• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Police declare riot on 84th night of protests, after vandalism at ICE building in Southwest Portland

Yes, ORS 133 (in part) defines peace officer and states their authority, which is why I cited that, not 166.015. 166.015 has nothing to do with authority to enforce laws, so why you even mentioned it is baffling.

Oregon Law - Chapter 166 - Offenses Against Public Order; Firearms and Other Weapons; Racketeering

Since we are talking about riots "Offenses Against Public Order" would seem to be the most logical place to look to see what Oregon law has to say about riots, wouldn't you think? Or do you? And now lets take a closer look at ORS Chapter 133 -Arrest and Related Procedures; Search and Seizure; Extradition. In particular 133.245. Arrest by federal officer.

(1)A federal officer may arrest a person:

(a)For any crime committed in the federal officer’s presence if the federal officer has probable cause to believe the person committed the crime.

(b)For any felony or Class A misdemeanor if the federal officer has probable cause to believe the person committed the crime.

(c)When rendering assistance to or at the request of a law enforcement officer, as defined in ORS 414.805 (Liability of individual for medical services received while in custody of law enforcement officer).

(d)When the federal officer has received positive information in writing or by telephone, telegraph, teletype, radio, facsimile machine or other authoritative source that a peace officer holds a warrant for the person’s arrest.

(2)The federal officer shall inform the person to be arrested of the federal officer’s authority and reason for the arrest.

(3)In order to make an arrest, a federal officer may use physical force as is justifiable and authorized of a peace officer under ORS 161.235 (Use of physical force in making an arrest or in preventing an escape), 161.239 (Use of deadly physical force in making an arrest or in preventing an escape) and 161.245 (“Reasonable belief” described).

(4)(a) A federal officer making an arrest under this section without unnecessary delay shall take the arrested person before a magistrate or deliver the arrested person to a peace officer.

(b)The federal officer retains authority over the arrested person only until the person appears before a magistrate or until the law enforcement agency having general jurisdiction over the area in which the arrest took place assumes responsibility for the person.

(5)A federal officer when making an arrest for a nonfederal offense under the circumstances provided in this section shall have the same immunity from suit as a state or local law enforcement officer.

(6)A federal officer is authorized to make arrests under this section upon certification by the Department of Public Safety Standards and Training that the federal officer has received proper training to enable that officer to make arrests under this section. [1981 c.808 §3; 1993 c.254 §2; 1995 c.79 §48; 1997 c.853 §34]

The subsections I highlighted in red are what Trump and Barr's storm troopers have not been in compliance with.

Again, what does any of this have to do with Portland police declaring a riot?

Because the uninvited presence of these federal troops and their tactics is serving as the primary catalyst for the present unrest in Portland. Just like local government and authorities warned that it would. This is Trump and Barr purposely provoking confrontation and division for purely political reasons. The people there don't like fascism. Remove the Trump's storm troopers and watch how quickly calm is restored to the block.

It just seems that you people are for the constitution and states rights until you're not. The President is not a king. The President doesn't have the ability or the authority to require the states to enforce their laws in a certain way or to push aside the local law enforcement authorities. The DHS is not to be used as his or her personal militia. There are no federal statutes they are enforcing by engaging with these protesters. The protection of federal property is being used as a ruse to interfere with these protesters 1st Amendment rights and to violate their 4th Amendment rights. There already exists a federal law enforcement entity charged with the responsibility of protecting federal courthouses and that's the US Marshals.

Hard to know where to even start with this.

This isn't a constitutional or state's rights issue.

DHS was there to protect federal property - which they had every right to do. The issue there was never with the legitimate protesters.

You mean till people go against the constitution and state laws by rioting and looting. Yea I can’t imagine why people would be against that.

Just fyi as you obviously don’t know but you don’t have a right to riot or loot and the federal government does not need a state’s permission to prevent federal buildings from being destroyed.

But I guess in pretend land you can just pretend burning down federal buildings is a constitutionally protected right. I mean why not if we are just making things up.

"Marchers arrived, beating drums and playing guitars, chanting and singing." Yeah that sounds like a real dangerous crowd there. Rioting and looting is not what is going on there. No matter what Fox tells you. These confrontations are confined to a very small area , involving small crowds and usually late at night. Otherwise than that life goes on Portland normally and routinely for everybody else. As much as it can anyways in the midst of a pandemic that this inept administration has turned into a cluster**** of historic proportions. Turn the channel away from Fox News before it ends up draining all of your brain.

Hard to know where to even start with this.

This isn't a constitutional or state's rights issue.

DHS was there to protect federal property - which they had every right to do. The issue there was never with the legitimate protesters.

That is not their job. That the Federal Marshals responsibility. They are there uninvited and unwanted under the direction of a DHS Director that the Government Accountability Office has determined was illegitimately appointed. They are violating parts of Oregon state statute and their citizen's first and fourth amendment rights. It is they who are not legitimate.

That's true - and something to be concerned about. The Portland police were already stretched to the limit. This weekend, they were placed in a position where they admitted they didn't have the ability to respond to a declared riot between rival groups. I'm sure morale in that police department is gone.

That is not their job. That the Federal Marshals responsibility. They are there uninvited and unwanted under the direction of a DHS Director that the Government Accountability Office has determined was illegitimately appointed. They are violating parts of Oregon state statute and their citizen's first and fourth amendment rights. It is they who are not legitimate.

It is their job. See! That's easy! Mission | Homeland Security

Honestly, it's pretty stupid to try to declare who's job it is to protect federal property and people. If the nightly violence wasn't there, it wouldn't matter. Again, the issue isn't peaceful protesters. It's the people coming out after dark to incite violence and cause damage. They were the ones seeking conflict.

Oregon Law - Chapter 166 - Offenses Against Public Order; Firearms and Other Weapons; Racketeering

Since we are talking about riots "Offenses Against Public Order" would seem to be the most logical place to look to see what Oregon law has to say about riots, wouldn't you think? Or do you? And now lets take a closer look at ORS Chapter 133 -Arrest and Related Procedures; Search and Seizure; Extradition. In particular 133.245. Arrest by federal officer.

[/COLOR]

The subsections I highlighted in red are what Trump and Barr's storm troopers have not been in compliance with.

Ok? But you didn't ask about what constitutes a riot, you asked what authority Portland PD has to declare a riot. I directed you to the source, as you were clearly unable to do a simple search yourself. You're welcome.

As far as federal officers, if they are not following proper procedures, void the arrests and release the people they arrested. Sounds simple.

Ok? But you didn't ask about what constitutes a riot, you asked what authority Portland PD has to declare a riot. I directed you to the source, as you were clearly unable to do a simple search yourself. You're welcome.

As far as federal officers, if they are not following proper procedures, void the arrests and release the people they arrested. Sounds simple.

You haven't directed me or anyone else anything. I'm doing all the heavy lifting here for you and I'm getting pretty tired of doing it. I found the relative statute which you couldn't find because as you said you're not a lawyer. Funny neither am I and I still managed anyhow. And there isn't anything in there about the delegation of authority, or even definition of a procedure for the police 'declaring' riots. Is there? So are you ready yet to conclude that said delegated authority does not exist?

Honestly, it's pretty stupid to try to declare who's job it is to protect federal property and people. If the nightly violence wasn't there, it wouldn't matter. Again, the issue isn't peaceful protesters. It's the people coming out after dark to incite violence and cause damage. They were the ones seeking conflict.

Honestly it's pretty stupid to post to me a page intended as a counterpoint to my argument that makes no mention whatsoever of the protection of federal property being a core mission of the DHS. So perhaps you should go back to that page and where it says; "Was this page helpful?", click on "No".

It's people coming out to tell the illegal occupiers of their city to leave as their local government has asked them to do.

Wheeler needs to step down. It's obvious he won't do anything about this ****.

Honestly it's pretty stupid to post to me a page intended as a counterpoint to my argument that makes no mention whatsoever of the protection of federal property being a core mission of the DHS. So perhaps you should go back to that page and where it says; "Was this page helpful?", click on "No".

Perhaps read it again. Several points of the mission apply.

In any case, I didn't say that 'protecting courthouses is a primary mission' - protecting lives and property clearly is.

It's people coming out to tell the illegal occupiers of their city to leave as their local government has asked them to do.

That's a strange response. What illegal occupiers?

We're talking about federal officers, within the united states. They were protecting federal property. And again, we're not talking about protesters.

You haven't directed me or anyone else anything. I'm doing all the heavy lifting here for you and I'm getting pretty tired of doing it. I found the relative statute which you couldn't find because as you said you're not a lawyer. Funny neither am I and I still managed anyhow. And there isn't anything in there about the delegation of authority, or even definition of a procedure for the police 'declaring' riots. Is there? So are you ready yet to conclude that said delegated authority does not exist?

I pointed you to the ORS statutes. You asked, I answered. Now you insist on looking in the wrong place and then saying "It doesn't say anything about how police declare a riot" in statues that clearly don't cover police authority period.

It's been pointed out that police in Oregon have authority to enforce laws and arrest people for crimes, and there are laws on the books making riots a crime. Pretty straight forward, even for non lawyers like us. Seems like everyone else has figured it out except for you.

Ted Wheeler. Lori Lightfoot. Jenny Durkan.

3 mayors who won't have any future in politics.

Back
Top Bottom