• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Police Charged After Violent Arrest Taped

TimmyBoy

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Police Charged After Violent Arrest Taped By MARY FOSTER, Associated Press Writer
53 minutes ago

NEW ORLEANS - Two New Orleans police officers repeatedly punched a 64-year-old man accused of public intoxication, and another city officer assaulted an Associated Press Television News producer as a cameraman taped the confrontations.

ADVERTISEMENT

After being questioned, the three patrolmen were arrested late Sunday and charged with battery. They were released and ordered to appear in court at a later date, Capt. Marlon Defillo said. The officers also were suspended without pay, he added.

"We have great concern with what we saw this morning," Defillo said after he and about a dozen other high-ranking police department officials watched the APTN footage Sunday. "It's a troubling tape, no doubt about it. ... This department will take immediate action."

The assaults come as the department, long plagued by allegations of brutality and corruption, struggles with the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina and the resignation last month of Police Superintendent Eddie Compass.

The APTN tape shows an officer hitting the man at least four times in the head Saturday night as he stood outside a bar near Bourbon Street. The suspect, Robert Davis, appeared to resist, twisting and flailing as he was dragged to the ground by four officers. Another of the four officers then kneed Davis and punched him twice. Davis was face-down on the sidewalk with blood streaming down his arm and into the gutter.

Meanwhile, a fifth officer ordered APTN producer Rich Matthews and the cameraman to stop recording. When Matthews held up his credentials and explained he was working, the officer grabbed the producer, leaned him backward over a car, jabbed him in the stomach and unleashed a profanity-laced tirade.

"I've been here for six weeks trying to keep ... alive. ... Go home!" shouted the officer, who later identified himself as S.M. Smith.

Defillo identified the patrolmen as Stuart Smith, Lance Schilling and Robert Evangelist. Smith is an eight-year veteran of the department, and the other officers have each been on the force for three years, he said.

Police said Davis, 64, of New Orleans, was booked on public intoxication, resisting arrest, battery on a police officer and public intimidation. He was treated at a hospital and released into police custody.

A mug shot of Davis, provided by a jailer, showed him with his right eye swollen shut, an apparent abrasion on the left side of his neck and a cut on his right temple.

"The incidents taped by our cameraman are extremely troubling," said Mike Silverman, AP's managing editor. "We are heartened that the police department is taking them seriously and promising a thorough investigation."

Davis, who is black, was subdued at the intersection of Conti and Bourbon streets. Three of the officers appeared to be white, and the other is light skinned. The officer who hit Matthews is white. Defillo said race was not an issue.

Three of the five officers — including Smith — are New Orleans officers, and two others appeared to be federal officers. Numerous agencies have sent police to help with patrols in the aftermath of Katrina.

Under normal circumstances, it takes unusually offensive behavior to trigger an arrest on Bourbon Street. But New Orleans police have been working under stressful conditions since the hurricane.

Officers slept in their cars and worked 24-hour shifts after the storm. Three-quarters lost their homes and their families are scattered across the country.

"Our police officers are working under some very trying times," Defillo said. "So it's a difficult time, but it doesn't excuse what our jobs are supposed to be."

Many officers deserted their posts in the days after Katrina, and some were accused of joining in the looting that broke out. At least two committed suicide.

Conditions have improved — officers now have beds on a cruise ship — but they don't have private rooms and are still working five, 12-hour days.

Compass, the police superintendent, resigned Sept. 27. Despite more than 10 years of reform efforts dating to before he took office, police were dogged by allegations of brutality and corruption.

On Friday, state authorities said they were investigating allegations that New Orleans police broke into a dealership and made off with nearly 200 cars — including 41 new Cadillacs — as the storm closed in.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051010/ap_on_re_us/new_orleans_taped_beating

I know that the New Orleans Internal Affairs unit is investigating several of their police officers for taking part in looting. I sure do hope they institute some real and meaningful reform in that police department. I have to admit, despite some of the alleged criminal misconduct of some of these officers, I sympathize with police officers in general. They got a really tough job and are always in a situation where they can never win.

TimmyBoy said:
I know that the New Orleans Internal Affairs unit is investigating several of their police officers for taking part in looting. I sure do hope they institute some real and meaningful reform in that police department. I have to admit, despite some of the alleged criminal misconduct of some of these officers, I sympathize with police officers in general. They got a really tough job and are always in a situation where they can never win.

the nazis have control
americans can be rounded up and arrested without probable cause,for any reason
and bush likes to use torture,hes saving that for the last freedom fighters left in america
gitmo usa will be filled
NO police looters,criminals and worse
NO = neocon nazi organizational nightmare

who said "The day you give up one freedom ,is the day we are no longer a free nation"?
not the neocon nazis

Last edited:
Canuck said:
the nazis have control
americans can be rounded up and arrested without probable cause,for any reason
and bush likes to use torture,hes saving that for the last freedom fighters left in america
gitmo usa will be filled
NO police looters,criminals and worse
NO = neocon nazi organizational nightmare

When you are a cop, you have to follow strictly by the law yourself and set a good example. But the problem comes when you have to enforce the law. Is it possible to follow strictly by the law, enforce the law and live to tell about it? Or, do you enforce the law, break a few laws here and their while enforcing the law, because it was necessary to do so, so that you can survive, if you didn't break the laws while enforcing those laws, you wouldn't have survived. And lookie here, somebody with a video camera. Darn, you just can't win. If you follow strictly by the law while enforcing the law you end up dead, if you break a law here and their, because you had to in order to survive, you get caught on video tape. Either way, you're finished and you just can't win.

But yeah, driving off with a few cars is BS, if the New Orleans cops did something like that, they should go down hard for that one.

Nazis? So everyone you disagree with is a Nazi? Canuck? It was wrong fer them to beat up an old man, but not all cops should be labeled as Nazis! Damn. And Bush does not support torture. You probably got that from your Canadian News.

Donkey1499 said:
Nazis? So everyone you disagree with is a Nazi? Canuck? It was wrong fer them to beat up an old man, but not all cops should be labeled as Nazis! Damn. And Bush does not support torture. You probably got that from your Canadian News.

Bush might support torture by flying suspects to Syria or some other Middle East country for interrogation so that he himself cannot be directly implicated in it.

TimmyBoy said:
Bush might support torture by flying suspects to Syria or some other Middle East country for interrogation so that he himself cannot be directly implicated in it.

Explain to me how flying someone to another country is torture. Or were you just joking?

Donkey1499 said:
Explain to me how flying someone to another country is torture. Or were you just joking?

See, American law outlaws torture. But it's not against Syrian law or some other nation's laws to torture somebody during an interrogation. I have heard that Bush got around American law by taking suspects that were in American custody and flying them to countries where it is not against the law to torture during an interrogation. It is a method of getting around American law and supporting torture without being criminally charged for doing so.

TimmyBoy said:
See, American law outlaws torture. But it's not against Syrian law or some other nation's laws to torture somebody during an interrogation. I have heard that Bush got around American law by taking suspects that were in American custody and flying them to countries where it is not against the law to torture during an interrogation. It is a method of getting around American law and supporting torture without being criminally charged for doing so.

Can you prove this THEORY? Cuz I'd like to see the facts.

Donkey1499 said:
Can you prove this THEORY? Cuz I'd like to see the facts.

I could PROVE this "theory" but I think I would just be wasting my time. It was reported in the news sometime ago. It's really old news. Why do you put so much faith and trust in politicans? Don't you know they are crooks, some of the worst crooks in our society? Can't you see and understand that?

TimmyBoy said:
I could PROVE this "theory" but I think I would just be wasting my time. It was reported in the news sometime ago. It's really old news. Why do you put so much faith and trust in politicans? Don't you know they are crooks, some of the worst crooks in our society? Can't you see and understand that?

I know that politicians are crooks, but I'd still like to see proof. OR is it that you can't produce the evidence? All you have to do is direct me to a website and I'll take it from there. You don't have to write all the details out.

Donkey1499 said:
I know that politicians are crooks, but I'd still like to see proof. OR is it that you can't produce the evidence? All you have to do is direct me to a website and I'll take it from there. You don't have to write all the details out.

Of course I can produce the evidence. I don't make statements like this unless I have seen the evidence first, you do understand that right? I have no reason or motive for defaming Bush. This was also reported widely on CNN. I am surprised you didn't hear about this. Here is an article:

http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content?050214fa_fact6

You might also try googling for some of this information yourself. It's pretty easy to find this information, let alone to ask me to find it for you. That's why I am so surprised you didn't know anything about it. It has been widely reported. But then again, if you are a Bush supporter, you might conviently avoid some of these articles or "evidence" that doesn't go along with your support of Bush.

Here is a caption from the article:

"Arar, it turned out, had been sent to Syria on orders from the U.S. government, under a secretive program known as “extraordinary rendition.” This program had been devised as a means of extraditing terrorism suspects from one foreign state to another for interrogation and prosecution. Critics contend that the unstated purpose of such renditions is to subject the suspects to aggressive methods of persuasion that are illegal in America—including torture."

The program to outsource torture to other countries was called "Extraordinary Rendition."

Donkey1499 said:

I did not get it from the canadian news, I got it from watching Fox News. I have seen our president and vice president emulatiing the the world worst Facists. Bush and Cheney obviously think that the way the Nazis treated the Jews, the Poles, the Russians, the Arabs of North Africa, the French etc. Bush and Cheney have decided to start a phoney war with Irag, next with Iran, and North Korea, then maybe Canada. In World War 2 Europe, the Nazis were responsible for close to 230 milliion dead.

Cheney and Bu__ Who? --- forgot his name sorry./// has sworn beat Hitler's record. Bu__ Who?, Cheney, Hitler, Tojo, and Mussolinii are in a strange competion for the worst of the worst.

Bu___ Who??? just has changed the wording so some standard forms of torture are not called torture anymore. Oh the mercenaries that work for the Bush administration, probably make sure that there are no longer video cameras in the prison faciilities they run for Bush and Cheney.

Last edited:
TimmyBoy said:
Police Charged After Violent Arrest Taped By MARY FOSTER, Associated Press Writer
53 minutes ago...

...Davis, who is black, was subdued at the intersection of Conti and Bourbon streets. Three of the officers appeared to be white, and the other is light skinned. The officer who hit Matthews is white. Defillo said race was not an issue.
That part cracks me up...

It's not an issue, but we'll report it anyway to inflame the public...

Kanye West should be there by Tuesday...:roll:

this is perhaps the norm for conservative police officers

TimmyBoy said:
53 minutes ago

NEW ORLEANS - Two New Orleans police officers repeatedly punched a 64-year-old man accused of public intoxication, and another city officer assaulted an Associated Press Television News producer as a cameraman taped the confrontations.

ADVERTISEMENT

After being questioned, the three patrolmen were arrested late Sunday and charged with battery. They were released and ordered to appear in court at a later date, Capt. Marlon Defillo said. The officers also were suspended without pay, he added.

"We have great concern with what we saw this morning," Defillo said after he and about a dozen other high-ranking police department officials watched the APTN footage Sunday. "It's a troubling tape, no doubt about it. ... This department will take immediate action."

The assaults come as the department, long plagued by allegations of brutality and corruption, struggles with the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina and the resignation last month of Police Superintendent Eddie Compass.

The APTN tape shows an officer hitting the man at least four times in the head Saturday night as he stood outside a bar near Bourbon Street. The suspect, Robert Davis, appeared to resist, twisting and flailing as he was dragged to the ground by four officers. Another of the four officers then kneed Davis and punched him twice. Davis was face-down on the sidewalk with blood streaming down his arm and into the gutter.

Meanwhile, a fifth officer ordered APTN producer Rich Matthews and the cameraman to stop recording. When Matthews held up his credentials and explained he was working, the officer grabbed the producer, leaned him backward over a car, jabbed him in the stomach and unleashed a profanity-laced tirade.

"I've been here for six weeks trying to keep ... alive. ... Go home!" shouted the officer, who later identified himself as S.M. Smith.

Defillo identified the patrolmen as Stuart Smith, Lance Schilling and Robert Evangelist. Smith is an eight-year veteran of the department, and the other officers have each been on the force for three years, he said.

Police said Davis, 64, of New Orleans, was booked on public intoxication, resisting arrest, battery on a police officer and public intimidation. He was treated at a hospital and released into police custody.

A mug shot of Davis, provided by a jailer, showed him with his right eye swollen shut, an apparent abrasion on the left side of his neck and a cut on his right temple.

"The incidents taped by our cameraman are extremely troubling," said Mike Silverman, AP's managing editor. "We are heartened that the police department is taking them seriously and promising a thorough investigation."

Davis, who is black, was subdued at the intersection of Conti and Bourbon streets. Three of the officers appeared to be white, and the other is light skinned. The officer who hit Matthews is white. Defillo said race was not an issue.

Three of the five officers — including Smith — are New Orleans officers, and two others appeared to be federal officers. Numerous agencies have sent police to help with patrols in the aftermath of Katrina.

Under normal circumstances, it takes unusually offensive behavior to trigger an arrest on Bourbon Street. But New Orleans police have been working under stressful conditions since the hurricane.

Officers slept in their cars and worked 24-hour shifts after the storm. Three-quarters lost their homes and their families are scattered across the country.

"Our police officers are working under some very trying times," Defillo said. "So it's a difficult time, but it doesn't excuse what our jobs are supposed to be."

Many officers deserted their posts in the days after Katrina, and some were accused of joining in the looting that broke out. At least two committed suicide.

Conditions have improved — officers now have beds on a cruise ship — but they don't have private rooms and are still working five, 12-hour days.

Compass, the police superintendent, resigned Sept. 27. Despite more than 10 years of reform efforts dating to before he took office, police were dogged by allegations of brutality and corruption.

On Friday, state authorities said they were investigating allegations that New Orleans police broke into a dealership and made off with nearly 200 cars — including 41 new Cadillacs — as the storm closed in.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051010/ap_on_re_us/new_orleans_taped_beating

Ima Troll said:
this is perhaps the norm for conservative police officers
I'm sorry...

I just spent some time researching the political affiliations of these officers...you know...the ones whose boss was a Democrat who was picked by a Democratic mayor in a predominantly Democratic city?...

I didn't find out how these officers voted or what their political affiliation was...

Maybe you can either direct me to your souce of this?...Or maybe you can just admit you have none and just threw out partisan rhetoric...

Or maybe you can explain how this is a "norm"...That would include a majority of actions such as this and the political affiliation of the officers who did them...

Your choice...

TimmyBoy said:

It's called rendition and I'm all for it.

cnredd said:
I'm sorry...
no apologies necessary; i forgive you

I just spent some time researching the political affiliations of these officers...you know...the ones whose boss was a Democrat who was picked by a Democratic mayor in a predominantly Democratic city?...
good thing that they had a democratic boss; that must be why they got indicted

I didn't find out how these officers voted or what their political affiliation was...
you can pretty much tell by the level of violence which they displayed; they probably voted for bush

Maybe you can either direct me to your souce of this?...
its in the way that they hit the elderly guy

Or maybe you can just admit you have none and just threw out partisan rhetoric...
nope; conservatives are generally more violent than liberals are

Or maybe you can explain how this is a "norm"...
conservatives have a higher tendency towards violence than liberals do

That would include a majority of actions such as this and the political affiliation of the officers who did them...
violence is pretty frequent among conservatives throughout nearly the entire strain of their political policies

Your choice...
youre free to follow all courses, if youd like; actually, its your choice

TimmyBoy said:
But yeah, driving off with a few cars is BS, if the New Orleans cops did something like that, they should go down hard for that one.

When I saw 3 eye wits . say "they backed up there big suv ,and when they pulled out the muffler was just about touching the curb

I would have to say ,good luck in tracking those cops down .They are somewhere in paradise living it up.

Yes, the police officers did act badly, and definetly should be arrested, but with the mindset of some of the savages, it wouldn't suprise me if they started looting an already decrepit city.

TimmyBoy said:
Of course I can produce the evidence. I don't make statements like this unless I have seen the evidence first, you do understand that right? I have no reason or motive for defaming Bush. This was also reported widely on CNN. I am surprised you didn't hear about this. Here is an article:

http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content?050214fa_fact6

Actually I've never heard of it cuz I don't watch CNN nor do I watch news 24/7. I'm actually watching ESPN or History Channel most of the time. But thanks for the website, I'll look into it later.

dragonslayer said:
I did not get it from the canadian news, I got it from watching Fox News. I have seen our president and vice president emulatiing the the world worst Facists. Bush and Cheney obviously think that the way the Nazis treated the Jews, the Poles, the Russians, the Arabs of North Africa, the French etc. Bush and Cheney have decided to start a phoney war with Irag, next with Iran, and North Korea, then maybe Canada. In World War 2 Europe, the Nazis were responsible for close to 230 milliion dead.

Cheney and Bu__ Who? --- forgot his name sorry./// has sworn beat Hitler's record. Bu__ Who?, Cheney, Hitler, Tojo, and Mussolinii are in a strange competion for the worst of the worst.

Bu___ Who??? just has changed the wording so some standard forms of torture are not called torture anymore. Oh the mercenaries that work for the Bush administration, probably make sure that there are no longer video cameras in the prison faciilities they run for Bush and Cheney.

I don't know what the Hell you're smoking, but it must be some good S***! Cuz you could only dream up :spin: like that in a Fairy Tale. Iran and North Korea need to have their leaders taken out cuz all they do is mistreat their own ppl; and they're a threat to America and other Western societies. But you can keep Canada, it's too cold.

Back
Top Bottom