• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Police Fatally Shoot Black Security Guard Who Detained Shooting Suspect

ThoughtEx.

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
On Tuesday, Illinois State Police issued a statement saying that "a Midlothian Police Officer encountered a subject in plain black clothing with no markings readily identifying him as a Security Guard, armed with a gun in the west parking lot."

"According to witness statements, the Midlothian Officer gave the armed subject multiple verbal commands to drop the gun and get on the ground before ultimately discharging his weapon and striking the subject," the statement said.

Roberson was holding a firearm he was licensed to carry. Other witnesses, and a lawsuit filed by his Roberson's family, reportedly said he was wearing a hat emblazoned with the word "security."

"Everybody was screaming out 'Security!' " Harris told WGN. "And they still did their job, and saw a black man with a gun, and basically killed him."

Another witness, Jakia Woods, told member station WBEZ's Miles Bryan that Roberson was wearing an orange vest and the hat marked "security."

She said it was "absolutely clear" that he was a security guard.

Woods said that the Midlothian officer came out of the club's back door — weapon drawn — and ordered Roberson to "get on the ground."

"Before he says 'ground' he fires the first shot," she said, adding that she has not been interviewed by investigators.

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/13/6672...XW16f-LBgH5qV3G_-JMmnwHI5qICSvNr-_me9Q2eV5RjQ

Let me guess, better wait for all the facts (aka waiting for the spin you can latch onto to justify legal murder of a black man)

So who fights for black people's second amendment rights? Or do they not count if they startle or frighten a cop with their skin pigment?

A right is a right. No matter if the cop is scared or not. This is bull****. And the bull**** has to stop. Cops need to be held to higher standards than citizens. Or they will find those citizens all to ready to exercise their second amendment rights. If I have to choose between death or life in prison. I'll defend myself and take the prison. A cops life is not worth more than my own.

This man should have shot that cop as he laid dying. I would have.

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/13/6672...XW16f-LBgH5qV3G_-JMmnwHI5qICSvNr-_me9Q2eV5RjQ

Let me guess, better wait for all the facts (aka waiting for the spin you can latch onto to justify legal murder of a black man)

So who fights for black people's second amendment rights? Or do they not count if they startle or frighten a cop with their skin pigment?

A right is a right. No matter if the cop is scared or not. This is bull****. And the bull**** has to stop. Cops need to be held to higher standards than citizens. Or they will find those citizens all to ready to exercise their second amendment rights. If I have to choose between death or life in prison. I'll defend myself and take the prison. A cops life is not worth more than my own.

Has the NRA defended the cop yet?

You just know they will.

Because events such as this are so common, one must wonder if trigger-happy cops are the product of the training they receive. Shoot first, ask questions later. And they wonder why so many citizens don't like them.

Because events such as this are so common, one must wonder if trigger-happy cops are the product of the training they receive. Shoot first, ask questions later. And they wonder why so many citizens don't like them.

Of course it's a product of training. Police are trained to exercise absolute control over a situation and generally have the mindset that if there's even the slightest shred of doubt about a situation it's officer who's going home for dinner that night and if that means someone who really isn't a threat dies well that's life.

You would think that the NRA would try and defend this guy, being that he was a good guy with a gun and all. But they've been silent on this.

All in all, it's a ****ed up story, and I'd like to think that cop will face serious repercussions. But knowing that law enforcement tend to just get slaps on the wrist when stuff like this happens, probably not.

Of course it's a product of training. Police are trained to exercise absolute control over a situation and generally have the mindset that if there's even the slightest shred of doubt about a situation it's officer who's going home for dinner that night and if that means someone who really isn't a threat dies well that's life.

Whew! Thanks for that. I was worried that police training includes "assessing the situation". Relief.

It's not their training. It's their psychology.

My guess is that the cops will do all they can to not interview this Jakia Woods.
/

You are probably correct. As one whose grandfather was a cop, I'm sympathetic to their plight. However, it seems that in so many cases they are afraid of their own shadow.

Honestly, by now, I feel pretty ****ing numb. Before I came to this forum, I was dealing with a bunch of young alt-right assholes who thought that a ten-year-old getting shot over a BB gun was hilarious, and that a fifty+-year-old factory worker who could have easily been a coworker of mine was only shot in the back because he had 'thug' friend waiting for him. I don't even know how to address this issue any more. I stand defeated by the callousness of humanity.

It's their virtual assurance that they will face an internal investigation (be 'judged' by special police only standards?) for an officer involved shooting rather than face a criminal charge and trial in front of a jury of their peers like anyone else that shoots someone for not following commands immediately and to the letter.

The bottom line is that 'trained officers' responded to a man with a gun call (fear of death/serious injury firmly established?), saw a man with a gun (fear of death/serious injury now justified?), barked out some canned 'lawful orders' (claimed non-compliance?) and shot him (good shoot by police standards?).

You are probably correct. As one whose grandfather was a cop, I'm sympathetic to their plight. However, it seems that in so many cases they are afraid of their own shadow.

Deep down every cop knows what they are doing is wrong on some level. Continuing the behavior is damaging to an already malformed psyche.

Where's the body cam footage?

On a side note, the actual bar shooter in this case, who survived, will likely be charged with murder regardless of the outcome of the investigation on the officer's shooting.

4-6 million settlement to the family of the guard. Cop might lose his badge (he should) and will be almost guaranteed to be unable to find similar work in the future

Sad situation I hope the cop had a body cam on so we can have a better idea what really happened. Regardless it’s a sad situation.

Back
Top Bottom