• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Political Assassination - the American Way

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
[h=2]Donald Trump has entered a political kill zone. And the American establishment is lining up to take him out. We are talking here in virtual terms - at least thus far.[/h] Nowadays, political assassination by US powers-that-be does not necessarily involve physical liquidation of the individual deemed to be an enemy of the state. Who needs all that blood and controversy? Especially when character assassination achieves the same desired end result — that is, elimination of target from the public domain.

Now everybody knows that I am no fan of Donald Trump... REALLY, REALLY NO FAN. LOL. However, I would once more like to play a little Devil's Advocate at Debate Politics. Is it just Trump's foot in mouth disease that is causing him to lose in an historic landslide this year, or are forces lining up against him to figuratively take him out. Hillary Clinton did say a few days ago that words have meaning, and I agree. The right words can kill a political career every bit as effectively as an assassin's bullet.

So, the discussion I would like to see in this thread is..............

Is the writer of this article correct when he compares what he believes to be a character assassination of Donald Trump with the assassination of JFK?

Please read the article carefully before commenting, and feel free to either agree with it or pick it apart. Please give me a minute while I get some popcorn and beer. :mrgreen:

Article is here.

Now everybody knows that I am no fan of Donald Trump... REALLY, REALLY NO FAN. LOL. However, I would once more like to play a little Devil's Advocate at Debate Politics. Is it just Trump's foot in mouth disease that is causing him to lose in an historic landslide this year, or are forces lining up against him to figuratively take him out. Hillary Clinton did say a few days ago that words have meaning, and I agree. The right words can kill a political career every bit as effectively as an assassin's bullet.

Is the writer of this article correct when he compares what he believes to be a character assassination of Donald Trump with the assassination of JFK?

Please read the article carefully before commenting, and feel free to either agree with it or pick it apart. Please give me a minute while I get some popcorn and beer. :mrgreen:

Article is here.

Donald has been carrying out his own character assassination buy opening his mouth time after time and proving he is the south end of a north bound mule. He and others can blame it on anyone they please, only his fans buy into the excuses.

Article is here.

I got to the word "warmongering" and decided that seeing as I have no alcohol with me I shouldn't read further. I might remember it in the morning.

Well...the media is most certainly against Trump to the point of abandoning all journalistic professionalism.

Article is here.

Y'know, I think what destroys the "character assassination" defense for Trump is what William F. Buckley - the "Father of Conservatism" - said about Donald Trump in 2000, sixteen years ago:

Look for the narcissist. The most obvious target in today’s lineup is, of course, Donald Trump. When he looks at a glass, he is mesmerized by its reflection. If Donald Trump were shaped a little differently, he would compete for Miss America. But whatever the depths of self-enchantment, the demagogue has to say something. So what does Trump say? That he is a successful businessman and that that is what America needs in the Oval Office. There is some plausibility in this, though not much. The greatest deeds of American Presidents — midwifing the new republic; freeing the slaves; harnessing the energies and vision needed to win the Cold War — had little to do with a bottom line.

Buckley knew then what Trump was...and when those opposing Trump today point out that he's a narcissist and a demagogue, they're not committing character assassination - they're only pointing out what the Right already knew...and had forgotten along the way.

Donald has been carrying out his own character assassination buy opening his mouth time after time and proving he is the south end of a north bound mule. He and others can blame it on anyone they please, only his fans buy into the excuses.

Not completely he hasn't. Yeah, he's got a bad case of foot in mouth syndrome, but that doesn't mean that the other side isn't making his words out to be more than they are. For instance the claim that he's wanting 2nd Amendment supporters to outright kill Hillary is just pure garbage. Based of off of assumptions of words that don't say jack about killing her. Funnily enough whenever pro-gun advocates voice their concern over Hillary's stance on the 2nd Amendment that is worrying to them the other side demands where she (or Obama for that matter) have stated that they want to take guns away from the American people. Wanting EXACT words while completely ignoring the implications of what she (or he) is talking about.

Some things that he says is down right stupid, but you can't say there isn't some character assassination going on just because of that.

Not completely he hasn't. Yeah, he's got a bad case of foot in mouth syndrome, but that doesn't mean that the other side isn't making his words out to be more than they are. For instance the claim that he's wanting 2nd Amendment supporters to outright kill Hillary is just pure garbage. Based of off of assumptions of words that don't say jack about killing her. Funnily enough whenever pro-gun advocates voice their concern over Hillary's stance on the 2nd Amendment that is worrying to them the other side demands where she (or Obama for that matter) have stated that they want to take guns away from the American people. Wanting EXACT words while completely ignoring the implications of what she (or he) is talking about.

Some things that he says is down right stupid, but you can't say there isn't some character assassination going on just because of that.
He provides the ammunition for them to go after him, heck he would go up 5 points if he just STFU for a few days. I do not go by what anyone else says something meant, I listen to what was said and make up my own mind to his meaning. Trump is either the worst speaker of all time or he feles he can say anything and he can later claim everyone else is confused by what he meant, must be hell to work in his pr group.

Last edited:
Stop assuming that Hillary will win, much less win in a "landslide."

You are starting to believe the media hype you are discussing in the OP.

I'd like to say for the umpteenth time that people should not count their chickens before they hatch. But that goes right over the heads of those convinced they are right.

Polls have been wrong over and over, especially in this election season.

Just because the oligarchs who control the media are doing their damnedest to portray Trump as soooo negative he can't possibly win...he really hasn't lost much support.

Meanwhile the wafflers who keep swinging the polls are not really committed as of yet. Anything can happen between now and election time to swing them the other way round.

Last edited:
He provides the ammunition for them to go after him, heck he would go up 5 points if he just STFU for a few days. I do go by what anyone else says something meant, I listen to what was said and make up my own mind to his meaning. Trump is either the worst speaker of all time or he fells he can say anything and he can later claim everyone else is confused by what he meant, must be hell to work in his pr group.

LOL!!

Heck, if Trump said, "Hello", the media, the pundits and Hillary's people would find something wrong with it.

Stop assuming that Hillary will win, much less win in a "landslide."

You are starting to believe the media hype.

I'd like to say for the umpteenth time that people should not count their chickens before they hatch.

Polls have been wrong over and over, especially in this election season.

Just because the oligarchs who control the media are doing their damnedest to portray Trump as soooo negative he can't possibly win...he really hasn't lost much support.

Meanwhile the wafflers who keep swinging the polls, are not really committed as of yet. Anything can happen between now and election time.

Correct. We still haven't had a presidential debate yet.

I listened to his words in context, and strongly disagree.

He alluded to knocking-her-off in that overtly sarcastic manner that conveys the meaning and intent, but later gives him an out. Some people may be buying (or selling) his bull****, but I for one am not, and neither does the media it seems - good for them!

He alluded to knocking-her-off in that overtly sarcastic manner that conveys the meaning and intent, but later gives him an out. Some people may be buying (or selling) his bull****, but I for one am not, and neither does the media it seems - good for them!

If there's one thing that Trump does well, it's that he creates enough doubt in what he says for people to spin what he's saying.

Correct. We still haven't had a presidential debate yet.

Mrs. Clinton should refuse to debate him, don't give him any power, debates only help the underdog although I'm looking forward to the debates.

Mrs. Clinton should refuse to debate him, don't give him any power, debates only help the underdog although I'm looking forward to the debates.

Really? If she she's afraid to face and handle Trump in a debate, why should anyone think she can handle real problems of national and international politics effectively?

No, I don't agree. If Hillary Clinton refused to debate Donald Trump, then that would just make her look bad.

No, I don't agree. If Hillary Clinton refused to debate Donald Trump, then that would just make her look bad.

I agree, it would be pretty hard to pull it off, you'd have to debate with the Green and Libertarian Candidates using Johnson as a staged Trump.

Did you listen to his words in context as he was saying them? Or did you hear about the words from other people claiming that he was calling for her death and then listen to his words? And did you listen to them without any expectations? If you answered "no" to the first and "yes" to the second then I'd say that you were influenced. More often than not people are influenced by what they hear than they realize.

Article is here.

No. It may be hard for us coming from a society as we do that deeply advocates boys being girls, if only their faith is deep and honest or that men and women are so equal that marriage between two boys is the same as between girl and boy.
Nope. There is a definite difference between make believe and the real thing. Political assassination is as different from assassination as slander is from murder. It is the difference between something being literally true vs figuratively so. And as we saw yesterday with the brouhaha about Trump saying that Obama was a founder of ISIS, our society has a problem differentiating in this respect.

Did you listen to his words in context as he was saying them? Or did you hear about the words from other people claiming that he was calling for her death and then listen to his words? And did you listen to them without any expectations? If you answered "no" to the first and "yes" to the second then I'd say that you were influenced. More often than not people are influenced by what they hear than they realize.
Perhaps.

Or perhaps my opinion differs from yours?

But point taken and appreciated.

Article is here.

Are forces allied against him? Yes, absolutely.

And it is one of the very few cases of politicians showing some kind of moral compass and deciding to work together for the common good.

If you'll notice, the vast majority of the attacks on Trump have to do with truly meaningful aspects of protecting the interests of America. The fact that he encourages violence and courts conflict, the fact that he would likely either create disastrous foreign policy or the military would simply refuse to obey him, the fact that he is ignorant of everything related to government, his insane fiscal ideas, his blatantly anti-constitutional ideas, etc, etc, etc. They're being really substantive about it. Apart from some stupid jockeying in the primary, the criticism of Trump is largely grounded in stuff that's actually important, from both parties.

I see politicians, for once in their godforsaken lives, being genuinely interested in preserving America's fundamental well-being. Even when it involves slitting their own throats, as it has for some Republicans.

It's not as though we're all just learning now that Trump is an ignorant narcissist. Everyone's known that for decades. His history of saying and doing messed up things goes back much further than this election cycle.

I am still terminally jaded when it comes to our politicians, but actually, seeing the way they're talking about Trump has given me a small glimmer of hope that they're not all completely empty shells. Just mostly. But if it's critical enough, important enough, dangerous enough, they bring out their little sliver of humanity to play.

I listened to what he said, and I didn't like it either! He became a low hanging fruit by his own words.

He knew beforehand that the left would be orgasmic over his 2nd amendment crowd reference...............but the man cannot help himself.

Back
Top Bottom