• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Police reforms quickly take hold across America. It's only just getting started

Cardinal

Respected On All Sides
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Protests work. Though to be fair, they wouldn't have worked without ubiquitous film evidence of police brutality.

(CNN)One reform repeals a New York state statute that kept secret the personnel and disciplinary records of police officers, leaving the public in the dark about officers' abuse histories.

Other measures, from Florida to California, ban chokeholds and neck restraints like the one used on George Floyd the day he died in police custody in Minneapolis.

Another move, inspired by the nationwide clamor for reform by protesters after Floyd's death on Memorial Day, proposed dramatically slashing up to $150 million in funding to the Los Angeles Police Department.

Less than three weeks after the death of the unarmed 46-year-old black man, officials across the nation have introduced or passed sweeping, unprecedented reforms against the double scourge of police violence and racial injustice.

"It's critically important that we don't waste yet another moment in which we're continually reminded how much both racism and the lack of police accountability persist in America," said Craig Futterman, a professor at the University of Chicago Law School.

"The only way that we're ultimately going to see better, fairer, more just policing in America is by doing something different than what we've done before."

Police reforms are quickly taking hold across the country after death of George Floyd - CNN

Can you imagine if people applied this ferocity in protest to campaign finance and voting reform.

The problem is, US police are trained to be aggressive. Trained to be aggressive in part because of the proliferation of guns in this country.

No European country even comes close to killing as many civilians on a per capita basis.

There are also huge problems due to sloppy initial vetting, racial inequality, qualified immunity, the 'code of silence', and police unions.

Protests work. Though to be fair, they wouldn't have worked without ubiquitous film evidence of police brutality.

Police reforms are quickly taking hold across the country after death of George Floyd - CNN

That is all good and I don't think this goes along party lines....everybody wants all of these things to occur. The problem I see for policemen and women is they will now turn a blind eye to black crime....let them go....see no evil, speak no evil, ya know? Just glad I live in a rural area and have none of these problems, but I feel for those who truly need protection by police....it will seem they will be more on their own.

That is all good and I don't think this goes along party lines....everybody wants all of these things to occur. The problem I see for policemen and women is they will now turn a blind eye to black crime....let them go....see no evil, speak no evil, ya know? Just glad I live in a rural area and have none of these problems, but I feel for those who truly need protection by police....it will seem they will be more on their own.

Police are more than free to prove the protesters' point if they wish.

The problem is, US police are trained to be aggressive. Trained to be aggressive in part because of the proliferation of guns in this country.

No European country even comes close to killing as many civilians on a per capita basis.

There are also huge problems due to sloppy initial vetting, racial inequality, qualified immunity, the 'code of silence', and police unions.

Police brutality is the result of decades of "hard on crime" platforms. We wanted to see our cops crack heads, and by golly that's what we got.

i'm fine with reform. most professions could use improvement and oversight. i don't really support extreme solutions, though.

i'm fine with reform. most professions could use improvement and oversight. i don't really support extreme solutions, though.

Where have you been? The political pendulum always swings too far when there is a major change........

Where have you been? The political pendulum always swings too far when there is a major change........

I don't believe that we're heading towards a cop free society, as that would be dumb.

Police are more than free to prove the protesters' point if they wish.

99% of police are not as you suggest. It is not something that is wholly consumed within the police ranks, but you know that. It's just more fun to place a whole group of people as evil, so you can feel better. It's the exact same thing racist do towards black people....heap an entire race of people as being bad or inferior....instead, now it's pushed upon the police. This is NOT the way to move forward.

99% of police are not as you suggest. It is not something that is wholly consumed within the police ranks, but you know that. It's just more fun to place a whole group of people as evil, so you can feel better. It's the exact same thing racist do towards black people....heap an entire race of people as being bad or inferior....instead, now it's pushed upon the police. This is NOT the way to move forward.

There are hundreds of videos of police assaulting protesters and not giving a sweet goddamn that they were on camera for the whole world to see. A system leads to that, not individual bad apples.

I don't believe that we're heading towards a cop free society, as that would be dumb.

I don't understand how that's even a topic. Numerous observable bad policies led to the current situation, not the existence of police itself.

Bill Clinton sends his regards.

Was there something in my post to suggest that I was blaming Republicans for this? If not, why would you direct that comment toward me?

There are hundreds of videos of police assaulting protesters and not giving a sweet goddamn that they were on camera for the whole world to see. A system leads to that, not individual bad apples.

Hundreds?

Post them.

I dare you to post or link the HUNDREDS OF POLICE ASSAULTS on protesters.

I don’t think so either, but whomever came up with the slogan, “Defund the Police,” did more harm than good, imo.

Police brutality is the result of decades of "hard on crime" platforms. We wanted to see our cops crack heads, and by golly that's what we got.

Obama was all for cracking heads, huh? The things you learn here.

If this causes fewer Americans to be hurt by governmental officials then how can anyone be against it?

How can any small government conservative possibly be against that?

Obama was all for cracking heads, huh? The things you learn here.

Try responding to the things people actually say instead of the things the goblins in your brain are screaming at you.

Hundreds?

Post them.

I dare you to post or link the HUNDREDS OF POLICE ASSAULTS on protesters.

Why the "on protestors" qualifier? Do you support police assaults in general just not against protestors?

Back
Top Bottom