• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Police Shoot Dog, gunshots caught on graphic video (NSFW)

Peter King

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
A video of police shooting a dog to death in front of its owner has gone viral after being posted to Reddit Monday afternoon.

The dog owner, Leon Rosby, was taking video of police officers in Hawthorne, Calif. as they barricaded a house, CBS reports.

Another bystander behind Rosby was recording him, and can be heard saying that Rosby asked the police why there weren't any black cops present. This drew the attention of two Hawthorne police officers, who started to approach Rosby.

Rosby can then be seen putting his dog, which looks like a Rottweiler, into his car and voluntarily putting his hands behind his back to be arrested. As he was being handcuffed by the officers, the dog started barking and jumped out of the car.

As the dog approached the officers, barking, the police shot the dog several times. Police said they had no choice but to shoot as the dog lunged towards them.

Police Shoot Dog, Gunshots Caught On Graphic Video (NSFW, UPDATES)

I am confused, the man posed no threat to the officers, he only filmed them and made a comment from a considerable distance, was not interfering with the crime-scene or the duties of the officers and yet he was arrested and put into handcuffs.

Then they start (from what it appears) manhandling the arrested man (searching pockets I think but pretty heavy handed for someone who poses no threat and has cooperated with the arrest) which leads to his dog jumping out of the car in defense of it's owner and then they shoot the dog.

Now the dog might have been a threat, but if they had just sent the man on his way with a warning, not cuffed and manhandled him the dog would not have come to his defense and this would not have been necessary. More bad press for the police and it is for the biggest part all their own fault for handing this situation way too aggressively when this was not called for.

A video of police shooting a dog to death in front of its owner has gone viral after being posted to Reddit Monday afternoon.

The dog owner, Leon Rosby, was taking video of police officers in Hawthorne, Calif. as they barricaded a house, CBS reports.

Another bystander behind Rosby was recording him, and can be heard saying that Rosby asked the police why there weren't any black cops present. This drew the attention of two Hawthorne police officers, who started to approach Rosby.

Rosby can then be seen putting his dog, which looks like a Rottweiler, into his car and voluntarily putting his hands behind his back to be arrested. As he was being handcuffed by the officers, the dog started barking and jumped out of the car.

As the dog approached the officers, barking, the police shot the dog several times. Police said they had no choice but to shoot as the dog lunged towards them.

Police Shoot Dog, Gunshots Caught On Graphic Video (NSFW, UPDATES)

I am confused, the man posed no threat to the officers, he only filmed them and made a comment from a considerable distance, was not interfering with the crime-scene or the duties of the officers and yet he was arrested and put into handcuffs.

Then they start (from what it appears) manhandling the arrested man (searching pockets I think but pretty heavy handed for someone who poses no threat and has cooperated with the arrest) which leads to his dog jumping out of the car in defense of it's owner and then they shoot the dog.

Now the dog might have been a threat, but if they had just sent the man on his way with a warning, not cuffed and manhandled him the dog would not have come to his defense and this would not have been necessary. More bad press for the police and it is for the biggest part all their own fault for handing this situation way too aggressively when this was not called for.

Saw the video last night.

Not sure why he was arrested... but

The dog was lunging at them and was obviously a threat. I'd shoot a dog that was trying to attack me, too. Especially a rotweiler.

Whoa... That's really bad. First, harassing somebody who didn't do anything, then shooting a dog that wasn't being aggressive. It's pretty obvious in the video that the dog isn't acting aggressive or any way, he just runs up to his owner because he's being man-handled by pieces of ****.

Completely unreasonable action. However, there are almost countless videos of police shooting dogs just for the joy of killing something. The dog was doing nothing other sniffing the ground. I have little doubt if 3 doors down someone shot a dog in their yard multiple times those same officers would have arrested that person, if not have taken the opportunity to kill that person.

As for the arrest/cuffing, I think they made the man's point if he had asked why are their no black officers. There was no basis whatsoever to cuff the man. Zero.

As the dog approached the officers, barking, the police shot the dog several times. Police said they had no choice but to shoot as the dog lunged towards them

Ignoring the debate over the arrest, this sounds rather reasonable.

Whoa... That's really bad. First, harassing somebody who didn't do anything, then shooting a dog that wasn't being aggressive. It's pretty obvious in the video that the dog isn't acting aggressive or any way, he just runs up to his owner because he's being man-handled by pieces of ****.

how was the dog not being aggressive?

You don't need the NSFW tag on this thread, your video isn't graphic in the slightest.

If anyone would like to see the unedited, full version, go to YouTube and search "Police Shoot Dog, Gunshots Caught On Graphic Video", which is graphic and NSFW. This video will also show you why the dog was shot, since that's missing in OP's video.

I would have shot that dog too if it lunged at me like that.

The dog owner was making a scene.

No, the dog was not shot as it approached the officers. The dog was with the officers for 11 seconds, sniffing at it's owner's cell phone which dropped on the ground, before it lunged at an officer, and then was shot.

I am confused, the man posed no threat to the officers....
Yes he did. He was causing a disturbance at the perimeter of a barricade. That's a threat.

Then they start (from what it appears) manhandling the arrested man....
You don't know that he was arrested. You know that he was handcuffed and being searched.

(searching pockets I think but pretty heavy handed for someone who poses no threat and has cooperated with the arrest) which leads to his dog jumping out of the car in defense of it's owner and then they shoot the dog.
The dog lunged at a cop. Your video conveniently left that out. I would have shot that dog too if it lunged at me like that.

This was totally called for.

I'm a massive rottweiller fan, and it's especially sad that a dog protecting it's owner over such a stupid arrest gets shot but it seems like a dog like this should have been muzzled - a cop can't wait until it actually goes to snap with those jaws(!) to protect himself.

The dog was doing nothing other sniffing the ground.
Here's a screen shot from the un-propagandized video showing the dog in mid-leap as it lunged at the cop:

0.jpg

I'm a massive rottweiller fan, and it's especially sad that a dog protecting it's owner over such a stupid arrest gets shot but it seems like a dog like this should have been muzzled - a cop can't wait until it actually goes to snap with those jaws(!) to protect himself.

Why isn't tazing or pepper spray an option first when it comes to dogs in this situation? Does that not work?

I absolutely love dogs, all dogs, but I have to say that the owner of the dog is negligent here. His dog was not properly under control, either by him or by someone else. Why did he put the dog in the car if his dog "wouldn't hurt anyone or act aggressive"? If it had been me with my dog, I would have just stayed on the street and found out what the officers wanted - police don't just go up to people and arrest them for no reason. And after putting the dog in the car, why didn't he roll up the windows to ensure the dog stayed inside?

I've seen the result of Rott attacks on children, other dogs, and even adults at times and it's not pretty, although they are generally very gentle dogs - they are fiercely protective and loyal too - I'm sure the police have dealt with dog attacks in the past and aren't taking unnecessary chances with strange dogs.

There has to be far more to the story than what we see in this video. Police don't leave a "takedown" just to harrass and arrest an innocent man with a dog. Something doesn't seem right here and a poor animal has suffered because of it.

Why isn't tazing or pepper spray an option first when it comes to dogs in this situation? Does that not work?
Pepper spray does not work on a dog, it would only piss it off even more, and tazing could kill the dog anyway. Also a tazer only immobilizes the target for a moment. The dog, if it survived, would get back up and resume it's attack with vigor.

Yes he did. He was causing a disturbance at the perimeter of a barricade. That's a threat.

If you (general you, not you personally) are a cop, and you think that what what man was doing was "a threat", you need to take off your badge, hang up your uniform, and go get a job where a weak and cowardly little vagina of a man can flourish.

I don't know all the details here so I'm not saying that the police weren't completely justified in hemming that dude up.

But if they were, it wasn't because he was "a threat".

And that's illegal?
Yes, that's very illegal. This man's behavior, in distracting the police, could be seen as interfering and/or harassment.

How does that warrant harassment?
Whether a person is 'obstructing, hindering, or delaying the officer' is up to the perception of the officer, not the person recording. Cops may well have safety concerns that are not immediately obvious to the amateur cameraman. We don't know that the dog's owner was actually arrested or charged with anything. OP's article clams such but where is the proof? For all we know the man was released without any charge.

I didn't see him even touch the cop.
So? The dog lunged, that's enough to demonstrate the dog's intent and to kill it. You don't need to wait until you're injured to fire because the whole point is to prevent you from sustaining any injury in the first place.

Ignoring the debate over the arrest, this sounds rather reasonable.

But if not for the unreasonable arrest there would have never been a reason to shoot that dog.

Yes, that's very illegal. This man's behavior, in distracting the police, could be seen as interfering and/or harassment.

Whether a person is 'obstructing, hindering, or delaying the officer' is up to the perception of the officer, not the person recording. Cops may well have safety concerns that are not immediately obvious to the amateur cameraman. We don't know that the dog's owner was actually arrested or charged with anything. OP's article clams such but where is the proof? For all we know the man was released without any charge.

So? The dog lunged, that's enough to demonstrate the dog's intent and to kill it. You don't need to wait until you're injured to fire because the whole point is to prevent you from sustaining any injury in the first place.

What isn't being reported is how the dog's owner has issues with the Hawthorne Police for a very long time.

Apparently this isn't the first time that Rosby has had issues with the local police. His prior record includes convictions for resisting arrest, battery and driving under the influence. Rosby, a black man, has filed six complaints alleging mistreatment and racial profiling by the Hawthorn Police.

Read more: Police shoot and kill Rottweiler in the street when the dog runs over to owner being arrested for obstruction of justice | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook​

I haven't seen the video, so I don't have an opinion yet. But there have been numerous incidents of police shootings dogs unnecessarily. Police need more training on how to handle dogs and/or they should call the Animal Control department to deal with it. They routinely deal with aggravated dogs without shooting them.

You don't need the NSFW tag on this thread, your video isn't graphic in the slightest.

If anyone would like to see the unedited, full version, go to YouTube and search "Police Shoot Dog, Gunshots Caught On Graphic Video", which is graphic and NSFW. This video will also show you why the dog was shot, since that's missing in OP's video.

I would have shot that dog too if it lunged at me like that.

The dog owner was making a scene.

No, the dog was not shot as it approached the officers. The dog was with the officers for 11 seconds, sniffing at it's owner's cell phone which dropped on the ground, before it lunged at an officer, and then was shot.

You don't know that he was arrested. You know that he was handcuffed and being searched.

The dog lunged at a cop. Your video conveniently left that out. I would have shot that dog too if it lunged at me like that.

This was totally called for.

You are voicing an opinion but an opinion I do not agree with, I am not saying that when it lunged it was not justified that the officer took actions to protect himself. He could however in the 10 seconds before taken his pepper spray and sprayed him in the face, incapacitating the dog (most likely) and if that would not have done the trick he could have still shot the dog.

The man did not make a scene, he was commenting and taking footage with his phone. And a threat? With the first officer approximately 40 yards away? He didn't even touch the cop cars. In several news stories, including a dutch one, it spoke of "dog shot when police arrested owner" (or words to that effect but using the word arrested).

The man posed no threat, he was very far away from where the stand off took place and the officers did not have to arrest him IMHO.

He was shouting verious comments like "where all 'da black cops at" at the perimeter of a barricade.

The dog attacked a cop.

Yeah, in a police state you get arrested when you call out "where are the black cops at", in a normal society the police would have walked up and told the man to go about his business, get in his car and go away.

But if not for the unreasonable arrest there would have never been a reason to shoot that dog.
The whole reason the cops were there in the first places is they were responding to an armed robbery call. Then this jackass 1. leaves music blaring from his car (that's interfering) and 2. starts shouting bumper-sticker slogans at the cops (which is also interference). The arrest was warranted.

Then he failed to properly secure his dog, who then lunged at a cop, and was shot. Rightly so.

Here's a screen shot from the un-propagandized video showing the dog in mid-leap as it lunged at the cop:

View attachment 67149765

What idiot tries to grab the collar/leash of an aggressive (their words and your words) rottweiler?

Mace, pepper spray, tazer or better yet, let go of the owner for a second and step 2 steps back. Release his handcuffs, let him put the dog back in the car, roll up the windows and if the cops still want to arrest him they can do that when the situation is under control.

What idiot tries to grab the collar/leash of an aggressive (their words and your words) rottweiler?
I have to agree with you there. I would have just shot the dog.

Mace, pepper spray, tazer or better yet, let go of the owner for a second and step 2 steps back. Release his handcuffs, let him put the dog back in the car, roll up the windows and if the cops still want to arrest him they can do that when the situation is under control.
You've never had to actually detain anyone in the real world, have you.

Back
Top Bottom