• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Politico: only 38% say Obama deserves Reelection

cpwill

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
and 44% say they will specifically vote to get rid of him, while another 13 are looking to vote for someone else.

these numbers continue the confirmation of my oft-repeated prediction: in 2012, the Republican candidate can be more conservative and more assertive than the mealy-mouthed-gotta-be-consensus types always preach at us (and somehow forgot in 2008) and still win. he (or she and you know who i'm talking about) will only have to convince the American people of two things:

1. they are moderately sane
2. they are not Barack Obama

Only 38 percent of respondents said Obama deserves to be reelected, even though a majority of voters hold a favorable view of him on a personal level. Forty-four percent said they will vote to oust him, and 13 percent said they will consider voting for someone else...

By a 13-point margin, voters are down on the health care law. In an especially troubling sign, more than half of self-identified independents — 54 percent — have an unfavorable opinion of the law, compared with just 38 percent who have a favorable opinion. And by an 11-point margin, voters trust congressional Republicans to create jobs more than Obama...

The tea party movement, which has emerged as the biggest threat to Democrats’ dominance of Washington, is viewed favorably by 43 percent of respondents, compared with 35 percent who view it unfavorably....

cpwill notes: both major parties have a higher than 50% negativity rating

2012 is going to be a battle of "No, THEY suck more!" (sigh)

If the GOP can find themselves a decent, moderate/lean conservative candidate they've got a pretty good shot, but if they go with Christine O'Donnell or Sharron Angle style candidates they're going to get creamed.

Me, I'm in the 62%. I didn't vote for Bush II, I'm not going to vote to re-elect a candidate who is basically Bush III.

2012 is going to be a battle of "No, THEY suck more!" (sigh)

If the GOP can find themselves a decent, moderate/lean conservative candidate they've got a pretty good shot, but if they go with Christine O'Donnell or Sharron Angle style candidates they're going to get creamed.

Me, I'm in the 62%. I didn't vote for Bush II, I'm not going to vote to re-elect a candidate who is basically Bush III.

Bush II was that moderate/lean conservative you claim to look for. if republicans want to win in 2012 they need someone authentically conservative enough to rally all that tea party energy; we are talking a very real potential for a Sarah Palin victory.

Last edited:
Bush II was that moderate/lean conservative you claim to look for. if republicans want to win in 2012 they need someone authentically conservative enough to rally all that tea party energy; we are talking a very real potential for a Sarah Palin victory.

I think the tea party is too extreme, for the most part, that would start to drive the moderate voters back to Team Blue. There's a lot more moderates than there are extremists. (too bad the moderates have such crappy turnouts)

I think the tea party is too extreme, for the most part, that would start to drive the moderate voters back to Team Blue. There's a lot more moderates than there are extremists. (too bad the moderates have such crappy turnouts)

A) if the Tea Party is extreme, then so are the American People.
B) what we are constantly told is the "moderate consensus" is insanity; and dooms us to national suicide. that's what people are beginning to wake up to.
C. the point remains; the energy and growth is in the tea party movement now. a victorious repulican candidate in 2012 must be seen by them as 'one of them', or s/he will not exist.

what we are constantly told is the "moderate consensus" is insanity; and dooms us to national suicide. that's what people are beginning to wake up to.

I agree completely. If the things going on in Washington right now are considered moderate, then I sure as hell am an extremist.

The Tea Party has yet to show they can actually win elections. Pandering the base may win primaries, but isn't the necessarily the path to victory in the general election. I think that the Republican nominee will be chosen in part based on how successful the Tea Party candidates are this November. A fired up base may lead to a higher turnout, but it comes up the cost of alienating otherwise friendly voters. It remains to see exactly how the equation will play out.

I love American politics, every election that changes the dominant party gets one side so excited, until the president loses favour, then the other party gets excited, and on and on it goes, with neither party really caring as much as they should, 'cause they'll get re-elected eventually.

and 44% say they will specifically vote to get rid of him, while another 13 are looking to vote for someone else.

these numbers continue the confirmation of my oft-repeated prediction: in 2012, the Republican candidate can be more conservative and more assertive than the mealy-mouthed-gotta-be-consensus types always preach at us (and somehow forgot in 2008) and still win. he (or she and you know who i'm talking about) will only have to convince the American people of two things:

1. they are moderately sane
2. they are not Barack Obama

Only 38 percent of respondents said Obama deserves to be reelected, even though a majority of voters hold a favorable view of him on a personal level. Forty-four percent said they will vote to oust him, and 13 percent said they will consider voting for someone else...

By a 13-point margin, voters are down on the health care law. In an especially troubling sign, more than half of self-identified independents — 54 percent — have an unfavorable opinion of the law, compared with just 38 percent who have a favorable opinion. And by an 11-point margin, voters trust congressional Republicans to create jobs more than Obama...

The tea party movement, which has emerged as the biggest threat to Democrats’ dominance of Washington, is viewed favorably by 43 percent of respondents, compared with 35 percent who view it unfavorably....

cpwill notes: both major parties have a higher than 50% negativity rating

Is it 2012 already? I must have overslept. :doh

I am guessing I will end up voting for him. His presidency has not accomplished much, but he will probably end up being the closest person to my beliefs.

I love American politics, every election that changes the dominant party gets one side so excited, until the president loses favour, then the other party gets excited, and on and on it goes, with neither party really caring as much as they should, 'cause they'll get re-elected eventually.

I have always enjoyed the inevitable prediction that a change in parties represents some new thing sweeping that country that will last a generation or more.

Last edited:
a lot can change by 2012. If the economy shows improvement by then, the GOP will have a hard time knocking Obama off. Also, don't under estimate Obama. Like him or not, he runs a very strong campaign. Remember how he took on the GOP camp by himself and basically handed them their own ass. Imagine what he will do to some one like Palin on a presidential debate platform where she will not be able to wink her way out of.

a lot can change by 2012. If the economy shows improvement by then, the GOP will have a hard time knocking Obama off. Also, don't under estimate Obama. Like him or not, he runs a very strong campaign. Remember how he took on the GOP camp by himself and basically handed them their own ass. Imagine what he will do to some one like Palin on a presidential debate platform where she will not be able to wink her way out of.

Yeah, but it will be very hard for him to defend himself if the economy stays the way it is. In the last election he got by throuh his ability to inspire people. I couldn't believe all the things he got away with. It won't be the same this time. Also, I don't think he is great at debating and I don't think Palin will get the nomination. Repubs know she won't get moderate or independent votes. I expect Romney to be the front runner. Don't care for him much, but he is polished and has experience.

I think that it is very likely that being elected President of the United States is going to be like becoming head coach of Notre Dame football. The expectations are totally unrealistic, a huge percentage of the people are hoping you fail and you really don't have the ability to succeed. I will vote for President Obama again, as an Independent I think he is doing a pretty good job considering what he has to work with. I also disagree with those who suggest that 2012 will provide an opportunity for a more conservative person to get elected. I think the Republican party will become more marginalized by moving to the right since logic is the gravity that essentially pulls radical ideas back to the middle.

what? obama had every advantage possible in the 2008 presidential campaign;from a lavishly favorable press to an extremely unpopular Republican administration. even then he ran as a moderate; a mask he won't be able to pull off again.

Back
Top Bottom