• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Politician- Fidelity?

Politician- Fidelity?

• Between the Politician and their spouse -Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JANFU

Not quite there yet, but getting close
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Politician- Fidelity?

Is this an important issue for you? Yes

Is this an important issue for you? No

Between the Politician and their spouse

Public has a right to know – Yes

Public has a right to know – No

I vote by the Politicians record

Redress

Liberal Fascist For Life!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
I do not care in any way about a candidates personal life(within reason...if the candidate decides to have sex with a goat at noon on main street, that might affect my vote). Who a candidate sleeps with or not does not matter to me. That is between them, their family, and the person they slept with.

OrphanSlug

A sinister place...
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I think it depends on the politician, especially when they set themselves up with an ideology claiming family and/or religious values.

Jesse Booth

we live in a society
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
I look at it this way: someone who doesn't care to uphold their vows to their spouse probably doesn't care to uphold their vows to the nation. It's the same reason the military kicks people out for infidelity - if you'll break one vow, you'll break another.

This is assuming the OP meant in reference to marriage, of course- it wasn't specified.

JANFU

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I think it depends on the politician, especially when they set themselves up with an ideology claiming family and/or religious values.

I have known a number of people that had affairs over the years. many ended in divorce, others worked thru it. Those that did, did not need to be pilloried -advised they were wrong - suffer insults by friends and neighbors for their choice to stay together.

OrphanSlug

A sinister place...
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I have known a number of people that had affairs over the years. many ended in divorce, others worked thru it. Those that did, did not need to be pilloried -advised they were wrong - suffer insults by friends and neighbors for their choice to stay together.

I would assume the majority of us do know someone(s) who have been through rough marriages, counseling, affairs, divorce, what have you.

It is not about me finding just any opportunity to judge a politician. It is about the idea that someone who claims to stand for a view and ends up acting in a manner contrary to that view. That seems like textbook hypocrisy to me.

Agreed with that ideology of a governance based on social and moral influences or not, we have a real issue with any politician that claims to stand for those values in governance but does not act in the same way in their personal lives.

We should be evaluating those actions. They may or may not influence their role in that governance.

WCH

Believer
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Mrs. Bill Clinton should be an easy one.

JANFU

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I would assume the majority of us do know someone(s) who have been through rough marriages, counseling, affairs, divorce, what have you.

It is not about me finding just any opportunity to judge a politician. It is about the idea that someone who claims to stand for a view and ends up acting in a manner contrary to that view. That seems like textbook hypocrisy to me.

Agreed with that ideology of a governance based on social and moral influences or not, we have a real issue with any politician that claims to stand for those values in governance but does not act in the same way in their personal lives.

We should be evaluating those actions. They may or may not influence their role in that governance.
Well textbook hypocrisy,then consider what they promise and what they do.
As to the ones who swear they live by the bible, and mount podium after podium, stating such. Myself I consider that people do mess up. And i do look at the circumstances. Is this a common practice for the individual, is that person constantly running around on their spouse??
Then as you mention we have those others, that race to condemn this or that person, for doing what they have repeatedly done in secret and for many years.
One recent case was the Senator caught in the public washrooms.
Another would be someone that had immense political sway with Politicians. The Rev Jerry Falwell -Jim Baker.
Those are ones that should be held accountable.
Perhaps I could have /should have clarified that at the start.
Ones who had a misstep in life. Not the serial types like we have all seen.
Hope this makes sense.

Skeptic Bob

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
I couldn't care less about it. That's between the person and his or her spouse.

Van Basten

Black Is Smart
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
If you've betrayed your significant other, you could do a lot of things.

I don't know, it depends on the person in question.

SDET

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right

As long as they don't run for office...

Phys251

Anti-vaxxers threaten our liberty
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
If they run on a campaign of "family values," then yes, absolutely.

If they want to let consenting adults live and let live, then I will return the favor.

Top Bottom