• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Police Department Acquires $600k Military Vehicle ‘Built to Withstand Arms Fire, Mine

Re: Police Department Acquires $600k Military Vehicle ‘Built to Withstand Arms Fire,

Why would the police need such a sophisticated military vehicle?

To oppress the masses!

Re: Police Department Acquires $600k Military Vehicle ‘Built to Withstand Arms Fire,

This is a waste of tax payer dollars.

IF you bother reading the article the 'waste' has already occurred. These vehicles are sitting idle since being brought back from the SA theater. Bought and paid for the DoD, they are now surplus. The Sheriff's dept obtained ONE such vehicle at no cost to taxpayers of Dallas county. (that was made pretty clear in the article)

These vehicles are not sophisticated, compared to most military vehicles they are Plain Janes.

The turning over of a FEW surplus vehicles to Local LE's is not breaking news. The tin foil hat Bde has been all over this at every new 'revelation'. Tarrant county Tx has a surplus 6 wheeled APC. Tillman county Ok has an old M113A1. 5K, I soooooo wanted one!

Recap, surplus, no NEW cost to taxpayers, 2nd tier at best when it comes to Armored Fighting Vehicles, far cheaper to maintain and operate than the tracked AFVs.

But we need more military! Military spending isn't enough! The government is too big but we need to spend more on our military!

Shoot out the tires and it becomes a police safe house.

Good grief.

Isnt this yet another recycled outrage story? Seems like a while back they were buying all the ammo and thousands of armored vehicles. I cant keep up with the RW nutrages anymore.

IF you bother reading the article the 'waste' has already occurred. These vehicles are sitting idle since being brought back from the SA theater. Bought and paid for the DoD, they are now surplus. The Sheriff's dept obtained ONE such vehicle at no cost to taxpayers of Dallas county. (that was made pretty clear in the article)

These vehicles are not sophisticated, compared to most military vehicles they are Plain Janes.

The turning over of a FEW surplus vehicles to Local LE's is not breaking news. The tin foil hat Bde has been all over this at every new 'revelation'. Tarrant county Tx has a surplus 6 wheeled APC. Tillman county Ok has an old M113A1. 5K, I soooooo wanted one!

Recap, surplus, no NEW cost to taxpayers, 2nd tier at best when it comes to Armored Fighting Vehicles, far cheaper to maintain and operate than the tracked AFVs.

maintenance and operation is a new cost to taxpayers

Plus depreciation.

Re: Police Department Acquires $600k Military Vehicle ‘Built to Withstand Arms Fire

Could it be that the government is preparing for war against the American people?

Just one vehicle is perhaps an early warning sign that the Police mean business.

Re: Police Department Acquires $600k Military Vehicle ‘Built to Withstand Arms Fire

Yeppers, here come the FEMA trains.
Just one vehicle is perhaps an early warning sign that the Police mean business.

Compared to a command center SWAT van with all it's commo and extras? I don't the Dallas county taxpayers will suffer much... ;)

Given that the headline is pushing the cost to the DoD and a few ill informed posters are up in arms, well up in armchairs, over that I'd say a free vehicle far out-weighs the maintenance costs. Unlike tracked vehicles, the wheeled versions use a lot more off the shelf automotive components. Unlike this vehicle's days in Afghanistan I doubt this one gets a 1/10th of the current mileage per year.

Given how most LEAs are funded by civilian oversight boards, the Sheriff's dept by the county commissioners, and are traditionally underfunded I doubt 5-oh can get too serious. Now they get a troop of Bradleys then ya MIGHT have a point.

Decade 2 in the Rise Of The Warrior Cop. :shoot

What business is that?

Only if we allow it.

Countless cases have been going on including trigger happy.

Countless cases have been going on including trigger happy.
Only if we allow it.
Only if we keep allowing the type of people to be elected into office that will allow it.

From the article:

“Having a tactical vehicle will not only provide warrants execution with the equipment to assist in performing their jobs but will provide an overall safety arch,” Suell reportedly wrote to commissioners.

Gonna make every warrant a Waco warrant, eh?

Back
Top Bottom