• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Politico: House GOP takes another cut at food stamp bill

Many people wouldn't beg; they'd turn to crime. If those who want to eliminate social safety nets ever get their way, the haves living in gated communities are in for a rude awakening.

if the social safety nets were cut back to a reasonable level it wouldn't require a corresponding reduction in jails or prisons. They could stay open for business. With all the money being saved we could even build a few more if need be.

if the social safety nets were cut back to a reasonable level it wouldn't require a corresponding reduction in jails or prisons. They could stay open for business. With all the money being saved we could even build a few more if need be.

we don't need to build more prisons. we need to pare down idiotic laws, and we also need more legitimate opportunities for people to work their way up the ladder.

we don't need to build more prisons. we need to pare down idiotic laws, and we also need more legitimate opportunities for people to work their way up the ladder.

How about if we made a real effort to become energy independent and kept all those resources (e.g. money) in this country as a start?

How about if we made a real effort to become energy independent and kept all those resources (e.g. money) in this country as a start?

i agree completely. however, i don't feel that it's going to be oil long term, and i also don't believe that the market can develop the solution in time on its own. i support public / private partnerships to address this issue.

i agree completely. however, i don't feel that it's going to be oil long term, and i also don't believe that the market can develop the solution in time on its own. i support public / private partnerships to address this issue.

We now have the technology to become energy independent be it oil, NG, coal, or a combination thereof that could fund future research into new technologies. The problem remains that we continue send economic assets overseas while not taking advantage of these resources...

We now have the technology to become energy independent be it oil, NG, coal, or a combination thereof that could fund future research into new technologies. The problem remains that we continue send economic assets overseas while not taking advantage of these resources...

i'd prefer a massive expansion of our electrical grid, utilizing nuclear and renewables. i'm also interested in thorium technology; i've yet to see it definitively debunked, and it looks like it might have potential.

NG seems a Pickens pipe dream. i live in a former gas boom town. i have many stories about it. cliff notes : hundreds of years of predicted supply ran out in ten. also, even if we were the SA of NG, we'd export it, and the price would skyrocket.

i'd prefer a massive expansion of our electrical grid, utilizing nuclear and renewables. i'm also interested in thorium technology; i've yet to see it definitively debunked, and it looks like it might have potential.

NG seems a Pickens pipe dream. i live in a former gas boom town. i have many stories about it. cliff notes : hundreds of years of predicted supply ran out in ten. also, even if we were the SA of NG, we'd export it, and the price would skyrocket.

I would also like to see nuclear power expanded, but the regulatory environment is a bit restrictive. Renewable technologies are not yet proven to be viable in all areas of the country. I would agree that we need to upgrade the country's power grid, and we already have already laws relating to strategic natural resources that could keep current energy resources within our borders...

Out for the evening, but I'll look forward to reading your response(s)...

I would also like to see nuclear power expanded, but the regulatory environment is a bit restrictive. Renewable technologies are not yet proven to be viable in all areas of the country. I would agree that we need to upgrade the country's power grid, and we already have already laws relating to strategic natural resources that could keep current energy resources within our borders...

Out for the evening, but I'll look forward to reading your response(s)...

we're at the point now where i think the public angle of the public private partnership is needed to curb excessive NIMBY. if they built a thorium reactor near my town, i wouldn't fight it. a wind farm was just built right outside of town, and it makes me happy. i ride the motorcycle out to see it, and i often see the wind farm employees around town. the bar was filled with them at my first acoustic show this past fall. i'm just glad to see people working, and working for something that is actually beneficial.

the wind farm was only built because of the tax credits. honestly, i don't care. i support it. my region has suffered from deindustrialization enough.

During hard times, churches and charity organizations don't have a lot of money to spend on charity either.

'Ya know, since you brought up churches, I must say that many who claim that America is a Christian nation are the same people who oppress the poor. But what does the Bible have to say about this? Plenty:

Prov. 14:31 Anyone who oppresses the poor is insulting God who made them. To help the poor is to honor God.

Prov28:27 If you give to the poor, your needs will be supplied! But a curse upon those who close their eyes to poverty.

Prov22:9 Happy is the generous man, the one who feeds the poor.

Luke 6:20-21 Then he looked up at his disciples and said: 'Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God.

1 John 3:17-18 If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.

Psalm 12:5 "Because of the oppression of the weak and the groaning of the needy, I will now arise," says the LORD. "Then I will protect them from those who malign them."

Proverbs 14:31 He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God.

Proverbs 22:22-23 Do not exploit the poor because they are poor and do not crush the needy in court, for the LORD will take up their case and will plunder those who plunder them.

Proverbs 28:27 He who gives to the poor will lack nothing, but he who closes his eyes to them receives many curses.

Proverbs 31:8-9 "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy."

Ezekiel 16:49 "Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy."

These are just a few quotes from the Bible. There are a total of 131 quotes where the needs of the poor are addressed, in both the Old and New Testament. But my favorite quote is actually not from the Bible. It is from Stephen Colbert, who hits the nail squarely on the head:

“If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it.”

To those who have no wish to help the poor, but who do not claim America to be a Christian nation - I have no problem with you. You are being honest. My beef is with those hypocrites who wear Christianity on their sleeves, but have no clue to what Christianity entails, while preaching that the poor deserve what they get. Those are the ones referred to by Jesus Christ when he talks about a very special place in hell reserved just for the hypocrites.

'Ya know, since you brought up churches, I must say that many who claim that America is a Christian nation are the same people who oppress the poor. But what does the Bible have to say about this? Plenty:

Prov. 14:31 Anyone who oppresses the poor is insulting God who made them. To help the poor is to honor God.

Prov28:27 If you give to the poor, your needs will be supplied! But a curse upon those who close their eyes to poverty.

Prov22:9 Happy is the generous man, the one who feeds the poor.

Luke 6:20-21 Then he looked up at his disciples and said: 'Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God.

1 John 3:17-18 If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.

Psalm 12:5 "Because of the oppression of the weak and the groaning of the needy, I will now arise," says the LORD. "Then I will protect them from those who malign them."

Proverbs 14:31 He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God.

Proverbs 22:22-23 Do not exploit the poor because they are poor and do not crush the needy in court, for the LORD will take up their case and will plunder those who plunder them.

Proverbs 28:27 He who gives to the poor will lack nothing, but he who closes his eyes to them receives many curses.

Proverbs 31:8-9 "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy."

Ezekiel 16:49 "Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy."

These are just a few quotes from the Bible. There are a total of 131 quotes where the needs of the poor are addressed, in both the Old and New Testament. But my favorite quote is actually not from the Bible. It is from Stephen Colbert, who hits the nail squarely on the head:

“If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it.”

To those who have no wish to help the poor, but who do not claim America to be a Christian nation - I have no problem with you. You are being honest. My beef is with those hypocrites who wear Christianity on their sleeves, but have no clue to what Christianity entails, while preaching that the poor deserve what they get. Those are the ones referred to by Jesus Christ when he talks about a very special place in hell reserved just for the hypocrites.
I agree. But then I'm not a Christian and I think a civilized society should help the poor and I give to charities when I can afford it because I can deduct it off my taxes. So what does that make me?

You are the one that said crime would be going up. Or do you mean stealing, robbery or whatever it is you were referring to are idiotic laws?

I agree. But then I'm not a Christian and I think a civilized society should help the poor and I give to charities when I can afford it because I can deduct it off my taxes. So what does that make me?

Makes you honest. You don't use Christianity as an excuse to cherry pick the Bible and change it to what you would like it to be.

You are the one that said crime would be going up. Or do you mean stealing, robbery or whatever it is you were referring to are idiotic laws?

I think the idiotic laws are the Federal minimum mandatory sentences for simple drug possession, and I am glad that Holder has announced that he is going to try and end this moronic practice. This will free up our prisons for those who steal, commit robberies, etc, etc.

Back
Top Bottom