• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Police union: Clinton snubbed us

JANFU

Land by the Gulf Stream
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Police union: Clinton snubbed us | TheHill

He and other leaders of the police union — which says it represents 335,000 members — visited with Trump on Friday morning to sound out the Republican nominee about his positions on issues of importance to law enforcement officers. Politico first reported the meeting.

The union will not be meeting with Clinton because her campaign decided not to fill out a questionnaire that is required for seeking the police union's endorsement.

"We were talking to the highest levels of the campaign, and we had all indications that she was going to return the questionnaire," Canterbury said.

"And on the deadline date we were advised that they declined."
Dumb move??

She doesn't need them, and they're talking to Trump anyway.

I'm just hoping Gov. Johnson doesn't seek an endorsement from those scumbags.

I would like to see the police union questionnaire first before passing judgement.

Bwahahaha! The only thing not to like about it would be that it asks for responses in writing. No wiggle room.

I would like to see the police union questionnaire first before passing judgement.

Rest assured that Hillary would have to dump on BLM to get that union's support.

Last edited:
"Hillary didn't fill out our paperwork! She's snubbing us!"

Surely a group of police officers has the investigative skills to determine where Hillary stands on various issues of concern.

Bwahahaha! The only thing not to like about it would be that it asks for responses in writing. No wiggle room.
Could be lots of things not to like about this union's questionnaire. Do you see many Republicans seeking labor union endorsements other than police unions? Let's see the questionnaire first.

"Hillary didn't fill out our paperwork! She's snubbing us!"

Surely a group of police officers has the investigative skills to determine where Hillary stands on various issues of concern.

Obama seemed to have had the time to answer their questionnaire. :shrug: and Hillary's staff apparently assured them previously that it would be filled out. Then on the due date it was declined. I'd call that snubbing.

Could be lots of things not to like about this union's questionnaire. Do you see many Republicans seeking labor union endorsements other than police unions? Let's see the questionnaire first.

Look to post 8. Second link. I think the questions are reasonable if I were to look at it from the PoV of a cop. :shrug:

The lower link in post number 8 takes you to the questionnaire.

I don't know how dumb it is but I bet it means lots of Republicans suddenly approve of a public-service union.

Yep- from the article

Police union: Clinton snubbed us | TheHill

The last time the Fraternal Order of Police endorsed a Democrat for president was Bill Clinton in 1996, Canterbury said. In 2000 and 2004, the union endorsed George W. Bush, and in 2008 it supported John McCain. In 2012, the union endorsed neither Obama nor Mitt Romney because neither could command a two-thirds majority of states, he said.

Found this and Obama response as well. Yes it is old.
https://www.fop.net/legislative/president08/ObamaQA.pdf

Got it - The one submitted to rump would be the same submitted to Clinton

http://www.coloradofop.org/Donald Trump Questionairre - 2016.pdf
Assuming that the "Criminal Justice Issues" questions remain roughly the same as in 2008, I would see not reason why Clinton would object to filling out that questionnaire. The FOP endorsed McCain in 2008 but didn't endorse Obama or Romney in 2012.

At this point I would like to know if the questionnaire changed. If not, I think not submitting one would be a mistake for some of the swing states. However, Clinton may also think that a "law and order" president nominee will probably get the FOP endorsement anyway and only sees a downside to participate in a futile process. She may get heat from progressives for even trying, and she doesn't need to anger those folks more than she already has.

Thanks for the link.

Obama seemed to have had the time to answer their questionnaire. :shrug: and Hillary's staff apparently assured them previously that it would be filled out. Then on the due date it was declined. I'd call that snubbing.

Look to post 8. Second link. I think the questions are reasonable if I were to look at it from the PoV of a cop. :shrug:

Some slanted questions there.

Assuming that the "Criminal Justice Issues" questions remain roughly the same as in 2008, I would see not reason why Clinton would object to filling out that questionnaire. The FOP endorsed McCain in 2008 but didn't endorse Obama or Romney in 2012.

At this point I would like to know if the questionnaire changed. If not, I think not submitting one would be a mistake for some of the swing states. However, Clinton may also think that a "law and order" president nominee will probably get the FOP endorsement anyway and only sees a downside to participate in a futile process. She may get heat from progressives for even trying, and she doesn't need to anger those folks more than she already has.

Thanks for the link.
The links I had were for Obama's, and the other was what was submitted to Trump, which would be identical to the one submitted to HRC. I did not go thru them ( Obama's - Trumps ) to see if there were any substantive change.

Found this and Obama response as well. Yes it is old.
https://www.fop.net/legislative/president08/ObamaQA.pdf

Got it - The one submitted to Trump would be the same submitted to Clinton

http://www.coloradofop.org/Donald Trump Questionairre - 2016.pdf
Thank you for the second link. As I suspected, the "Criminal Justice Issues" section is considerably different from that given to Obama years before. I wording omits "Black Lives Matter" but it certainly seems targeted to them. For Clinton, or any Democrat right now, that looks like a poison pill. Clinton was wise not to return that questionnaire.

Here's an excerpt:

Law enforcement is facing a high level of hostility from the communities we protect and
serve. Hateful rhetoric and those calling for violence are having an impact–ambush attacks
on law enforcement and police shootings have spiked tremendously in the past few years.
Fringe organizations have been given a platform by the media to convey the message that
police officers are a “militarized” enemy and it is time to attack that enemy. Social media
accounts are full of hatred and calls to target and kill police officers. The vitriol, the hateful
screeds and statements of those we are sworn to protect and defend, as well as public calls to
kill and injure police officers, are horrifying. There is a very real and very deliberate
campaign to terrorize our nation’s law enforcement officers and no one has come to our
defense. How will you and your Administration demonstrate support and commitment to our
nation’s law enforcement officers?

Last edited:
Wow. I am major impressed with the Donalds's responses. He is far more state's right oriented than I gave him credit for.

Where are Trumps responses?

Thank you for the second link. As I suspected, the "Criminal Justice Issues" section is considerably different from that given to Obama years before. I wording omits "Black Lives Matter" but it certainly seems targeted to them. For Clinton, or any Democrat right now, that looks like a poison pill. Clinton was wise not to return that questionnaire.
To be honest I do not know. I thought it would be good to debate though.

If Hillary responds by emailing her answers to the union we will all get to see it. :2razz:

Back
Top Bottom