• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:583] Political Compass Thread

She is a barely functional idiot who thinks a WiFi router can give you cancer.
Not to mention every bit as much a fully functioning Russian asset as Trump, except to the Left instead of Right.

Yeah, why didn't they profile Bernie yet, or Sherrod Brown, or Buttigieg, or Beto, or Hickenlooper?
Very interesting to see most if not all the mainstream Dems piling up on the right just under Trump except not as "authoritarian"...whew, I guess that's a relief! (LOL)

Basically all of the other Dem candidates other than Bernie, Tulsi, and Warren are going to be very near where Obama and Hillary were. They aren't much different. Tulsi will likely be a bit more libertarian leaning, and maybe slightly less left, but otherwise pretty close to Bernie. Warren will be closer to center, but still to the left.

Grandiloquence at its finest!

Just say right left middle...geez

No, because it actually matters how "libertarian or authoritarian" one is, too.
You could be moderate left but if you're super authoritarian, what do you get?
You get a leader who wants to nationalize everything and impose dictatorial edicts, and rule virtually by fiat.
That's every bit as bad on the Left as it is on the Right.

If they're too libertarian, it's like electing a stoned hippie who was too lackadaisical even to work at Ben and Jerry's.
(Yes, I'm trying to be "funny")

But a WEE bit libertarian, not so terrible. They don't want to interfere in capitalism, they just want it be less predatory to the working man.

So, left or right is important but so is the libertarian vs authoritarian scale.
To be honest, I actually thought I was a little bit more to the right but they didn't ask very many gun questions, which would have nudged me over some because I am a gun owner and I am okay with the 2A.
I also thought my support for English requirements for immigrants was going to push me to the right a little more also.

Basically all of the other Dem candidates other than Bernie, Tulsi, and Warren are going to be very near where Obama and Hillary were. They aren't much different. Tulsi will likely be a bit more libertarian leaning, and maybe slightly less left, but otherwise pretty close to Bernie. Warren will be closer to center, but still to the left.

I really wish Liz Warren had never mentioned that stupid DNA test, but on the other hand maybe it's good she did because it exposed her weakness, which is that she is too dense to understand that you don't fight Trump on HIS terms, you fight him on YOUR terms.

Her response to his idiotic "Pocahontas" bullcrap should have been ONE LINE ONLY, delivered ONCE:

"It's an old family story, and it's none of your business, unless you want me to start dissecting your marriages and affairs, so kindly SHUT UP about my genetics, thank you."

Basically every 'political compass test' I've seen is nothing but Libertarian propaganda, trying to sell people the idea that to their surprise, they actually support Libertarianism more than they realized and to legitimize the ideology.

Libertarianism is simply an ideology that is the wolf of plutocracy using the sheep's clothing of a political ideology to try to gain converts - in short, saying 'if you want pot legalized' or other freedoms, then 'you're libertarian' to get people to support the Koch brothers ruling the world. This phony 'Libertarianism' has completely taken over the Republican Party and resulted in record inequality and a greatly weakened public representation in the US government.

I really wish Liz Warren had never mentioned that stupid DNA test, but on the other hand maybe it's good she did because it exposed her weakness, which is that she is too dense to understand that you don't fight Trump on HIS terms, you fight him on YOUR terms.

Her response to his idiotic "Pocahontas" bullcrap should have been ONE LINE ONLY, delivered ONCE:

"It's an old family story, and it's none of your business, unless you want me to start dissecting your marriages and affairs, so kindly SHUT UP about my genetics, thank you."

The problem is, as long as the right-wing noise machine was actually hurting her politically by repeating the Pocahantas idiocy, that response was just inadequate politically. I'm fine with her responding as she did, which seems to have deinflated it more than it was.

Basically every 'political compass test' I've seen is nothing but Libertarian propaganda, trying to sell people the idea that to their surprise, they actually support Libertarianism more than they realized and to legitimize the ideology.

Libertarianism is simply an ideology that is the wolf of plutocracy using the sheep's clothing of a political ideology to try to gain converts - in short, saying 'if you want pot legalized' or other freedoms, then 'you're libertarian' to get people to support the Koch brothers ruling the world. This phony 'Libertarianism' has completely taken over the Republican Party and resulted in record inequality and a greatly weakened public representation in the US government.

i mean, it's a scale, and it goes away from libertarianism and towards authoritarianism, too. in terms of these tests, the idea is to see, based on your answers to questions, do you actually support freedom or not. "big government", like most conservatives like to talk about, is a meaningless buzz term that only applies to government they don't like, ie welfare programs.

i mean, it's a scale, and it goes away from libertarianism and towards authoritarianism, too. in terms of these tests, the idea is to see, based on your answers to questions, do you actually support freedom or not. "big government", like most conservatives like to talk about, is a meaningless buzz term that only applies to government they don't like, ie welfare programs.

You did not understand my post. You are simply buying into the propaganda, as they hoped.

You did not understand my post. You are simply buying into the propaganda, as they hoped.

what are you even talking about? no one thinks "oh i'm libertarian because i want weed legalized", except for maybe 16 year old potheads on 4chan or something.

and dipping down into the lower left of the compass doesn't make you a libertarian either, it just means that you value getting the government out of the personal lives of Americans.

the only way you'd really be an actual libertarian is if you were very close to the bottom of the scale and on the right. if you're on the left and near that, you're likely an anarchist of some sort.

The problem is, as long as the right-wing noise machine was actually hurting her politically by repeating the Pocahantas idiocy, that response was just inadequate politically. I'm fine with her responding as she did, which seems to have deinflated it more than it was.

No, I wish you were right, I really do, but you're not.
She took a pounding over that nonsense, and as regards her response, it would have been more than adequate provided she addressed it directly to Donald Trump PERSONALLY.

PERSONALLY, as in bringing it up during a presser, and speaking his name out loud, and responding personally.
Trump understands that kind of communication, it is the only thing he understands.

The DNA test made her a laughingstock, because the results showed that she had such a miniscule fraction of Native American DNA as to barely be measurable. And that is precisely what the right wing blogosphere pounced on and eviscerated to smithereens. And they'll pick right back up where they left off, too.

No, I wish you were right, I really do, but you're not.
She took a pounding over that nonsense, and as regards her response, it would have been more than adequate provided she addressed it directly to Donald Trump PERSONALLY.

PERSONALLY, as in bringing it up during a presser, and speaking his name out loud, and responding personally.
Trump understands that kind of communication, it is the only thing he understands.

The DNA test made her a laughingstock, because the results showed that she had such a miniscule fraction of Native American DNA as to barely be measurable. And that is precisely what the right wing blogosphere pounced on and eviscerated to smithereens. And they'll pick right back up where they left off, too.

The results showed exactly what she had always claimed, a distant ancestor.

You're falling for Republican lies, as so often happens - just as they lie that the Steele Dossiere was claimed to be 100% true when it was always a raw collection of rumors with many expected not to be true, just as they tried to claim that the requirement for the Mueller investigation was charging trump with conspiring and if it didn't, he did nothing wrong, they lied about Warren's claims, and they said when the truth matched her story but not their false version of it, that she had lied.

It's like in your post, when you claimed you'd show Warren admitted she lied, but showed no such evidence. Oh wait, you never said that, but I just claimed you did, so you failed MY false claim, and you lied by the measure of my false claim - see how that works?

And it's even worse than that. Warren's story was simply that she had heard the stories growing up, and she admitted they might even be completely false - so the DNA test confirmed they were actually true.

So let's review. Warren claimed she heard family stories of a distant native in the family tree. The DNA test confirmed just what she had said. Republicans claimed she said she was Native American. She didn't. Many claimed she did it for career benefits. She proved she had never done so. Republicans lied about all of it. And the DNA test did not make her a laughing stock except to people who fall for the Republican lies.

The results showed exactly what she had always claimed, a distant ancestor.

You're falling for Republican lies, as so often happens - just as they lie that the Steele Dossiere was claimed to be 100% true when it was always a raw collection of rumors with many expected not to be true, just as they tried to claim that the requirement for the Mueller investigation was charging trump with conspiring and if it didn't, he did nothing wrong, they lied about Warren's claims, and they said when the truth matched her story but not their false version of it, that she had lied.

It's like in your post, when you claimed you'd show Warren admitted she lied, but showed no such evidence. Oh wait, you never said that, but I just claimed you did, so you failed MY false claim, and you lied by the measure of my false claim - see how that works?

And it's even worse than that. Warren's story was simply that she had heard the stories growing up, and she admitted they might even be completely false - so the DNA test confirmed they were actually true.

So let's review. Warren claimed she heard family stories of a distant native in the family tree. The DNA test confirmed just what she had said. Republicans claimed she said she was Native American. She didn't. Many claimed she did it for career benefits. She proved she had never done so. Republicans lied about all of it. And the DNA test did not make her a laughing stock except to people who fall for the Republican lies.

Well first, I am not falling for anything, I am kicking the tires by demonstrating scenarios.
On a personal level I did not have a problem with her taking the test.
I don't even think I would have had a problem with her taking the test and finding out she was ZERO percent Native American.

I am talking how to approach, nothing more.
You and I just happen to disagree as to whether she damaged her credibility with potential voters, that's all.
I come from a place of caution, you want bold strokes, and that's okay.

My issue is, by taking the test and then putting it out there, she was 'in essence' "feeding the troll", that's all.

DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS, ignore them.

Well first, I am not falling for anything, I am kicking the tires by demonstrating scenarios.
On a personal level I did not have a problem with her taking the test.
I don't even think I would have had a problem with her taking the test and finding out she was ZERO percent Native American.

I am talking how to approach, nothing more.
You and I just happen to disagree as to whether she damaged her credibility with potential voters, that's all.
I come from a place of caution, you want bold strokes, and that's okay.

My issue is, by taking the test and then putting it out there, she was 'in essence' "feeding the troll", that's all.

DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS, ignore them.

For what it's worth, I don't disagree with you that she 'hurt her credibility' with some voters, by the action she took or pretty much any action she could take - but largely voters who were already predisposed to see her as not credible, and to fall for the right-wing propaganda. My point is that the attacks don't stand up, that the loss of credibility is not justified. As to the politics, there's a lot of opinion involved it seems.

I did suspect the results would point that way given the distribution of the questions it featured, but it quite surprising. As I am not opposed to welfare programs as a sheer matter of principle, I would have suspected the dot would have fallen on the left and not the right. With that being said, for many people today, the left has more to do with identity politics than with problems involving poverty, for example.

political-compass.jpg

You are a center-right social libertarian.
Right: 2.99, Libertarian: 7.24

I did suspect the results would point that way given the distribution of the questions it featured, but it quite surprising. As I am not opposed to welfare programs as a sheer matter of principle, I would have suspected the dot would have fallen on the left and not the right. With that being said, for many people today, the left has more to do with identity politics than with problems involving poverty, for example.

And once again, the propaganda tool serves its purpose. It 'normalizes' and sells the radical plutocrat ideology of Libertarianism which has quietly, secretly taken over the Republican Party.

You come in thinking you're not Libertarian, and then are told, as if it's some objective comment, 'you are a libertarian'. Propaganda that makes people comfortable with that radical ideology. Ready to 'listen' all the more attentively the next time the 'Libertarian' view is offered, not understanding it's nothing but recruiting people to fool them to support plutocracy. (This part isn't you): But hey! pot and hookers, you're a Libertarian!

View attachment 67256315

Right: 2.99, Libertarian: 7.24

there's a lot of ways it could go. there are questions about labor rights, welfare programs, and also nationalist stuff, so you could have easily leaned more right in one of those, and not the others and been put on the right. that's why you're only 3 notches right of center.

the libertarian portion of it will just have to do with government involvement in social issues and war and stuff, i think. it's just the way the questions work. it's not a perfect test, although i'd say it's probably pretty good.

And once again, the propaganda tool serves its purpose. It 'normalizes' and sells the radical plutocrat ideology of Libertarianism which has quietly, secretly taken over the Republican Party.

I expected to score high in that dimension. That part is not surprising at all. I consider markets to be a very good default solution to coordinate people and I am profoundly opposed to a bunch of things such as censoring speech or much of affirmative action policies. The surprising part was that I was placed on the center-right, not that I scored about 7/10 in libertarianism. Besides, even if the topics covered will always involve some arbitrariness, this shows up as inaccurate measurements. Given my score, it would take a rather big measurement error to support your thesis. I do not reckon the questions were all that mismatched to current political disputes in the US or much of Canada for that matter. I cannot comment for Europeans, but I fail to see how they could have sufficiently biased the sample questions in a 60 question questionnaire to move my position 3 or 4 points out of 10 down.

You come in thinking you're not Libertarian, and then are told, as if it's some objective comment, 'you are a libertarian'. Propaganda that makes people comfortable with that radical ideology. Ready to 'listen' all the more attentively the next time the 'Libertarian' view is offered, not understanding it's nothing but recruiting people to fool them to support plutocracy. (This part isn't you): But hey! pot and hookers, you're a Libertarian!

I didn't have to take a stance on hookers and never thought about the issue enough to do so. However, with regards to drugs, I do have a problem with the government controlling these substances. It doesn't get rid of the demand, so it creates a niche for criminals to fund their activities. It is a problem on its own which makes me think that, maybe, all drugs should be sold. The other issue is that once you make some substances illegal, you need to impose a standard on the whole population: you effectively say, here is where everyone should draw the line. I frankly have a problem with this attitude, specifically. There is something distasteful about you telling other people their choices are wrong and being so convinced of the rectitude of your own views that you ought to use the threat of violence to prevent them from acting out their disagreement. My position on many matters is that you need very solid reasons and evidence to privilege concentrating the decision process as opposed to diffusing it across very many people. That's close enough to what libertarians believe.

Libertarians do not support secretly a form of plutocracy. Stop reading the NY Times so often.

there's a lot of ways it could go. there are questions about labor rights, welfare programs, and also nationalist stuff, so you could have easily leaned more right in one of those, and not the others and been put on the right. that's why you're only 3 notches right of center.

the libertarian portion of it will just have to do with government involvement in social issues and war and stuff, i think. it's just the way the questions work. it's not a perfect test, although i'd say it's probably pretty good.

I suppose that depending on the choices of questions, I could have landed more or less close to the center. With that being said, my impression that I should land left of center is based on the fact that I do not oppose welfare programs on principled grounds, even find some value in them, while most of what I have heard from the left over the last few years has been revolving around the theme of identity politics. It is fairly possible that many people would find it equally puzzling that I say I lean to the left, given how radically I oppose things like affirmative action, censorship or even the mandating of speech as in Canada.

Back when I started to get interested in politics, being on left meant you thought government programs to help promote a more level playing field were justified. Today, it seems as if all these people care about is responding with coercive powers to a dubious social theory of groups against groups, of course without bothering about those pesky things we call facts.

Libertarians do not support secretly a form of plutocracy. Stop reading the NY Times so often.

Actually, they do. You are in serious need of getting informed. And then there are their masses recruited on other issues - including things like these propaganda tools. Also, read what I said, "this part isn't you."

I suppose that depending on the choices of questions, I could have landed more or less close to the center. With that being said, my impression that I should land left of center is based on the fact that I do not oppose welfare programs on principled grounds, even find some value in them, while most of what I have heard from the left over the last few years has been revolving around the theme of identity politics. It is fairly possible that many people would find it equally puzzling that I say I lean to the left, given how radically I oppose things like affirmative action, censorship or even the mandating of speech as in Canada.

Back when I started to get interested in politics, being on left meant you thought government programs to help promote a more level playing field were justified. Today, it seems as if all these people care about is responding with coercive powers to a dubious social theory of groups against groups, of course without bothering about those pesky things we call facts.

I think the problem here is that your view on politics is both overly simplistic and seems to be entirely crafted from right-wing talking points, so now I understand why you ended up where you did.

Welfare programs are a single issue of left-wing politics, not the entirety of what makes one left. The identity politics stuff that you bring up plays very little role in our actual political establishment, that's mostly fringe stuff on college campuses and Twitter. Also, if you think it's just the left that are trying to censor speech, you've not really paid any attention and are very not aware of history. A final point, Canada is not "mandating" speech. Period.

I made some images a while back for another thread, maybe this will help you see more how the political landscape is actually laid out and where others are using these same metrics.

howitworks.jpg

howitworks2.jpg

A final point, Canada is not "mandating" speech. Period.

Bill C16 was passed. It legally mandates the use of any pronoun someone may demand when referring to them in a conversation. If someone asks me to refer to them as whatever they like and I refuse, they can lodge a legal complaint against me. There are so-called human rights tribunals that deal with these issues throughout the country and they will tell me I have to use the pronouns that are imposed on me by other people, irrespective of the reasons behind those demands or of my reasons to object to those demands. They might even impose a fine on me if I refuse. Regardless, any choice on my part not to comply can be considered to be contemptuous of the court which is a criminal offense. In other words, some speech is mandated: you have to say it or you might pay a hefty price for your lack of compliance. It is also the case in Quebec that law 101 forces shop owners to advertise in French. This applies to brand name and product names. If you include more than one language, which you may, you must make the French inscriptions bigger. If you have an Italian restaurant and you were going for a theme, too bad. You have to clutter the menu. Here, Second Cup is called "Les cafés Second Cup," because the brand name violates the law.

Some speech is mandatory in Canada. Who do you think you're talking with? I live in Canada.

Welfare programs are a single issue of left-wing politics, not the entirety of what makes one left. The identity politics stuff that you bring up plays very little role in our actual political establishment, that's mostly fringe stuff on college campuses and Twitter.

What do you think is Bill C16? What do you think are affirmative action policies? What did you think Black Lives Matter was? What did you think Me Too eventually became? In Canada, liberals (the party) make a point of always having a cabinet with gender parity, even though women usually make up much less than half of the elected officials. When you apply for scholarships and research grants, you get special treatment if you either conduct research on First Nations or if you are a member of a First Nation. Must I remind you that all of this is funded using public money paid for by citizens? You have entire departments in universities paying six-figure income to professors in Canada whose entire career is built on playing identity politics. That is also paid for by taxpayers. There is also the continued fight for equal wages between men and women, always pushed forward under the assumption it's all about discrimination. What do you think is the conceptual environment from which this grows, pitting men and against women and complaining we have a patriarchal tyranny whereby men organized themselves to screw over women.

Also, if you think it's just the left that are trying to censor speech, you've not really paid any attention and are very not aware of history.

When I say that the left now seems to be involved in censorship, it doesn't mean people on the right have never tried that. Religious conservatives in Quebec pulled that in the period from 1945 to 1960. There was an actual list of forbidden books if my memory serves me well. And it's certainly not the left who thought videogames should be censored because they're violent in the more recent past. It is quite the irony, in fact, that the people who do the moralizing and want to drown out speech they dislike are not Christian fundamentalists, but radicals on the left.

I think the problem here is that your view on politics is both overly simplistic and seems to be entirely crafted from right-wing talking points, so now I understand why you ended up where you did.

Someone expresses an opinion and you just assume he's parroting right-wing talking points. How about you show a bit of respect to people and don't assume away their capacity to reach conclusions on their own? You know, at least until they start insulting your capacity to reason.

Actually, they do. You are in serious need of getting informed. And then there are their masses recruited on other issues - including things like these propaganda tools. Also, read what I said, "this part isn't you."

Let me apologize for the tone of my reply. Now that I read it, it does sound a bit insulting.

I have a problem with the fact you're just assuming some people either have very bad intentions or are incapable of understanding they are being manipulated. The thing is that you might be wrong, but if you insist on seeing them as either conduct a self-serving evil plot or as gullible idiots, you'll never pay enough attention to the kind of people who are the likeliest to make you realize your mistake -- that is, people with whom you disagree on a lot of issues. Maybe some people actually don't care about the exact consequences of the very policy they support and just do it to line their pockets. Maybe they even try to bend the public opinion their way. Well, then, just reply to them and confront the claims on logical and empirical grounds. Don't just tell people they are malign, gullible or ill-informed.

This is not exactly the right forum to do it, however. There are policy forums for that.

Bill C16 was passed. It legally mandates the use of any pronoun someone may demand when referring to them in a conversation. If someone asks me to refer to them as whatever they like and I refuse, they can lodge a legal complaint against me. There are so-called human rights tribunals that deal with these issues throughout the country and they will tell me I have to use the pronouns that are imposed on me by other people, irrespective of the reasons behind those demands or of my reasons to object to those demands. They might even impose a fine on me if I refuse. Regardless, any choice on my part not to comply can be considered to be contemptuous of the court which is a criminal offense. In other words, some speech is mandated: you have to say it or you might pay a hefty price for your lack of compliance. It is also the case in Quebec that law 101 forces shop owners to advertise in French. This applies to brand name and product names. If you include more than one language, which you may, you must make the French inscriptions bigger. If you have an Italian restaurant and you were going for a theme, too bad. You have to clutter the menu. Here, Second Cup is called "Les cafés Second Cup," because the brand name violates the law.

Some speech is mandatory in Canada. Who do you think you're talking with? I live in Canada.

What do you think is Bill C16? What do you think are affirmative action policies? What did you think Black Lives Matter was? What did you think Me Too eventually became? In Canada, liberals (the party) make a point of always having a cabinet with gender parity, even though women usually make up much less than half of the elected officials. When you apply for scholarships and research grants, you get special treatment if you either conduct research on First Nations or if you are a member of a First Nation. Must I remind you that all of this is funded using public money paid for by citizens? You have entire departments in universities paying six-figure income to professors in Canada whose entire career is built on playing identity politics. That is also paid for by taxpayers. There is also the continued fight for equal wages between men and women, always pushed forward under the assumption it's all about discrimination. What do you think is the conceptual environment from which this grows, pitting men and against women and complaining we have a patriarchal tyranny whereby men organized themselves to screw over women.

When I say that the left now seems to be involved in censorship, it doesn't mean people on the right have never tried that. Religious conservatives in Quebec pulled that in the period from 1945 to 1960. There was an actual list of forbidden books if my memory serves me well. And it's certainly not the left who thought videogames should be censored because they're violent in the more recent past. It is quite the irony, in fact, that the people who do the moralizing and want to drown out speech they dislike are not Christian fundamentalists, but radicals on the left.

Someone expresses an opinion and you just assume he's parroting right-wing talking points. How about you show a bit of respect to people and don't assume away their capacity to reach conclusions on their own? You know, at least until they start insulting your capacity to reason.

okay, so yeah, you're literally just a right-wing, reactionary hack, i'm done.

okay, so yeah, you're literally just a right-wing, reactionary hack, i'm done.

I am not a reactionary hack, but you most definitely are arrogant and condescending. You think you have the slightest idea of who I am or what I think, but it would be surprising because you seem more bothered to cluster people in teams, so you can best root for your own than in what people actually have to say or actually think.

some people either have very bad intentions or are incapable of understanding they are being manipulated.

Your argument is, no one is incapable of understanding they are being manipulated. That says all that needs be said. And why it's almost impossible to help people who are being manipulated by explaining it to them. They'd rather be fooled than admit it happened. They will FIGHT for their con artist, to not have to admit they were conned. Con artists know that and use them.

Your argument is, no one is incapable of understanding they are being manipulated. That says all that needs be said. And why it's almost impossible to help people who are being manipulated by explaining it to them. They'd rather be fooled than admit it happened. They will FIGHT for their con artist, to not have to admit they were conned. Con artists know that and use them.

The full quote from me is I have a problem with the fact you're just assuming some people either have very bad intentions or are incapable of understanding they are being manipulated.

It doesn't mean that no one can ever notice they are being manipulated, nor that manipulation is the only concern. I was arguing you were making the mistake of assuming precisely that other people are too dumb to know they are manipulated. I do understand that it can be hard to catch yourself in the act of fooling yourself, perhaps much harder than catching someone else trying to fool you. I also understand that people can be fooled and how hard it can be to admit to a mistake.

My problem was with people who expend more time explaining to others that they are victims of a ploy or accusing them of being ill-informed than time to explain why they think they beliefs others adopted are wrong. You do not have to elevate yourself on a higher intellectual or moral plane to engage in a fruitful discussion. You merely have to point out the reasons behind your disagreement. Whether you think me or anyone else has been manipulated and that this outrages you are unimportant factors. It would be quite the unsuccessful scam that would end up indoctrinating people into believing something that turns out to be true and, consequently, you should restrict yourself to debating the contents of beliefs. After all, the only scams worth fighting are those inculcating errors. A sufficient demonstration of an error will both bring us closer to the truth and break the spell of propaganda machines.

My message was a warning for you, as well as for others and myself. It is extremely tempting to cast people with whom you disagree as benighted and see yourself as the bearer of light that must illuminate their dark existence. It would be a surprise if either conservatives or liberals were always correct, for example, but if you systematically respond to conservatives (or any other person) using a language which suggests you have a monopoly over good information, important knowledge, and good intentions, you shield yourself from all the opinions and response that have a chance to make you see the wall before you run head first into it whenever you are in error. That is what I qualify as unwise, if not irremediably stupid in the aforementioned sense that it will be carried out without being challenged until you hit the proverbial wall.

When matters involve complicated systems, reasonable people will disagree over many aspects of a problem under consideration. Even if they disagree with you after a lengthy discussion and many reviews of the same evidence, it does not make them stupid or evil. For one thing, why are you so sure you are not the one who is horribly mistaken? After all, the person in front of you might actually feel exactly as you do and we always think we are correct when we are wrong. This is why we call them mistakes. Likewise, by what are artifice did you convince yourself you ought to be the one pushing for virtue and not unwittingly doing the exact opposite? These questions are especially difficult because you're the easiest person to fool, as Feynman put it.

Back
Top Bottom