• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Politicians Who Start Wars: The Real Cowards Among Us!

Cold Highway

Dispenser of Negativity
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Newburgh, New York and World 8: Dark Land
Political Leaning
Libertarian
These wars then are being waged for other reasons; reasons that have absolutely nothing to do with national security. So why then are U.S. forces there? In my opinion, there are many reasons, but not a single one is moral, constitutional or right. The general reasons are always the same it seems, those reasons being money and power. War of course is all about both money and power, and war is big business exemplified. Just consider a few of the major recipients of military contracts; contracts that result in hundreds of billions of dollars in additional revenue every year for those businesses who are dependent on death for their survival. Some of those include companies like Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Boeing, Raytheon, United Technologies, and of course the infamous Halliburton and XE Services, formerly Blackwater, and yes, even General Motors. Of course, many oil companies are also on this list. There are of course, hundreds of thousands of U.S. defense contracts awarded or "won" each year. According to this site, over 530,000 defense contracts worth over $362,000,000,000.00 were issued ("won") in 2009 alone. This list of companies receiving tax money for military contracts is staggering to say the very least. You see, when I said war is big business, I wasn’t kidding. When considering that these current wars have been going on for over ten years, it is obvious that these wars alone create a multi-trillion dollar business!

Now consider all the politicians who represent all the towns, cities, and states across this nation, and one can begin to understand the relationship between war, money, and political power. Then consider all those political contributions made by all the contract companies scattered across America to these same politicians. Are you beginning to get the picture? If you think you are, then think some more. Who finances all these transactions and controls all the money during this process? The big banks do of course, and because of this they are able to expand by leverage these huge sums of money into very questionable investments; investments that garner them billions in profits. These massive profits are obtained at the expense of us all. What about all the foreign companies getting defense contracts? What about all the foreign governments gaining money and protection to participate in these wars of aggression? What about all the oil and oil pipelines, and other natural resources being stolen and controlled by the U.S. due to these unholy wars? Who will reap the monetary benefits of this piracy in the future? Believe me when I tell you: It won’t be you or me!

Politicians Who Start Wars: The Real Cowards Among Us! by Gary D. Barnett

There is a say I heard a few years ago which relates the chickenhawk culture that is prevalent in DC.

"War is when the old and bitter, get the young and naive to kill each other."

I betcha he'd be the first to complain if all the jobs in the defence industry went down the drain, if Lockheed, or Martin, or Boeing moved overseas, while war is regrettable, the industry surrounding it is essential.

It's not that politicians are cowards when they start wars - it's that politicians are cowards when they start wars for no good reason, and especially when they do it to hand government contracts to the defense industry businesses they own stock in, or get campaign contributions from.

When it comes to way, I think one of my favorite quotes ever is from the philosopher John Stewart Mill.

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Peace is all well and good, and you will rarely find somebody who is in the military that is not a pacifist to some degree. But we also understand that often times wars are needed. Because there are some very bad people in this world, and force is the only thing they ever seem to understand.

So you either display some of that force on their backside and hope they stop. Ask Khadaffi about that.

And if that does not work, you kill them with that force. Then they are rarely problems ever again. Just ask Hitler and Saddam about that.

Back
Top Bottom