• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Police interactions, have you had guns pointed at you?

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I have. In fact I had about 10 guns pointed at me. Pistols, Shotguns, Rifles. All from officers behind cars. All with rounds presumably chambered and safeties if not off, thumbs ready to correct.

Here's how it went down. I lived in Maine at the time, I was stationed up at NAS Brunswick before it got shuttered. Well, one morning, after the ex had left me, I got up to walk my dog, made some coffee... see I lived in a mobile home (much nicer than what you see down south, it's quite common actually) and I had only one window facing the road. Well there was a knock at my front door. That door was broke, I figured it was the UPS guy cause I was expecting a package.

Well so I had the dog hooked up, was in my bathrobe and cup of coffee I walked out the side/back door. I was totally oblivious until I came around the front. 5 vehicles were parked in front of my place. Each had 1-2 people all pointing very serious looking weapons my way. All the officers had a "This ain't a prank" look on their faces. I honestly nearly pissed myself. I raised my hands as HIGH as I could and asked as calmly as could "Can I help you?"

I was certain at that point my ex had made some spurious claim and I was about to get royally screwed.

In fact, after the two in charge established I was in fact, AG2(AW) from Texas and not the perp they were looking, weapons were raised and we had a nice chat. Seems the previous owner of my home has a son that's a wanted fugitive. White male, 6 foot or so tall, lives alone. Well... at that time in my life, I fit that description.

I am glad they didn't raid the house, I was annoyed they didn't ya know... ask the land lord (evidently they didn't want to alert the suspect) or whatever.

There was another time I was ordered out of the vehicle, by an officer with gun drawn. That wasn't fun. He had mistyped the license plate. In every case, I moved as slow as I could and followed all instructions to the letter.

I have. In fact I had about 10 guns pointed at me. Pistols, Shotguns, Rifles. All from officers behind cars. All with rounds presumably chambered and safeties if not off, thumbs ready to correct.

Here's how it went down. I lived in Maine at the time, I was stationed up at NAS Brunswick before it got shuttered. Well, one morning, after the ex had left me, I got up to walk my dog, made some coffee... see I lived in a mobile home (much nicer than what you see down south, it's quite common actually) and I had only one window facing the road. Well there was a knock at my front door. That door was broke, I figured it was the UPS guy cause I was expecting a package.

Well so I had the dog hooked up, was in my bathrobe and cup of coffee I walked out the side/back door. I was totally oblivious until I came around the front. 5 vehicles were parked in front of my place. Each had 1-2 people all pointing very serious looking weapons my way. All the officers had a "This ain't a prank" look on their faces. I honestly nearly pissed myself. I raised my hands as HIGH as I could and asked as calmly as could "Can I help you?"

I was certain at that point my ex had made some spurious claim and I was about to get royally screwed.

In fact, after the two in charge established I was in fact, AG2(AW) from Texas and not the perp they were looking, weapons were raised and we had a nice chat. Seems the previous owner of my home has a son that's a wanted fugitive. White male, 6 foot or so tall, lives alone. Well... at that time in my life, I fit that description.

I am glad they didn't raid the house, I was annoyed they didn't ya know... ask the land lord (evidently they didn't want to alert the suspect) or whatever.

There was another time I was ordered out of the vehicle, by an officer with gun drawn. That wasn't fun. He had mistyped the license plate. In every case, I moved as slow as I could and followed all instructions to the letter.

You used to be white, male or 6 feet tall?

I was driving through a suburb in Vermont one time with a BB gun in my trunk. I was like 19 at the time and was going to my girlfriend's parents house. Conveniently (not for me), I had my Army ACU's in the car too because I changed out of uniform after formation. So this small town I'm driving through had some type of bank robbery or high value robbery. I was pulled over at a check point when they saw my Army ACU's. They kept calling it 'camo' and were questioning me about it. I kept saying "Sir, look at my Rank. I'm in the Army, it's not "camo", it's my ACUs!!". They then popped my trunk and saw the BB gun (forgot I had it in there- been in there for like 2 years).

They put me in the back of the cop car and this one officer gets in the drivers seat. He turns off his radio, takes out his service weapon and removes the magazine. He then removes a bullet from the magazine using his grip and thumb pressure. He shows me the bullet and tells me he's going insert it into my brain if I made any comments or movements.

An hour of waiting and they all of the sudden let me go. They found another suspect who actually was in the town at the time, and they apologized.

Weirdest night of my life.

No, I've never had the police point a gun at me.

But I have had encounters with police before. Once was when I was in the 6th Grade, and someone had stole somebody's money during the class period, so the resource officers were called in.

They frisked all of us, and eventually they found the money on some kid, but get this: the dude who actually stole the money had placed it in the kid's bag beforehand, and basically framed it on the other kid.

I didn't catch it until about a month later after he tried to steal my band teachers' pack of playing cards. He was basically a kleptomaniac.

Last edited:

I am an advocate of a middle school and high school health - type class on "What do to when you have an encounter with a police officer". I know what is expected of me because my dad taught me. There are lots of kids for a variety of reasons can't resist the "fight or flee" impulse, and if given the understanding of what is exactly going on, lots of problems can be prevented by not doing something stupid.

In your case you knew what to do. It could have turned out the way your ex wanted it to. I hope she was charged.

No, I've never had the police point a gun at me.

But I have had encounters with police before. Once was when someone I was in the 6th Grade, and somebody had stole somebody's money during the class period, so the resource officers were called in.

They frisked all of us, and eventually they found the money on some kid, but get this: the dude who actually stole the money had placed it in the kid's bag beforehand, and basically framed it on the other kid.

I didn't catch it until about a month later after he tried to steal my band teachers' pack of playing cards. He was basically a kleptomaniac.

My mom used to put the Ritalin (that I refused to take), crushed up in my PBnJ sandwiches. I always knew this as I could taste parts of the pill. However, I never really cared because I was hungry. One day, some girl stole my sandwich and was super attentive the day. I was cracking up. Her heart was beating really fast and she was sweating and scared, but I did not feel bad because she stole my food.

My mom used to put the Ritalin (that I refused to take), crushed up in my PBnJ sandwiches. I always knew this as I could taste parts of the pill. However, I never really cared because I was hungry. One day, some girl stole my sandwich and was super attentive the day. I was cracking up. Her heart was beating really fast and she was sweating and scared, but I did not feel bad because she stole my food.

Well, I hope she learned her lesson. Karma's a bitch, ain't it? :lamo

Me and my brother in law bought a little car to fix up and sell in a little town called Armona back in the 80's. On the same day we picked it up and headed over to my house with it, a couple of bad guys in a 'blue car' also robbed a gas station in Hanford. The cops thought we were the bad guys, they pulled us over with pistols and shotguns aimed right at us. It didn't take long for them to realize their mistake though, and they apologized and let us go.

I didn't get mad as they were just doing their job and being careful. But I gotta say..having 10-15 guns pointed at you at the same time is a scary, SCARY, feeling.

Never had a gun pulled on me, thankfully.

Only ever been pulled over once, randomly. Cop gave me a warning not to tailgate, I wasn't, and let me go. Cop probably just wanted to run my plate.

A few times in Northern Ireland back in the day by the RUC and once by a bail bondsman who had the wrong street name. Turns out I knew the bondsman, we'd gone to high school together.

I'm white, so no.

Never had a gun pulled on me, thankfully.

Only ever been pulled over once, randomly. Cop gave me a warning not to tailgate, I wasn't, and let me go. Cop probably just wanted to run my plate.

You do not need to be pulled over for a cop to run your plate. You were probably tailgating, at least in his/her eyes.

You do not need to be pulled over for a cop to run your plate. You were probably tailgating, at least in his/her eyes.

Cop thought I was tailgating him. I'm not that stupid. :lol:

OMG! My son was on Ritalin. One day he secretly shared a pill with his buddy Andy because of some brainiac idea 12 year old kids come up with. My daughter was 15 at the time and babysitting them until my wife came home. My daughter saw Andy's face and called 9-11. The wife was called home from work, and Andy got a ride in a ambulance. (which he thought was cool) It all turned out well, but sent a scare through both families. A couple of weeks went by and none of us really knew what happened until Andy's mom heard the two of them talking about it outside through a screened window at her house.

Busted!

Both were grounded for a month and had to go do sweep & trash duties the fire station every. The guys and girls at the fire station could barely contain themselves from laughing when they showed up on their bikes every day.

OMG! My son was on Ritalin. One day he secretly shared a pill with his buddy Andy because of some brainiac idea 12 year old kids come up with. My daughter was 15 at the time and babysitting them until my wife came home. My daughter saw Andy's face and called 9-11. The wife was called home from work, and Andy got a ride in a ambulance. (which he thought was cool) It all turned out well, but sent a scare through both families. A couple of weeks went by and none of us really knew what happened until Andy's mom heard the two of them talking about it outside through a screened window at her house.

Busted!

Both were grounded for a month and had to go do sweep & trash duties the fire station every. The guys and girls at the fire station could barely contain themselves from laughing when they showed up on their bikes every day.

That's how you teach kids a lesson :)

Cop thought I was tailgating him. I'm not that stupid. :lol:

In my experience with the police, and there was a lot in my younger days, they are right and you are wrong.

In my experience with the police, and there was a lot in my younger days, they are right and you are wrong.

Not the case for me. But, he let me go with just a verbal warning. No harm, no foul.

No, I follow the law and have had no cause to be involved in negative interactions with the police. Other people ought to give it a shot.

Never had a gun pulled on me, but I got smacked around a few times by the police, and I damn well deserved it.

I got a kick in the azz from a Boston City Cop after trying to drop a watermelon on his head off Sidney's Market roof in Dorchester 1971.

I busted out a couple police station windows with some rocks at the Dorchester (Boston) Morton Street Precinct in 1971 after they confiscated I bike that I had bought from a kid who later went on to tell his mom that I stole it, so he wouldn't get in trouble.........I got roughed up initially after they chased me, and did 6 months probation.

I got slammed to the ground by two cops while scrapping with some black kids on Crowell Street in Dorchester in 1971. I received 7 stitches on my head.

Got into another scrap with some blacks kids who were trying to beat up my brother Morton Street, Boston, back in 1972. The cop broke my pinkie while trying to pull me off the kids.......He didn't mean to.

I got into a serious scrap with a cop in 1971 for skipping school and selling newspapers at the Boston Commons in 1971. I recieved a black eye and I was all skinned up. I ended up being placed into the Youth Correctional Center for 3 months. ( Kiddie Prison)

Me and a buddy thought it would be good fun to shut down every escalator between Ashmont Station and Park street in Boston one day back in 1972. We had a blast until the cops were waiting for us at Park Street when we stepped off the train. I went back to "Youthie" for 3 months......Kiddie prison.

I did another 3 months in "Youthie" after I got stopped while carrying envelopes for a bookie who worked with Whitey Bulger in early 1973. I tried fighting with the cop, but I got the crap beat out of me. I knew these were bad people, but the bookie and I hit it off from the start after selling him newspapers. He would send me on a few errands and flip me a "Jackson" and some Red Sox tickets for my efforts.

After I got out of "Youthie" the last time. My youth correction officer had my relatives from Maine waiting for me. It was either go with them or stay in the youth correctional center until I was 17.

Cops carry guns in America? Who knew?

In the US, no. In Libya and Zimbabwe, yes.

Back
Top Bottom