting to see if it's relevant to what they are responding too. That is clearly too damn hard.

I was just messing with her. Just thought it was funny in this thread and all. And I agree with the whole "simple math" thing. Most people get scared by it. I do all math stuff by hand or in my head. I have no use or need for calculators.

I was just messing with her. Just thought it was funny in this thread and all. And I agree with the whole "simple math" thing. Most people get scared by it. I do all math stuff by hand or in my head. I have no use or need for calculators.

I wish I could do that. You should see the size of some of my excel files at work. I didn't know you could get an excel file that large.

I wish I could do that. You should see the size of some of my excel files at work. I didn't know you could get an excel file that large.

I started off as a math major in college. I've always been able to do simple and somewhat more complicated math in my head, or at least on paper.

I started off as a math major in college. I've always been able to do simple and somewhat more complicated math in my head, or at least on paper.

Yeah, math was always my weakest subject, lets just say the calculator was my best friend.

Yeah, math was always my weakest subject, lets just say the calculator was my best friend.

I used to tutor in every kind of Math from basic, through Geometry, Algebra, and Statistics right up to Calculus. I HATED having to carry a calculator and I always like to know how things work, so I just taught myself how to do everything by hand or in my head. Most people are afraid of math because they are too reliant on calculators. Just understanding the steps makes it pretty easy.

Back
Top Bottom