• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Police chief: Officer's shooting of Wright appears to be an "accidental discharge"

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

Brooklyn Center Police Chief Tim Gannon said that he believed the officer who shot Daunte Wright accidentally drew a handgun instead of a Taser.

"For informational purposes we train with our handguns on our dominant side, and our Taser on our weak side. If you're right-handed you carry your firearm on your right side and your carry your Taser on the left. This is done purposefully, and it's trained. As I watch the video and listen to the officer's commands, it is my belief that the officer had the intention to deploy their Taser, but instead shot Mr. Wright with a single bullet," the chief said.
Gannon said that he believes "this was an accidental discharge, that resulted in a tragic death of Mr. Wright."

Gannon said that he has asked the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Administration to conduct an independent investigation. He said that officer is currently on administrative leave.
=========================================================
Sounds fishy to me. The cop didn't know the difference between his TASER & his service weapon? I think he needs more than retraining, with one Black guy dead.

Maybe cops shouldn't be armed.

Maybe cops shouldn't be armed.

Sublethal weapons for cops is an idea whose time has come. There are all sorts of these. I recall one that covers the suspect in a glue that immobilizes him.

Oh, for chrissakes. A mistake? I don't think I can take the police chief's word for it, and I don't know if I should even if it is completely true.

Humans are prone to err, but there are times when mistakes simply cannot be accepted or excused. Like when you're an airplane pilot, or you're driving a bunch of school kids home.....

.....or you want to point a tazer in someone's face but manage to end up with your gun.

How does this even happen? It's not like they're wearing their gun and taser holsters in different locations every day. As the article states, your weapon goes on your dominant-hand side, and your taser goes on the other. I don't recall ever being confused about which hand was my left and my right, not even during the most debauched college celebration.

Sublethal weapons for cops is an idea whose time has come. There are all sorts of these. I recall one that covers the suspect in a glue that immobilizes him.
Right. Cover them with glue. There's a great idea.

Brooklyn Center Police Chief Tim Gannon said that he believed the officer who shot Daunte Wright accidentally drew a handgun instead of a Taser.

Gannon said that he believes "this was an accidental discharge, that resulted in a tragic death of Mr. Wright."

Gannon said that he has asked the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Administration to conduct an independent investigation. He said that officer is currently on administrative leave.
=========================================================
Sounds fishy to me. The cop didn't know the difference between his TASER & his service weapon? I think he needs more than retraining, with one Black guy dead.
Aren't tasers generally splashed with yellow? Guns are not?

Maybe guns should be neon with flashing lights so that a cop can never again say that they "made a mistake".

Spiderman does quite well with his web shooters...

Back
Top Bottom