• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Politico: Gop's obamacare quandary

Unitedwestand13

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
GOP's Obamacare quandary - POLITICO.com Print View

Senate Republicans still haven’t figured out how to defund Obamacare and keep funding the government.

Competing factions of the party are arguing over just how aggressive they should be in seeking to dismantle the health care law.

On one side, about one-third of the 46-member Republican Conference has signed on to a strategy to oppose any spending bill that contains Obamacare funding — a tally that has sputtered of late and remains stuck at 14.

On the other, a large chunk of Senate Republicans has turned its back on that strategy, arguing it could once again paint the GOP as the “government shutdown party” as the country careens toward a Sept. 30 deadline to keep the government funded.

The Senate’s discord is spilling over to the House, where Republican leaders thought they could satisfy both camps by forcing the Senate to take two separate votes: one on a continuing resolution that would keep the government running into December and another on defunding Obamacare.

But opposition to that plan fueled by Sens. Ted Cruz of Texas and Mike Lee of Utah caused a rebellion among House conservatives, delaying a vote on the House measure.

“They’re screwing us,” fumed a House GOP aide who had hoped that giving Senate Republicans yet another opportunity to unanimously oppose Obamacare would be enough to satisfy two of the most prominent Senate conservatives.

now i don't understand the game plan here of conservatives like Ted Cruz and Mike Lee. No democrat would support a bill that funds the government but defunds obamacare. can someone explain to me why anyone would think that making defunding obamacare the price for allowing the government to be funded possibly work?

now i don't understand the game plan here of conservatives like Ted Cruz and Mike Lee. No democrat would support a bill that funds the government but defunds obamacare. can someone explain to me why anyone would think that making defunding obamacare the price for allowing the government to be funded possibly work?

I would hope that any senator R or D who realizes what a cluster****
Obamacare is would vote to defund it perhaps with meaningful
agreement to revisit the parts that most are in agreement with.:twocents:

In clarification I'm speaking of the 26 yr olds on parents insurance.
Also the preexisting conditions clause,I can see that many are in favor of it.

Last edited:
Preaching to the choir? It is my personal opinion anyone in higher leadership positions, even the Republicans, absolutely knows there will be some form of UHC in this cournty sooner rather than later. Cruz and the others are just pretending to resist and probably have some healthcare corporate sponsers still banking as much as possible. But they know. I think Obamacare is a done deal and a more pure form of UHC is on the way.

Preaching to the choir? It is my personal opinion anyone in higher leadership positions, even the Republicans, absolutely knows there will be some form of UHC in this cournty sooner rather than later. Cruz and the others are just pretending to resist and probably have some healthcare corporate sponsers still banking as much as possible. But they know. I think Obamacare is a done deal and a more pure form of UHC is on the way.

yeah but i find it annoying that very few people actaully talk about this on this forum.

There is no game plan. This isn't about actually defunding or delaying Obamacare, which they obviously don't have the leverage to do.

This is about playing to the rightwing base. A whole cottage industry has sprung up around telling those folks what they want to hear, reality be damned (for the most amusing example, see the "unskewed polls" nonsense from last year that led so many to, absurdly, expect a Romney landslide ).

Or as one Republican put it pretty succinctly yesterday:
“I think it was good for their presidential ambitions, but it’s not a realistic plan. I’m pretty sure their email lists got built [up],” Sen. Mike Johanns (R-Neb.) told The Hill on Wednesday.

I don't think Obamacare will survive the next Presidential term, I agree though that UHC will, as it's something both parties actually support....just in a better way.

It is actually pretty easy. they do not run countrywide campaigns. They only have to please the ignorant slime infesting their districts which means they can be extreme and the people who matter, their electorate, will be happy they sunk america out of spite. It is one of the weaknesses of a voting system which regional interests are much more important than national issues, and voters have been systematically made more ignorant and stupid by religion and blue collar patriotism that sees intelligence as evil.

I would hope that any senator R or D who realizes what a cluster****
Obamacare is would vote to defund it perhaps with meaningful
agreement to revisit the parts that most are in agreement with.:twocents:

In clarification I'm speaking of the 26 yr olds on parents insurance.
Also the preexisting conditions clause,I can see that many are in favor of it.

I love the current Conservative position on Obamacare. Keep the good stuff ( that costs money) and ditch that other stuff that pays for the good stuff.

Classic. That's the stuff you can expect to see in the future if the GOP ever comes back into power, folks. Just like 2000-2004. Spend and don't-tax, and then blame the debt on the next guy!!

Back
Top Bottom