• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Political correctness, Newspeak?

Montecresto

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
If you say the “wrong thing” in America today, you could be penalized, fired or even taken to court. Political correctness is running rampant, and it is absolutely destroying this nation. In his novel 1984, George Orwell imagined a future world where speech was greatly restricted. He called that the language that the totalitarian state in his novel created “Newspeak”, and it bears a striking resemblance to the political correctness that we see in America right now. According to Wikipedia, Newspeak is “a reduced language created by the totalitarian state as a tool to limit free thought, and concepts that pose a threat to the regime such as freedom, self-expression, individuality, peace, etc. Any form of thought alternative to the party’s construct is classified as ‘thoughtcrime.’” Yes, people are not usually being hauled off to prison for what they are saying just yet, but we are heading down that path. Every single day, the mainstream media in the United States bombards us with subtle messages about what we should believe and what “appropriate speech” consists of. Most of the time, most Americans quietly fall in line with this unwritten speech code. In fact, most of the time we enforce this unwritten speech code among each other. Those that would dare to buck the system are finding out that the consequences can be rather severe. The following are 19 shocking examples of how political correctness is destroying America…

http://endoftheamericandream.com/ar...w-political-correctness-is-destroying-america

Don't like it move to France where the political correctness is almost non-existent.

Why exactly does your free speech rights invalidate my free speech rights in criticizing what you say?

As for being taken to court...yes if proven defamation should be something that you can take someone to court for. If I went to your town and told everyone you were a pedophile it could have real ramifications for you. That's not right! That should be punishable.

If you say the “wrong thing” in America today, you could be penalized, fired or even taken to court. Political correctness is running rampant, and it is absolutely destroying this nation. In his novel 1984, George Orwell imagined a future world where speech was greatly restricted. He called that the language that the totalitarian state in his novel created “Newspeak”, and it bears a striking resemblance to the political correctness that we see in America right now. According to Wikipedia, Newspeak is “a reduced language created by the totalitarian state as a tool to limit free thought, and concepts that pose a threat to the regime such as freedom, self-expression, individuality, peace, etc. Any form of thought alternative to the party’s construct is classified as ‘thoughtcrime.’” Yes, people are not usually being hauled off to prison for what they are saying just yet, but we are heading down that path. Every single day, the mainstream media in the United States bombards us with subtle messages about what we should believe and what “appropriate speech” consists of. Most of the time, most Americans quietly fall in line with this unwritten speech code. In fact, most of the time we enforce this unwritten speech code among each other. Those that would dare to buck the system are finding out that the consequences can be rather severe. The following are 19 shocking examples of how political correctness is destroying America…

19 Shocking Examples Of How Political Correctness Is Destroying America

you seem not to be able to distinguish between the abuse of government power to limit free speech, as discussed in 1984, when compared to objections to forms of speech by members of society, having no authority other than their force of persuasion

Why exactly does your free speech rights invalidate my free speech rights in criticizing what you say?

As for being taken to court...yes if proven defamation should be something that you can take someone to court for. If I went to your town and told everyone you were a pedophile it could have real ramifications for you. That's not right! That should be punishable.

Political correctness mustn't be confused with defamation, a whole different and serious beast.

you seem not to be able to distinguish between the abuse of government power to limit free speech, as discussed in 1984, when compared to objections to forms of speech by members of society, having no authority other than their force of persuasion

Clearly you didn't click the link and read the nineteen examples given, which is no exhaustive list by any means.

Clearly you didn't click the link and read the nineteen examples given, which is no exhaustive list by any means.

I didn't see any government power restricting free speech on that list either. Some of those examples clearly go over the line, but there is a huge difference between private citizens punishing others for what they said and the government enforcing penalties on speech.

What do you mean, they're all government except #5 & #14.

I didn't see any government power restricting free speech on that list either. Some of those examples clearly go over the line, but there is a huge difference between private citizens punishing others for what they said and the government enforcing penalties on speech.

Are you really attempting to argue that the first amendment is not under attack?

Are you really attempting to argue that the first amendment is not under attack?

while i cannot speak for anagram, there is no ongoing attack upon the first amendment
but with threads like this, there is certain to soon be a run on tin foil

while i cannot speak for anagram, there is no ongoing attack upon the first amendment
but with threads like this, there is certain to soon be a run on tin foil

Ok, so lets play a game, every time you say there is no attack on the first amendment, I will throw up an example proving there is. Then when you get tired of that, we'll move on to the fourth.

In the wake of recent events, many people of a variety of persuasions are coming to agree that the First Amendment, which protects and ensures our first freedoms, is facing an all-out attack.

The IRS has been bullying groups who sought to advance a message and perspective that the government didn’t like or want around. The latest example includes startling audio of an IRS agent lecturing a non-profit organization about placing boundaries on her religious activities if she wants to gain a tax exemption. Far from the “live and let live” attitude feigned by many in leadership today, the government’s deliberate, targeted scrutiny and intimidation of groups who aren’t favored by the current political regime demonstrates their true feelings about respecting all viewpoints. At the altar of a particular government agenda, freedom of speech is sacrificed.

http://townhall.com/columnists/kell...ack-on-the-first-amendment-n1622109/page/full

There was definitely no violation of the first amendment with the senator suggesting, not legislatively requiring, a protest in Russia.

Is that to say that the other eighteen examples are attacks or violations of the first?

1. The clown was hired to do a performance. Whoever hired him has a right to decide what is acceptable while he's working for them. It would only be a 1st amendment violation if he was hired by the state and their guidelines are partisan.

2. The Seattle memo seems to be advisory only, so its not a violation.

3. I think virtually all employees, including government employees, deserve full freedom of expression while off-duty as long as they don't claim to represent their employer. However, so far the courts have allowed such restrictions.

4. A mere statement is not a rule, so its not a violation.

5. If he is teaching a science class on evolution he could reasonably be required to not mention intelligent design as if it had any scientific basis (it doesn't) . He is employed to represent his school, so I don't consider it a violation.

6. The Mayor only asked, it was not a law or enforcement action. Not a violation.

8. I don't think the government should be hiring chaplains due to the first amendment. I don't know enough about the rules they work under to have an opinion.

9. No first amendment issue at all.

10. That act protects the rights of library users-no violation.

11. I don't agree with the decision but since only one child was selected for the event, then an editorial decision was already made. Not a violation.

12. They say they were enforcing a anti-taunting rule, which is plausible. Sounds silly, but probably not a violation.

out of time to answer the rest..may be continued.

Is the thing with privacy screens at the SF library true? Most places I would have my doubt, but SF seems to love doing stuff like that

1. The clown was hired to do a performance. Whoever hired him has a right to decide what is acceptable while he's working for them. It would only be a 1st amendment violation if he was hired by the state and their guidelines are partisan.

2. The Seattle memo seems to be advisory only, so its not a violation.

3. I think virtually all employees, including government employees, deserve full freedom of expression while off-duty as long as they don't claim to represent their employer. However, so far the courts have allowed such restrictions.

4. A mere statement is not a rule, so its not a violation.

5. If he is teaching a science class on evolution he could reasonably be required to not mention intelligent design as if it had any scientific basis (it doesn't) . He is employed to represent his school, so I don't consider it a violation.

6. The Mayor only asked, it was not a law or enforcement action. Not a violation.

8. I don't think the government should be hiring chaplains due to the first amendment. I don't know enough about the rules they work under to have an opinion.

9. No first amendment issue at all.

10. That act protects the rights of library users-no violation.

11. I don't agree with the decision but since only one child was selected for the event, then an editorial decision was already made. Not a violation.

12. They say they were enforcing a anti-taunting rule, which is plausible. Sounds silly, but probably not a violation.

out of time to answer the rest..may be continued.

I disagree with all your assessments here. And if you dispute that the first amendment is under attack , then no amount of examples will persuade you.

Is the thing with privacy screens at the SF library true? Most places I would have my doubt, but SF seems to love doing stuff like that

There are privacy screens and there is no content monitoring or filtering. "Perverts" aren't the only ones who want privacy and the right to view anything they want.

There are privacy screens and there is no content monitoring or filtering. "Perverts" aren't the only ones who want privacy and the right to view anything they want.

lol, how does that address my question?

I disagree with all your assessments here. And if you dispute that the first amendment is under attack , then no amount of examples will persuade you.

Many of those articles deceitfully misrepresent the intent of these actions to make it look like persecution of Christians.

I think restrictions on off-duty free expression by government workers is a violation.

The other most blatant violations of the first amendment freedom of expression are broadcast indecency rules and obscenity laws.

The most blatant violation of religious rights and the establishment clause are official prayers before government sponsored events, putting chaplains on the government payroll, and allowing religious symbols on government property without providing equal access for all.

lol, how does that address my question?

Its true there are screens. The writer of the article made up the part about them being there for "perverts."

Your fourth comment I do agree with.

But they are there for perverts, and everyone else.

Back
Top Bottom