• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Police denied service at Washington State resaurant

MickeyW

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Deputies asked not to dine at Washington state restaurant

SEDRO-WOOLLEY, Wash. – The sheriff of a county about 70 miles north of Seattle says a restaurant owner has asked that law enforcement no longer dine there.

Skagit County Sheriff Will Reichardt said on Facebook that after four deputies finished lunch at Lucky's Teriyaki in Sedro-Woolley Thursday, the owner asked them not to eat there anymore.

Deputies asked not to dine at Washington state restaurant | Fox News

Last edited:
as i read earlier, the law enforcement members were not denied service

they were served and upon payment asked not to return

what's wrong with that?

what's wrong with that?

Seriously? lol

"Don't come back now, ya hear!"
"Don't call us when you get robbed, ya hear!"

Honestly - as a customer, I wouldn't feel comfortable stepping a single toe inside a business that DOESN'T want officers AROUND - ever. I don't fear cops but I do fear assholes wanting to rob and do other stupid, illegal ****.

What if the two cops had been two gay guys?

This restaurant had a reoccurring problem with some local cops or did they just bar this one group of particular rude/rowdy cops?

I doubt a restaurant owner would be dumb enough to deny service because of patrons complaining about all cops in general.

Were these cops being menacing to the patrons?

Seriously? lol

Honestly - as a customer, I wouldn't feel comfortable stepping a single toe inside a business that DOESN'T want officers AROUND - ever. I don't fear cops but I do fear assholes wanting to rob and do other stupid, illegal ****.

the customers were uncomfortable with the cops there

maybe the customers are criminals

maybe the cops are acting in an intimidating fashion

but if i am a business owner and my other customers do not want the cops present, then i am going to discreetly (unlike the police department) ask that they no longer engage in private business at my private business

they must respond to future calls for assistance. the police choose whether to respond professionally or not

This restaurant had a reoccurring problem with some local cops or did they just bar this one group of particular rude/rowdy cops?

I doubt a restaurant owner would be dumb enough to deny service because of patrons complaining about all cops in general.

from another article, it seems the owner's son made this unilateral decision in his father's absence

his father has since had a private meeting with the police

what's wrong with that?

I mean, fundamentally nothing. But in the sense that I would also say that a baker, for instance, could refuse making a wedding cake for a same sex marriage. It's their property and business and if they don't want to serve cops, I'd say they were free to do so. But perhaps on some moral level, discriminating by profession is still discrimination. Plus, for the most part, the police are a positive influence.

I'd say that the business is free to do as they like, but they are not free from the consequences. And I think in this case, it's going to be severe.

what's wrong with that?

Depends on who you ask I guess....I'd say it was pretty damn dumb.

They also asked the Sheriff to spread the word that no cops from other agencies are welcome either. So, the jail court house and other government buildings are within a block of that restaurant, and I think the word will spread throughout the community.... very quickly.

Pretty dumb.

Now if you approve of this, you should also approve of a bakery who refuses to bake a wedding cake for gays! Right?

Refusal of service should run the gamut.

If a restaurant owner is fool enough not to want police around, I suppose that is his lookout. Most of us find it reassuring to see cops now and then in various shops and other businesses.

Obviously the clintenle is uncomfortable with police.

I'd just park my cruiser out front and eat my lunch there, writing parking tickets.

Seriously? lol

Fully agree.

What if the two cops had been two gay guys?

There would be all hell to pay with the liberal nitwits.

Read the article...it's all cops...

but if i am a business owner and my other customers do not want the cops present, then i am going to discreetly (unlike the police department) ask that they no longer engage in private business at my private business

they must respond to future calls for assistance. the police choose whether to respond professionally or not

They will respond, as soon as they have an officer available...;)

from another article, it seems the owner's son made this unilateral decision in his father's absence

his father has since had a private meeting with the police

Maybe the son is a drug dealer and his business is hurting.

I mean, fundamentally nothing. But in the sense that I would also say that a baker, for instance, could refuse making a wedding cake for a same sex marriage. It's their property and business and if they don't want to serve cops, I'd say they were free to do so. But perhaps on some moral level, discriminating by profession is still discrimination. Plus, for the most part, the police are a positive influence.

I'd say that the business is free to do as they like, but they are not free from the consequences. And I think in this case, it's going to be severe.

That was a good response and I agree.

Obviously the clintenle is uncomfortable with police.

I'd just park my cruiser out front and eat my lunch there, writing parking tickets.

lol. evil.

Somehow I don't think we're getting the full story.

Fully agree.

There would be all hell to pay with the liberal nitwits.

Read the article...it's all cops...

They will respond, as soon as they have an officer available...;)

Maybe the son is a drug dealer and his business is hurting.

That was a good response and I agree.

Ya i know what the article says, buddy. Im wondering about the reality of the situation and not what was reported though. Where these cops sitting inside mad dogging the patrons and making them feel menaced?

If a restaurant owner is fool enough not to want police around, I suppose that is his lookout. Most of us find it reassuring to see cops now and then in various shops and other businesses.

Ya, I go up to them and ask if they are moonlighting as security....or if they are old enough to be on the force. So many these days look like high school kids to me.

Ya i know what the article says, buddy. Im wondering about the reality of the situation and not what was reported though. Where these cops sitting inside mad dogging the patrons and making them feel menaced?

Pure supposition on your part.....not any evidence to suggest that. Well see what develops.

Or...maybe the customers think the cops are putting them in danger if some nut tries to take the cops out while they're eating at the diner.

Or...maybe the customers aren't comfortable around guns....even if they're cops.

Who knows....it's a strange story...and I'm not sure we're getting both sides.

To the cops credit they said they'd still respond if the diner owner needs or calls them.

what's wrong with that?

I'll bet they will want them back the next time they are robbed . :roll:

Or...maybe the customers think the cops are putting them in danger if some nut tries to take the cops out while they're eating at the diner.

Or...maybe the customers aren't comfortable around guns....even if they're cops.

Who knows....it's a strange story...and I'm not sure we're getting both sides.

To the cops credit they said they'd still respond if the diner owner needs or calls them.

Good for the cops. It helps to be the bigger person and not hold malice. Just peaceful, calm, sure resolve.

I guess they sent the Chief Deputy back to the site to confirm the situation and the owner repeated.

Looks like the owner shot himself in the foot after everyone in the town finally sees it on facebook. Gonna lose wayyyy more customers than the few that were paranoid in there at the time.

Wonder if a followup, direct statement will come from the owner instead of secondary confirmation.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/washington-sheriff-says-restaurant-bans-132222300.html

Thursday night, however, the family that runs Lucky Teriyaki in Sedro-Woolley, a northwestern Washington town some 70 miles outside of Seattle, said the situation was the result of a language barrier. The owner broke down in tears over the incident and even offered free meals Monday to police, according to Seattle-Tacoma television station KCPQ. Wrote KCPQ, "the man's son said in a heavy accent that it had all been a misunderstanding and he apologized for the incident."

Using an interpreter to talk with the owners, KOMO news reported that Lucky Teriyaki has received death threats. A table near the deputies apparently got upset over a spill, and an employee wondered if it was because police were sitting nearby. The employee asked if they were about to leave. The employee then didn't understand what was happening when asked to clarify by police, according to the story told to KOMO.

Lucky Teriyaki has been flooded with negative comments and Yelp reviews. It now has a one star rating.

So are the cops unintentionally bullying the restaurant or not?

Last edited:

what's wrong with that?

If black people were served, and then asked not to return... wouldn't there be a problem with that????

[video]http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/sedro-woolley-eatery-apologizes-for-asking-cops-not-to-eat-there/[/video]

Lots of quotes n stuff in this article. Describing the online responses.

Back
Top Bottom