• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Politicians getting paid...

should the politicians keep getting paid?

• Total voters

Bodi

Just waiting for my set...
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
If the government shuts down and federal employees are not getting paid... should the politicians keep getting paid?

If the government shuts down and federal employees are not getting paid... should the politicians keep getting paid?

I believe that Trump has foregone his pay but the rest of the cowards in congress who profit from inside trading don't want any part of that.

Article I, Section 6 of the U.S. Constitution allows the lawmakers to still get paid their salaries, despite the federal government being shut down due to their inability to reach an agreement.

Their salaries ($174,000) are written into permanent law and not funded through annual appropriations.

However, more than 70 members of Congress have refused their salaries while the stalemate continues.

I voted other. On one hand I think that the moral thing to do is to withhold pay, but on the other hand that puts more pressure on the politicians that aren't millionaires which is definitely a negative.

Yes.

Many congressmen actually need their salaries to meet their living expenses. The same is not true for any President. Causing congress to forgo their pay would give the executive a huge advantage in negotiating during a shutdown.

Yes.

Many congressmen actually need their salaries to meet their living expenses. The same is not true for any President. Causing congress to forgo their pay would give the executive a huge advantage in negotiating during a shutdown.

Wait! :lol:

They need their salaries yet they and are taking their money yet not compromising so that the truly hard working American government employees living day to day on meager salaries are getting ****ed out of their money? And the Executive of the nation is a politician.... Don't you think that this situation would be worked out quickly if the congress people had to solve the problem before they got paid?

Wait! :lol:

They need their salaries yet they and are taking their money yet not compromising so that the truly hard working American government employees living day to day on meager salaries are getting ****ed out of their money? And the Executive of the nation is a politician.... Don't you think that this situation would be worked out quickly if the congress people had to solve the problem before they got paid?

Yes. And that’s the problem. Congressmen would be apt to cave in to the President even if the President is wrong.

Put the President on the street and even the playing field between him and congress and I’d agree with you.

No. Politicians, congress I presume. No, they shouldn't. First off they failed to do their job in getting all 12 appropriations bills passed prior to the end of the fiscal year. Even before the shutdown, we were paying them for failure to do their assigned job. Then our beloved politicians let their ultra partisanship, disregard for the country as a whole to cause a government shutdown when if they were doing their jobs for all the people of this country, they would have worked something out long before the shutdown occurred.

i've said for years that i support paying politicians the average national salary plus the average national benefits package. basically, fifty five grand a year, two weeks PTO, no union, and moderately lousy network restricted health insurance with high deductibles and copays. also, they can be fired for any reason or for no reason at all. make them "independent contractors."

While I am all in on the shutdown for the sake of getting funding for the border wall, no, I don't think the politicians should get paid during the shutdown. I would go even farther and say they should not get back pay when the shutdown ends. However Trump only takes $1.00 in salary and gives that to charity. Perhaps if congress were not getting paid, the rank and file members of Chuckie and Nancy's party would push them to negotiate and compromise.

I believe that Trump has foregone his pay but the rest of the cowards in congress who profit from inside trading don't want any part of that.

By law, he had to take some money. He takes a salary of $1.00 per pay check and gives that to charity.

i've said for years that i support paying politicians the average national salary plus the average national benefits package. basically, fifty five grand a year, two weeks PTO, no union, and moderately lousy network restricted health insurance with high deductibles and copays. also, they can be fired for any reason or for no reason at all. make them "independent contractors."

Not to defend Congressmen but you can’t live in DC in 50 grand a year. Add to that the fact that they typically have to maintain 2 households - one in DC and one in their home state and the 180 grand they make probably isn’t enough.

I’ve read more than one story of new congressmen sleeping in their offices because they can’t afford DC rents.

Not to defend Congressmen but you can’t live in DC in 50 grand a year. Add to that the fact that they typically have to maintain 2 households - one in DC and one in their home state and the 180 grand they make probably isn’t enough.

I’ve read more than one story of new congressmen sleeping in their offices because they can’t afford DC rents.

a lot of people in big cities can't afford rent. maybe we should do something about that.

I voted other. On one hand I think that the moral thing to do is to withhold pay, but on the other hand that puts more pressure on the politicians that aren't millionaires which is definitely a negative.

I think all representatives should be paid median wage and be required to reside in the worst are they represent for the duration of their terms.

Then self interest might make them improve things for the least of their constituents instead of just their donors.

a lot of people in big cities can't afford rent. maybe we should do something about that.

Don’t you think that’s a mite facile?

Congressmen don’t have a choice they have to be in Washington. People who live in cities they can’t afford can move.

Congressmen don’t have a choice they have to be in Washington. People who live in cities they can’t afford can move.

it's easy to not be a politician. moving from where you are planted can be a bit more challenging.

this is America. we don't have nobility here. representatives of the people should experience the same living conditions that everyone else does.

Almost there. I believe it's 30 days and then Trump can implement RIF (reduction in force). The only way to get rid of liberals in government, since you can't actually fire them.

Worse, many of the Democrats decided this was a great opportunity to go on vacation traveling the world at taxpayer expense, including wanting it taken out of the military's budget. I guess Pelosi and her staff will have to fly commercial if she wants to go legally smoke pot in Brussels, though it still would be at government/taxpayer expense.

Yes.

Poor Nancy Pelosi with only $200,000,000.oo.

it's easy to not be a politician. moving from where you are planted can be a bit more challenging.

this is America. we don't have nobility here. representatives of the people should experience the same living conditions that everyone else does.

You’d create the very nobility you’re talking about because normal people could never afford to take the job.

The average Congressman makes 180K and has a net worth of 900,000. That’s middle class where I live.

Last edited:
Your idea would exclude all but the wealthy from being in Congress - especially the House. Is that what you really want?

The average Congressman makes 180K and has a net worth of 900,000. That’s middle class where I live.

what i want is for everyone to have debt free access to as much education as they want, as well as a first world health care system that bankrupts no one. members of congress struggling to pay the rent like everyone else has to do is low on my "oh no, not that" list. as for only the rich having access to congress, i doubt that would be much different than the current situation.

Poor Nancy Pelosi with only $200,000,000.oo.

She’s the exception. As stated earlier the average house member is worth 900K. That’s middle class wealth in most big cities.

If I had my way, elected federal politicians and wouldn't be given an salary for their service. They'd be given, as they were from 1789-1815, and again from 1817 to 1855 a per diem for time spent in Washington and expense reimbursement while traveling on government business.

They ought to do what representatives did when the country was created: come to DC, serve, and then return from whence they came and re-enter the business world to realize or suffer the effects of the laws they passed. After all, if the laws one passed are so darn good for everyone, as one of the writers and signers of them, one should be not only chomping at the bit to avail oneself of them, but also to return to truly remunerative work at wages that can sustain the lifestyle that accorded one the renown to win an election.

Their obligations at home were supposed to keep them from making a career of it. Citizen legislators, not career politicians.

Worse, many of the Democrats decided this was a great opportunity to go on vacation traveling the world at taxpayer expense, including wanting it taken out of the military's budget. I guess Pelosi and her staff will have to fly commercial if she wants to go legally smoke pot in Brussels, though it still would be at government/taxpayer expense.

Google machine on the fritz? “What country is Europe in?” The Netherlands and Belgium are in the EU and share a border; however cannabis use is illegal in Belgium. You’re better than this, right?????

Back
Top Bottom