• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

political parenting

OK or not OK

• Total voters

mpg

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Should parents teach their kids to have the same politics as the parents?

I would do it in RARE instances, but overall, I think it's a bad idea.

Last edited:
Just what we need is LESS open-minded people in this world.

quote 78.jpg

I think I'll teach my children about the merits of constitution, democratic/republican government, human rights and civil problem solving, compared to the evils of dictatorship and ideological fanatism. But I will certainly *not* try to teach them that one political party (respecting the constitution) is better than another.

If I'm successful, they'll hopefully learn soon enough that there are always different perspectives on a matter and more than one side to every story, and that's fine as long as no side attempts to brutalize the other.

I think parents should teach their kids morality and principles and encourage them to stand up for them, but not blind allegiance to a particular partisan group.

I think parents should teach their kids morality and principles and encourage them to stand up for them, but not blind allegiance to a particular partisan group.
Would you encourage them to be on a particular side of a particular issue? For example, would you teach them to oppose capital punishment, or anything like that? How many issues would you be willing to do that with?

Obviously not, that should be left to their teachers (gov't agents of truth?). A complete indoctrination into the wonders of depending on a big gov't (nanny state?) should be firmly and repeatedly impressed into their little brains for at least 14 years, after which they will learn to vote "correctly" on all matters. ;)

Would you encourage them to be on a particular side of a particular issue? For example, would you teach them to oppose capital punishment, or anything like that? How many issues would you be willing to do that with?

I had this growing up from my parents.

My mom is very partisan towards the conservatives but my dad taught me that all politicians were idiots.

Just because a parent teaches their child to have the same politics doesn't mean their child actually will.

If my dad has a different view point as me it's fine as long as I give good examples and I am able to give facts to support my claim .

Teaching them how to think and analyze facts.

Not what to think, or how to make the facts fit their problem.

Just because a parent teaches their child to have the same politics doesn't mean their child actually will.

Just because a parent teaches or models anything doesn't mean the kid will follow. Trust.

But I did model civic responsibility and local activism, and so my children know how to check voter registration rolls against petition signatures and etc. I took them with me to the polls every time, and I vote in every election. Now they do too, and one of them goes with me to vote every time. It's what we do.

Depends on one's perspective I suppose. I can teach my kid's that valuing life is important. If they ask what I think about something, I tell them. To some that is indoctrination because "Of course they will believe what you believe no matter how you phrase it", but to me it is not the same thing as teaching them that my opinion is the only correct one.

Depends on one's perspective I suppose. I can teach my kid's that valuing life is important. If they ask what I think about something, I tell them. To some that is indoctrination because "Of course they will believe what you believe no matter how you phrase it", but to me it is not the same thing as teaching them that my opinion is the only correct one.

I don't think this is indoctrination either. Besides, I'd like to think that most parents inculcate the understanding that one must be true to oneself.

Additionally, learning is a two-way street. My child when 13 is the one who showed me the pro-life light. And we grew together to oppose the death penalty.

I agree but that isn't the question. This is about teaching kids what their politics should be.

I don't see how to raise someone without imparting your values to them. But so long as those values include critical thinking and not blind obedience, then those children will decide for themselves and make their own decisions.

I pretty much will regardless of intent or degree of exposure to politics anyhow. They live with you, and they will pick up your politics at least to some extent.

I pretty much will regardless of intent or degree of exposure to politics anyhow. They live with you, and they will pick up your politics at least to some extent.
My parents almost never talked about politics in front of us kids and I do the same thing with my daughter.

Parents should teach their kids solid family values. If they do it right, they won't have to worry about their kid drifting to the Left.

I will pick none of the options because none suits my answer.

I think parents should keep their kids away from politics until they grow up to a proper age (their 20s). Anyway, when I have kids, I'll give them the same advice my grandfather gives me: stay out of politics.

We do have many smart people here...
Me ?
I think that its best to teach our children to reason, use logic, ect....., but NOT to be clones of their parents.

dinner time with family was almost always a time of political debate
we were allowed - strike that - we were expected to form our own views
and then defend them over the meal
something i will always appreciate
Mom's amazingly good country cookin' and Dad's depth of debate
except for the amazing cooking (sorry kids), i have carried this over to my own family
and the kids were soon able to hold their own in any arguments
we remain diametrically opposed regarding illegal immigrants and amnesty, but they have shaped my opinions in many ways
and this has spilled over in a positive way to allow our kids (now young adults) to discuss (almost) anything with us [my daughter - thankfully - does not involve me in her sexual discussions just as my son does not reveal any such information to his mother. but otherwise, they feel comfortable discussing anything from drugs, to relationships, to religion and spirituality, to fears and concerns, to dreams, accomplishments and failures]. and i do believe much of that openness is directly a result of the tradition of political debate

as you can see, i am proud of my kids and their ability to concoct and defend their own views ... even if they do hold some wrong political opinions

Parents should teach their kids solid family values. If they do it right, they won't have to worry about their kid drifting to the Left.
Ha!
Then "family values" needs to be defined...in detail.

Neither a liberal nor conservative be...........

Back
Top Bottom