• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Polish Culture Centre defaced in London

What do people have against Polish people? I don't relate to the actions at all. I have no reason to dislike the Polish, so this is deeply confusing to me. Is it just anti-immigration sentiment? Is it anti-multicultural sentiment? Are Polish people ostracized in England?

Poles have entered the UK in the aftermath of the fall of the Berlin Wall and the entry of Poland into the EU. The EU brought about "free movement of labour" principles which meant hard working Poles could enter and work very often for much less than their British counterparts so wages have been depressed and communities have been affected by large numbers of Poles.

What has happened is those Poles work and pay taxes and those taxes have not been used to develop greater resources for the areas the Poles have settled in so there has been a lot of anger and resentment.

Hence "Brexit." Some people have proposed the EU result was about left vs right or about UK sovereignty or the return of "Rule Britannia" but the base reason was the anger of poor white communities where Poles have settled in large numbers and have been doing work for low wages. Some will say that they have undercut the British workers and others will say they do the work the UK workers won't do.

What do people have against Polish people? I don't relate to the actions at all. I have no reason to dislike the Polish, so this is deeply confusing to me. Is it just anti-immigration sentiment? Is it anti-multicultural sentiment? Are Polish people ostracized in England?

In the UK there was a large in pour of Poles after their entry into the EU. This was great at the time as the economy boomed along. When the recession came the foreigners lost their jobs first and went onto unemployment or competed with less well educated labor for jobs. The social programs were overtaxed and some reduced benefits. In both cases the lower quantiles of the voters were hurt. There is a very rational reason for that part of the community to be against immigration. That is not to say that immigration isn't good for society as a whole. But one can understand the lower class attitude towards it right now.

One guy spray paints "Go Home" and you typically draw a massive political conclusion from it. Oh the horror. Don't worry, it is safe to come out from under your bed now.

Yankee Go Home!
For a while you could read that slogan on almost every latrine wall.

They are not British, and they have been at the for front of the anti-EU migration debate, along with Romanians and Bulgarians. Poles are easier to hit, so to say, because there is historically a large Polish population in the UK.

Sad part is, that the Poles were among the key, if not THE key part of wining the Battle of Britain in WW2...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._303_Polish_Fighter_Squadron

Highest kill ratio of all RAF squadrons..

One guy spray paints "Go Home" and you typically draw a massive political conclusion from it. Oh the horror. Don't worry, it is safe to come out from under your bed now.

It wont be the last and it actually aint the first time as far as I know. Point is, these idiots have been embolden by the vote.. it basically justifies their whole world view.

Calling the xenophobic reactions that border onto and often move into hate rational is about the most stupid "rationale" of the day, possibly the rest of the month.

Last edited:
It wont be the last and it actually aint the first time as far as I know. Point is, these idiots have been embolden by the vote.. it basically justifies their whole world view.

No, the one trying to fit events into his particular world view is you. This is a non story you are trying to turn into the crime of the century.

No, the one trying to fit events into his particular world view is you. This is a non story you are trying to turn into the crime of the century.

LOL crime of the century?

This event.. is because of the referendum.. and you are the one trying to make this a non story. It is a story.

Let me ask you... is it a non story that a mosque is defaced after a terrorist attack? Or a Sikh is beaten to death after 9/11? A non story, or a symptom of a growing ignorance and intolerance?

They are not British, and they have been at the for front of the anti-EU migration debate, along with Romanians and Bulgarians. Poles are easier to hit, so to say, because there is historically a large Polish population in the UK.

Sad part is, that the Poles were among the key, if not THE key part of wining the Battle of Britain in WW2...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._303_Polish_Fighter_Squadron

Highest kill ratio of all RAF squadrons..

Hence the Polish War Memorial just outside RAF Northolt.

Hence the Polish War Memorial just outside RAF Northolt.

You see how Britain First used a picture of the Czech squadron in a twitter post saying these heroes fought for a free Britain.. vote to leave. ?

Yeah right. Most likely anti-Brexit provocateurs. :roll:
It would be reallly nice if you stayed out of fields of discussion that you have absolutely no clue about.

There's enough ignorance currently rampaging thruout Europe (generally) and Britian (specifically) already, no imports needed. :roll:

So why not confine yourself to inanity sub-forums dealing with your side of the pond.

This event.. is because of the referendum..
You know this how? Have they captured this monster and beaten a confession from him? Or are you just trying to fit the events of the day into your world view...

It would be reallly nice if you stayed out of fields of discussion that you have absolutely no clue about.

There's enough ignorance currently rampaging thruout Europe (generally) and Britian (specifically) already, no imports needed. :roll:

So why not confine yourself to inanity sub-forums dealing with your side of the pond.
Perhaps you might heed your own advice.

It's about Polish migrant workers, and due to their circumstance their penchant for working hard & long hours for low pay (due to their often lacking the language and professional level skills upon entry).

My father & grandfather came from Poland (to the States) where we sometimes suffered the same belittlement here in the states in the 60's & 70's. The flip-side is that many employers felt the Polish workers were very good and honest workers, and once the cultural and language differences became understood Poles often became seen as prized co-employees and neighbors.

Sure. And you'll so the same? Yeah, didn't think so.

Sooo, hate crimes are never faked in the U.K.?

Perhaps you might heed your own advice.
I do, rarely venturing into topics specific to the US. Even where, having lived there, I'm more conversant with them than many Europeans.

In this context the fact that you're not in Europe isn't the issue though. Just like it's perfectly ok I'd think for someone from Canada posting in another thread on a European topic.

As I said already, it's adding from abroad to the ignorance that Europe is already rife with.

The comment initiating this little exchange is just plain dumb.

Anti-Polish cards in Huntingdon after EU referendum.

_90098983_untitled-1.jpg

Cards containing the words "No more Polish Vermin" have been distributed outside homes and schools following the EU referendum.
Kathleen Gaynor said her mother found the cards, which also say "Leave the EU", outside her home in Huntingdon.

BBC

Seems a strange one - why leave the EU? Someone trying to tarnish Brexit folks?

Back
Top Bottom