• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Political affiliation and smoking

Which of these choices do you most closely resemble?

• Democrat/liberal, college degree and higher, and smoker

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Democrat/liberal, college degree and higher, and nonsmoker

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Democrat/liberal, no college degree, and smoker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Democrat/liberal, no college degree, and nonsmoker

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Republican/conservative, college degree and higher, and smoker

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Republican/conservative, college degree and higher, and nonsmoker

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Republican/conservative, no college degree, and smoker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Republican/conservative, no college degree, and nonsmoker

Votes: 6 24.0%

• Total voters
TurtleDude said:
this is a false assumption

high school dropouts tend to be dem even though in the last election, Kerry lead only 51-49% which was the smallest gap in recent memory

Some college or college degree-tend to be GOP

PHD's tend to be dems but MD's-the most demanding academic field are strongly GOP

it has nothing to do with education and USA today noted in December of 03 that the more education and wealth a MAN obtains the more likely he is to be a GOP voter but the real reason is still economic. People with PHD's don't tend to be all that rich since most end up teaching and dependent on public grants and rarely have to make a payroll or deal with government red tape. college grads or some college make up the bulk of small business owners and favor GOP politics as to Doctors.

I will attempt to find articles regarding this issue. I did not say that everyone with an education is a democrat--I said that they say that the more educated people are, the more they tend to be a democrat. I remember when I read the article, it made me think of my own college. I just went to my college reunion and saw approximately 50 friends. We went to a very good college and almost all of them have either a J.D., Ph.D., M.D. or a Masters Degree. Only two of them are republicans. And every one of those who are M.D.'s, which was maybe 5 or 6, are democrats.

By the way, my internist is a democrat. ;)

aps said:
Okay, I just want to test a theory I have.

They say that the more educated someone is, the more they tend to be a democrat/liberal.
They also say that the more educated somone is, the less likely they will smoke.

Would you please share with me what political party you most closely resemble and whether you smoke.

:smoking:

Thank you.

They, who the hell is this they you're speaking of? The fact of the matter is the more educated and well off that you are the more likely you are to be a Conservative.

The Real McCoy said:
Please explain.

I don't want to make a big deal out of this, just that intellect helps form better opinions. I came from a republican household, but through numerous books, and yes, one of those dreaded liberal colleges, I realized the liberal philosophy more closely resembles my own. Thus, I believe my opinions were based on education and intellect rather than just opinion.

I don't believe strong, valid opinions can be disassociated from intellect.

The problem is, many allow their own prejudices to get in the way of intellect, making their own opinions just that...opinions with no substance.

LOL, what a silly poll, for a liberal to even begin to suggest that their intelligence is so much greater than those of conservatives......it really does prove a point, liberals are arrogant fools, well most are.

I would like to see a poll of how many liberals are on this forum during the weekend, and not out having fun, you might actually find some truth in a poll like that. I bet they are a large majority here on the weekends, not that they are ugly people, or don't like to have as much fun as the next guy, but are arrogant fools, and no one likes to be around them, not to mention how depressing they seem. I just thought I would add that bit of foolishness to the mix.....I mean while we are being foolish.;)

Hoot said:
I don't want to make a big deal out of this, just that intellect helps form better opinions. I came from a republican household, but through numerous books, and yes, one of those dreaded liberal colleges, I realized the liberal philosophy more closely resembles my own. Thus, I believe my opinions were based on education and intellect rather than just opinion.

I don't believe strong, valid opinions can be disassociated from intellect.

The problem is, many allow their own prejudices to get in the way of intellect, making their own opinions just that...opinions with no substance.

I may be wrong in assuming this, and correct me if I am, but it seems to me like you're saying "The more education someone recieves, the more they realize liberalism is the right answer."

I just feel that some opinions cannot be swayed, no matter how much education someone recieves. Like I said before: There's geniuses on both ends of the political spectrum.

The Real McCoy said:
I may be wrong in assuming this, and correct me if I am, but it seems to me like you're saying "The more education someone recieves, the more they realize liberalism is the right answer."

I just feel that some opinions cannot be swayed, no matter how much education someone recieves. Like I said before: There's geniuses on both ends of the political spectrum.

I can't disagree with anything you said. This isn't really a conservative/liberal issue, since we do not have a conservative president in office at the moment.

And you're right, some opinions will never be swayed...both on the right and the left. Some put party loyalty above common sense, and many place party loyalty above what is truely good for our nation.

Hoot said:
I can't disagree with anything you said. This isn't really a conservative/liberal issue, since we do not have a conservative president in office at the moment.

I agree with that.

Last edited:
Deegan said:
LOL, what a silly poll, for a liberal to even begin to suggest that their intelligence is so much greater than those of conservatives......it really does prove a point, liberals are arrogant fools, well most are.

I would like to see a poll of how many liberals are on this forum during the weekend, and not out having fun, you might actually find some truth in a poll like that. I bet they are a large majority here on the weekends, not that they are ugly people, or don't like to have as much fun as the next guy, but are arrogant fools, and no one likes to be around them, not to mention how depressing they seem. I just thought I would add that bit of foolishness to the mix.....I mean while we are being foolish.;)

Awww, Deegan, guess I hit too close to home, huh? LOL

The Real McCoy said:

That's not what I was saying. I think the more education some receives, the more open-minded they are. That's not to say that it means that liberalism is the right answer. I find it rather interesting that the top schools in our country tend to lean left--Harvard, Stanford, Yale, Dartmouth, MIT, etc. Conservatives call liberal-leaning schools biased. Huh? There's a left-wing conspiracy to not allow conservatives to teach at top-notch colleges? I don't buy that for a second. I think certain professions are more appealing to a political affiliation. For example, my husband does environmental enforcement for the Dept. of Justice. I believe that everyone he works with (or at least 99.9%) is a democrat. Why is that? Why are democrats more concerned about environmental issues than republicans?

Anyway, check out these websites, particularly the first one.

http://www.studentsforacademicfreedom.org/reports/lackdiversity.html

http://usconservatives.about.com/b/a/129991.htm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A8427-2005Mar28.html

What I think is rather pathetic is those who are blaming the overwhelming # of democratic professors on there being a left-wing bias. :roll:

aps, my post wasn't directed at you, it was toward Hoot.

(sorry for the double post)

Last edited:
aps said:
Awww, Deegan, guess I hit too close to home, huh? LOL

Yes it did, I am a conservative, and you, you are obviously one of the ignorant, arrogant liberals I was referring to. You assume too much, and now you look the fool, don't try and turn it around on me, face up to your ridiculous assumptions. You said, "they say, the more educated someone is, the more likely they are to be a democrat, or liberal", who are "they"? I'll tell you, they are fools I was just describing, and now we can add you to that ilk, congrats.;)

aps said:
That's not what I was saying. I think the more education some receives, the more open-minded they are. That's not to say that it means that liberalism is the right answer. I find it rather interesting that the top schools in our country tend to lean left--Harvard, Stanford, Yale, Dartmouth, MIT, etc. Conservatives call liberal-leaning schools biased. Huh? There's a left-wing conspiracy to not allow conservatives to teach at top-notch colleges? I don't buy that for a second. I think certain professions are more appealing to a political affiliation. For example, my husband does environmental enforcement for the Dept. of Justice. I believe that everyone he works with (or at least 99.9%) is a democrat. Why is that? Why are democrats more concerned about environmental issues than republicans?

Anyway, check out these websites, particularly the first one.

http://www.studentsforacademicfreedom.org/reports/lackdiversity.html

http://usconservatives.about.com/b/a/129991.htm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A8427-2005Mar28.html

What I think is rather pathetic is those who are blaming the overwhelming # of democratic professors on there being a left-wing bias. :roll:

Those who can, do, those who can't, teach!

This is your answer, conservatives go out and make the money, and become successful in their professions, and liberals hide in the classroom, for the fear of failure. It's easy to tell someone how to do something, quite a different thing to go out there and scratch and claw your way to the top, but there is a place for everyone.

The Real McCoy said:
aps, my post wasn't directed at you, it was toward Hoot.

Oops. Hee hee hee :)

Deegan said:
Yes it did, I am a conservative, and you, you are obviously one of the ignorant, arrogant liberals I was referring to. You assume too much, and now you look the fool, don't try and turn it around on me, face up to your ridiculous assumptions.

I am facing up to my assumptions. I have no problem with you attacking my assumptions. I look like a fool? Okay. :cool:

You said, "they say, the more educated someone is, the more likely they are to be a democrat, or liberal", who are "they"? I'll tell you, they are fools I was just describing, and now we can add you to that ilk, congrats.;)

Yikes! I am surprised you're taking it so personally. If you said the opposite was true, I wouldn't have a problem with it. When I said "they," I meant a multitude of articles I have read. My poll was just an innocent poll. If my assumptions are wrong, they are wrong.

Deegan said:

This is your answer, conservatives go out and make the money, and become successful in their professions, and liberals hide in the classroom, for the fear of failure. It's easy to tell someone how to do something, quite a different thing to go out there and scratch and claw your way to the top, but there is a place for everyone.

That's an interesting thought. To assume that those who want to each are fearful of failure is funny to me, though.

aps said:
That's an interesting thought. To assume that those who want to each are fearful of failure is funny to me, though.

Not all of course, but a large majority of liberals that just enjoy the sound of their own voice, they are the frightened ones. They also crave control, they want to program these students in to thinking as they do, as to not feel as alone in their foolishness. It's one thing to want to share knowledge, it's quite another to use that intelligence to play mind games with others, it's a sad life indeed. I had teachers like this, and they made me sick to my stomach, I now belong to groups that want to expose these irresponsible people, so to protect other young people from their indoctrination.

Deegan said:

Deegan, you started with a valid point and then here you throw it right back in the garbage.

Liberals are hiding in classrooms because they're afraid to be businesspeople? Give me a break - you can't really believe that. Who exactly is going to teach our children if all anyone cares about is monetary success and "clawing their way to the top?" Some people just don't care about money all that much - **gasp** It's true, it's true! They'd rather pursue other things that give their life meaning. And they shouldn't be belittled for it. The world would be a much less interesting place without them.

Back
Top Bottom