• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Police: Man sold (14) teen daughter into marriage for cash, beer, meat

Commoncents

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
(CNN) -- A California man sold his 14-year-old daughter to an 18-year-old man for cash, beer and meat -- then called police when the prospective bridegroom didn't live up to his end of the deal, authorities said Tuesday.

Marcelino de Jesus Martinez faces felony charges, according to police in Greenfield, California.

Marcelino de Jesus Martinez, 36, of Greenfield, California, was arrested Monday and booked into the Monterey County Jail, Greenfield police said in a statement. He faces felony charges of receiving money for causing a person to cohabitate, police said.

Martinez had arranged through a third party to have his daughter marry the older teenager, identified by authorities as Margarito de Jesus Galindo, of Gonzales, California. In exchange, Galindo was to pay Martinez $16,000 and provide him with 160 cases of beer, 100 cases of soda, 50 cases of Gatorade, two cases of wine, and six cases of meat, Greenfield Police Chief Joe Grebmeier told CNN.

All those involved in the case are from the western Mexican state of Oaxaca, the police chief said. In the Oaxacan community, such an agreement is "normal and honorable," he said. "In California, it's against the law."

Police: Man sold teen daughter into marriage for cash, beer, meat - CNN.com

This is 'normal' and 'honorable' in Mexico? Learn something new every day.And people still ask whats wrong with our open door policy? Will be interesting to see what kind punishment this kind of nonassimilation entails.

What are we gonna do with these backward Christians?

Police: Man sold teen daughter into marriage for cash, beer, meat - CNN.com

This is 'normal' and 'honorable' in Mexico? Learn something new every day.And people still ask whats wrong with our open door policy? Will be interesting to see what kind punishment this kind of nonassimilation entails.

This is as not as bad as it sounds.

Authorities believe the young girl went with Galindo willingly, and no coercion was involved, he said. However, the girl is four years younger than California's age of consent, although the law does allow 16-year-olds to marry with parental consent.
I believe this would have been legal in more than a few states, and acceptable in quite a few countries and religions. California probably has this law on the books because of the history of forced prostitution from China and other Asian nations. Those cases are horrible human rights violations. This one seems to be a cultural misunderstanding.

Damn vader you just opened up a whole can of worms.

When I read the title of this thread I thought the story was that the guy had sold 14 of his teenage daughters for cash, beer, and meat. My first thought was that this guy was either seriously undervaluing his daughters, or he was going to be set with beer and meat for life.

When I read the title of this thread I thought the story was that the guy had sold 14 of his teenage daughters for cash, beer, and meat. My first thought was that this guy was either seriously undervaluing his daughters, or he was going to be set with beer and meat for life.

Thought the same thing. I thought, no ****ing way, he raised all these daughters to be sold? :shock: Then I read the first post...:mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom