• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Policy idea to fight China IP theft

laska

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Figure up total amount of theft plus penalties and deduct from the U.S. debt China holds. Is this a good idea, bad idea, total fantasy land? I think Huntsman has mentioned not allowing Chinese goods access the the U.S. market as leverage but that hurts U.S. consumers. I am naive and ignorant in this realm so this may be totally stupid but that seems fair to me.

Figure up total amount of theft plus penalties and deduct from the U.S. debt China holds. Is this a good idea, bad idea, total fantasy land? I think Huntsman has mentioned not allowing Chinese goods access the the U.S. market as leverage but that hurts U.S. consumers. I am naive and ignorant in this realm so this may be totally stupid but that seems fair to me.

How about this policy:

If you don't like their IP theft, don't buy their products, especially not the blatant copies. Apparently most Americans don't care, because we all continue to buy the stuff anyway. They do it because we want them to. Why should I pay an American company $500 for a tiny circuit board that cost $2 to produce when I can get it for $3 online?

The market has spoken.

I case you haven't realised, most things are made in china now, right now I am using a laptop that was made in china for example. China produces the majority of goods for the west and not allowing Chinese goods access the US market, is not only an act of protectionism (which is not republican) but also raises the prices for goods.

How Much Would the iPad 2 Cost If It Were Made in the U.S.? About $1,140 - Derek Thompson - The Atlantic

Apple has contracted to make its iPad 2s in China, where the typical worker makes a hardy $185 a week. What if, in a fever of uneconomic patriotism, Apple chose to make its iPads in the U.S.? Assuming typical U.S. manufacturers worked at the same speed as the Chinese, and assuming Apple raised the price to maintain its profit margin, the iPad 2 would cost more than $1,100.

I case you haven't realised, most things are made in china now, right now I am using a laptop that was made in china for example. China produces the majority of goods for the west and not allowing Chinese goods access the US market, is not only an act of protectionism (which is not republican) but also raises the prices for goods.

How Much Would the iPad 2 Cost If It Were Made in the U.S.? About $1,140 - Derek Thompson - The Atlantic

Of course I realize it, I stated I am against Huntsman's idea of protectionism.

Also I support free trade and have no problem with where a product is made. I want the cheapest producer. Apple manufacturing ipad2 in China is not IP theft.

Of course I realize it, I stated I am against Huntsman's idea of protectionism.

You did not state that you were against it, you stated that It would hurt US consumers. It may be what you were trying to imply, but it wasn't clear.

Back
Top Bottom