• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Police State: Brought to you by TSA

Although I have, on a few occasions, worn my Fourth Amendment t-shirt, I generally just try to blend in with the crowd and answer with a grunt if a response is required. Today as I went through airport security at a major U.S. hub, the initial "papers please" TSA agent who checks boarding passes against identification would not take silence as an answer.

Probably in his sixties, very chatty, and wearing a Marine Corps pin. "Thanks," he says cheerfully.
I just give him a blank stare as I wait for him to check my papers.
He puts down my papers and looks up at me. "Thanks," he says again and waits for a response.
"Thanks for what?" I query.
"Thanks for coming to the airport. Thanks for flying. Thanks for choosing this line."
I hesitate for a moment, trying to decide how best to respond. "Thanks for treating me like a criminal," I finally respond.
"A criminal? Does this look like you're a criminal," he asks?
"I am guilty of the crime of wanting to fly on a commercial plane," I tell him. Out of the corner of my eye I can see other passengers waiting in line shift awkwardly.
"You're gonna make me start taking my meds again!" I assume he's making some sort of joke and others in line nervously chuckle.
"I figured with a Marine pin you'd know all about the Constitution but apparently I am mistaken."
He hands me my papers without a word and I continue on towards the body scanners. As I'm walking away he says something unintelligible and more passengers laugh. I turn back to the passengers in line and say, "I'm sorry the Fourth Amendment is a joke to you." Nobody says a word, but as I continue on to the body scanners I can hear one woman behind me gush, "We joined this line because you're so nice!"

Well lady, you may not possess the freedoms you think you do but at least your jailers are "nice".

I see where your going, but I think you may have the wrong approach.

TSA was an organization made to screen threats from entering into or accessing the airlines. It certainly may be used to do other things like screen people unfairly but I don't think you should blme the people for it. Likely, they haven't done what TSA in general may be accused of. If they did, they were probably told to do so without even really knowing what they were doing. They are just workers doing a job and doing as they are told. If you have a job you have probably been made to do as you are told counter to what you thought was right also. The general policy is one handed down from the government. Unless that guy personally did something to you or you have proof that he did something like that to someone else, it's kinda bad to approach him like that. It makes the statement you are trying to make implausible and undermines your greater effort.

A thing you will learn at this site...whatever the nature of the person you are confronting, have your proof ready before making an accusation.

Best regards, mate.

The TSA was created as a direct result of the events on 9/11. Every published study I am aware of before and after the advent of the TSA has shown 1) the ease with which determined and capable individuals can bypass security measures and 2) the complete reactionary nature of these organizations.

The entire TSA purpose is a farce. The fact is, the only reason for its existence is to make people feel better (and depending on your opinion, to desensitize citizens to an increasingly intrusive police state).

makmugens said:
They are just workers doing a job and doing as they are told.

This line was used as an attempted defense for many of the German soldiers working at concentration camps during WWII. I might add that this defense was not a successful one. Every civilized person on the face of the earth ought to have the common sense and decency to realize that some duties and orders go well beyond what is right. This is why every soldier has the authority to refuse orders when they exceed the boundaries of human rights.

makmugens said:
Unless that guy personally did something to you or you have proof that he did something like that to someone else, it's kinda bad to approach him like that.

Every person who works for the TSA (and similar agencies) undermines the freedoms of all Americans. Defending these people because "it is only their job" is just as morally reprehensible as those pulling the proverbial trigger.

The undeniable fact is, every single person who chooses to travel by commercial air is subject to suspicionless and warrantless searches which are explicitly prohibited by the Constitution.

I'm more concerned about safety than "invasion of my privacy" and since I have nothing to hide, I couldn't care less about being searched. This is simply part of flying commercially in the post 9/11 world. Is what it is. I have a very hard time understanding why people are so offended by the TSA when they are doing nothing but helping to assure the safety of our citizens on commercial flights.

Back
Top Bottom