• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Police Groups Furiously Protest Eric Holder's Marijuana Policy Announcement

For the police and other decent traditionalists to protest would be music to Obama and Holder's ears.

Police Groups Furiously Protest Eric Holder's Marijuana Policy Announcement

They'll get over it, or die unhappy.

I think many cops will be relieved that they no longer have to waste time on a pointless task.

I think many cops will be relieved that they no longer have to waste time on a pointless task.
I often wonder how many do it just because it's a job, and don't really give a crap either way.

As ususal this "policy objection" is all about money and lots of it.

Local law enforcement agencies rely heavily on the drug war for funding. Police departments are often able to keep a large portion of the assets they seize during drug raids, even if charges are never brought. And federal grants for drug war operations make up a sizable portion of local law enforcement funding.

If police arrest "normal" violent/non-violent criminals then it costs the gov't money, but with "special" criminals they instead get to actually make money. Few think about this very important factor when discussing the "war on drugs" but, in as in most wars, to the victor go the spoils.

Bust a moron for speeding and they pay a small fine and keep their car, but bust that same moron for "running drugs" and they pay a much larger fine, give up some constitutional rights for life, may be forced to do "community service", may be held in "work release" prison facilities paying "cell rent" for months and must surrender their car (and maybe other assets) to the police to be auctioned off.

I often wonder how many do it just because it's a job, and don't really give a crap either way.

my guess is that most of them experimented with pot at some point in their lives. Busting some other person for it would be like raiding somebody's house because they're suspected of having beer.

As ususal this "policy objection" is all about money and lots of it.

If police arrest "normal" violent/non-violent criminals then it costs the gov't money, but with "special" criminals they instead get to actually make money. Few think about this very important factor when discussing the "war on drugs" but, in as in most wars, to the victor go the spoils.

Bust a moron for speeding and they pay a small fine and keep their car, but bust that same moron for "running drugs" and they pay a much larger fine, give up some constitutional rights for life, may be forced to do "community service", may be held in "work release" prison facilities paying "cell rent" for months and must surrender their car (and maybe other assets) to the police to be auctioned off.
Under civil asset forfeiture they don't even have to bust them.

That "pointless" task is paying for a good portion of their "pointless" salaries. ;)

Say hello to why the war on drugs still exists. LEOs don't want to lose their jobs.

I think if eliminating these draconian drug laws leads to downsizing of police forces, then that's a good thing. Violent crime in this country is at an all time low despite what the media would have us believe. We don't need more cops, we need less.

Less nanny government, more freedom. It's about time.

There are just as many police who would be glad not to devote their energy to busting pot smokers. Ttwtt is absolutely right about how much money is tied up in continuing the drug war. Funding for police, for private prisons, for their lobbies, all tied up in continuing to treat law enforcement like a business. It will take a lot of changes, not just a few states legalizing pot, to reclaim law enforcement for the public benefit.

And, um... what more notice did these police groups expect? Surely they heard about their states voting to change the rules back in November. 10 months wasn't enough notice?

The opposite is happening here. Most police in Canada especially B.C. don't really care if you have weed or not.

Another win for Obama. Keeping the US, fat, stupid and stoned.

If anyone can testify to the destruction of drug abuse, it's a cop. He sees it everyday. It is a fact that most males arrested for any type of crime in any major city, overwhelmingly have an illegal substance in their system upon arrest. Don't believe me check out the reports coming out of Portland Oregon, Chicago, Illinois, NY, New York, Sacramento, California, Atlanta, Georgia, Minneapolis, Minnesota, Charlotte, North Carolina or Denver Colorado. On the average, most of these cities see arrests for ANY CRIME, whether it be rape, theft, property damage, murder, homicide etc., illegal drugs are in their system. And at an average rate of over 60% some places much higher. I recently read an article coming out of Portland Oregon that over 80% of males arrested for WHATEVER, had illegal drugs in their system in 2010.
So are cops just fighting drugs because it is currently part of their job? NAH. Unlike many of you they know what the sh*t does to society. They see the young kids with promise in schools across this country go to a party after a game and end up being introduced to multiple types of drugs and often turned into junkees. They see how marijuana alone leads to unprotected sex and unwanted pregnancies. And if you think marijuana is so damn harmless, maybe you should ask yourselves why so damn many help centers are popping up all over the place to deal with its addiction. Obviously there is an addiction problem because of so many of you willing to risk buying it. There is this stereo type that a marijuana user if harmless. Well not when they need to score a bag and can't get it unless by force or commit a crime. The cops see how once addicted physically or emotionally to a drug can lead an individual to steal and even kill to obtain it. People at local levels of government including the families who deal with their pot smoking loved ones are reaching out for counseling. Cops see daily the lack of respect for human life. I know some mighty fine cops, local, state, and federal. And none of them see the war on drugs as a failed cause. It's gotten so bad that the major city I live near in a suburb sees people being killed daily for their possession of drugs. Just a couple of days ago a man was rolling a joint and two others shot him in the head, killed him for that joint. What I find so disturbing is the increase for the need for the drugs. People no longer seem they can have a good time or enjoy life without being stoned. And that is very sad.

Last edited:
If anyone can testify to the destruction of drug abuse, it's a cop. He sees it everyday. It is a fact that most males arrested for any type of crime in any major city, overwhelmingly have an illegal substance in their system upon arrest. Don't believe me check out the reports coming out of Portland Oregon, Chicago, Illinois, NY, New York, Sacramento, California, Atlanta, Georgia, Minneapolis, Minnesota, Charlotte, North Carolina or Denver Colorado. On the average, most of these cities see arrests for ANY CRIME, whether it be rape, theft, property damage, murder, homicide etc., illegal drugs are in their system. And at an average rate of over 60% some places much higher. I recently read an article coming out of Portland Oregon that over 80% of males arrested for WHATEVER, had illegal drugs in their system in 2010.
So are cops just fighting drugs because it is currently part of their job? NAH. Unlike many of you they know what the sh*t does to society. They see the young kids with promise in schools across this country go to a party after a game and end up being introduced to multiple types of drugs and often turned into junkees. They see how marijuana alone leads to unprotected sex and unwanted pregnancies. And if you think marijuana is so damn harmless, maybe you should ask yourselves why so damn many help centers are popping up all over the place to deal with its addiction. Obviously there is an addiction problem because of so many of you willing to risk buying it. There is this stereo type that a marijuana user if harmless. Well not when they need to score a bag and can't get it unless by force or commit a crime. The cops see how once addicted physically or emotionally to a drug can lead an individual to steal and even kill to obtain it. People at local levels of government including the families who deal with their pot smoking loved ones are reaching out for counseling. Cops see daily the lack of respect for human life. I know some mighty fine cops, local, state, and federal. And none of them see the war on drugs as a failed cause. It's gotten so bad that the major city I live near in a suburb sees people being killed daily for their possession of drugs. Just a couple of days ago a man was rolling a joint and two others shot him in the head, killed him for that joint. What I find so disturbing is the increase for the need for the drugs. People no longer seem they can have a good time or enjoy life without being stoned. And that is very sad.

I can say the same thing about a great deal of things that are perfectly legal.

It's funny Conservatives are upset about Obama and Holder not challenging the decision, normally they advocate state governments and less government intervention, but when its something they dont like all of a sudden the federal government needs to do something.

Does Canada have asset forfeiture laws?

Yes we do from Wikipedia:
Part XII.2 of the Criminal Code of Canada provides a national forfeiture régime for property arising from the commission of a designated offence (i.e., most indictable offences), subsequent to conviction. Provision is also made for the use of restraint and management orders to govern such property during the course of a criminal proceeding.

All provinces except Prince Edward Island, The Yukon Territory and Newfoundland and Labrador have also enacted statutes to provide for similar civil forfeiture régimes.These generally provide, on a balance of probabilities basis, for the seizure of property:
- acquired from the results of unlawful activity, or
-is likely to be used to engage in unlawful activity

The Supreme Court of Canada has upheld civil forfeiture laws as a valid exercise of the provincial government power over property and civil rights. The extent to which the Charter of Rights and Freedoms applies to civil forfeiture statutes is still under dispute. To the extent that such laws are applied for a "punitive" purpose, there is case law to suggest that the Charter applies. In cases where evidence has been obtained illegally, courts in Alberta and British Columbia have excluded such evidence.

I can say the same thing about a great deal of things that are perfectly legal.

If they are legal then they wouldn't be an issue with law enforcement now would they? We are talking law enforcement not all the stupid crap people can do legally to screw up their lives.

It's funny Conservatives are upset about Obama and Holder not challenging the decision, normally they advocate state governments and less government intervention, but when its something they dont like all of a sudden the federal government needs to do something.

Funny as in Ha Ha? Conservatives have a right to be upset for they expect the Commander and Chief to uphold the laws of the land. And currently marijuana is classified equivalent to heroin. Either declassify it or uphold the laws. It is no secret that these new found medical dispensaries are selling weed way below street price and people are buying it and trafficking it to where it will get top dollar in states that don't want the sh*t . Where the f'k are their protections under the law?

Funny as in Ha Ha? Conservatives have a right to be upset for they expect the Commander and Chief to uphold the laws of the land. And currently marijuana is classified equivalent to heroin. Either declassify it or uphold the laws. It is no secret that these new found medical dispensaries are selling weed way below street price and people are buying it and trafficking it to where it will get top dollar in states that don't want the sh*t . Where the f'k are their protections under the law?

Well Obama can't simply declassify it. He would need the cooperation of said Conservatives for that.

Well Obama can't simply declassify it. He would need the cooperation of said Conservatives for that.

has he submitted such an offer? Nooooooooo!!!!

has he submitted such an offer? Nooooooooo!!!!

Does he need to? We all know the outcome. This would be like you telling a high school drop-out that he doesn't know he can't get into Harvard Law School because he hasn't decided to apply yet.

Does he need to? We all know the outcome. This would be like you telling a high school drop-out that he doesn't know he can't get into Harvard Law School because he hasn't decided to apply yet.
BS and it needs to stop now. When the DOJ is well aware of the illegal activity through states with their new found marijuana laws using the dispensaries as a way of means to buy the stuff without a legal prescription at a much lower price than street value and then cross the borders sell it in surrounding states and beyond forcing other states to beef up their forces to fight the sh*t from crossing past their state borders.....then THIS ASININE ADMINISTRATION sends the message that they would respect states rights? bRAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Since when did a leftist ever respect states rights unless it furthered their agenda?
Obama has not once proposed declassifying marijuana. He certainly had the opportunities when he held the majority in all branches of government during his first 2 1/2 years of his reign as tyrant and chief. He could have lit a fire under the FDA and had the drug passed so there would be no need for "dispensaries" for medical marijuana, and allowed those with legitimate prescriptions to purchase the drug through their local pharmacy. But that didn't happen either. So those in the profession of upholding the laws,(C0PS) laying their lives on the line have been screwed by the great leader Obama and his administration. While the left espouses their rights to drugs for personal use regardless the cost to society and point out that the war on drugs has been such a failure....they never address the reason it has been such a failure is the their appetite to keep the illegal cartels in business. Look we all know where this is heading..... the same way the left got abortion passed through judge shopping. The same way the left is in pursuit of getting gay marriage passed nationally is through judge shopping and when enough states pass marijuana using sick people to further their agenda that too will end up at the door of the Supreme Court where nine political appointed justices will determine the outcome. This his how the left operates ....what they can't get passed at the ballot box, they will judge shop for a political appointee that shares their agenda and overturn millions of votes of Americans in the process. F them.

It's not hard to understand why. Stop enforcing laws against marijuana and suddenly you need a fewer police officers.
I think their priorities are screwed up. There will always be a need for police, to the point that we can fund strong departments without further creating crime. If we didn't worry so much about personal choices police resources could still be applied to being in position to respond to emergencies, there will always be violent offenders, drunk drivers, and the like, but if those resources weren't dedicated to rooting out people who do drugs without hurting others(I'm neutral on that) then they can be dedicated to furthering the overall peace.

Back
Top Bottom