• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Politics and Language.

Torus34

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
[Caution: wonkish.]

Our American version of our language, English, has for years been of two distinct varieties. There is the written language, precise and driven by the rules of grammar. Than there's like, you know, the spoken stuff, er, what we say to each other, right? And now, with the advent of the thumb-operated cell phone, we've a third off-shoot; texting. It's remarkably rich in acronyms, imho. Some of them make the transition and become words.

The change in language with time has, until recently, proceeded at a stately pace. In some countries, notably France, the pace has been slower than in others. Here in the United States of America, I believe the pace has significantly speeded up, driven by two primary forces: the internet and the polarization of politics. Political palaver, as the 'red' and 'blue' factions have moved to more and more extreme positions, has generated a number of neologisms, often vituperative in nature. The game of 'one-upmanship' played by these factions continues to generate new buzz words and phrases. The 'net, along with the media writ large, has provided the means of quickly spreading knowledge and use of these new expressions.

I've but a glimpse of where this is heading. It's certainly a fascinating thing to observe from my old rocking chair.

Regards, stay safe 'n well . . . 'n literate.

We cn rite lak we talk too, ya jest gotta think about how sounds.

Back
Top Bottom