• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Police Charged After Violent Arrest Taped

If the dude they arrested was honestly not drunk and not even had a drop to drink, then those cops are going to go down pretty hard. If the video shows the full incident and their is no resistance from the subject being arrested, it's not going to be pretty for those cops.

GySgt said:
Hahaha. That was the Wolf Pack (3rd LAR). They were attached to 3rd Battalion Fourth Marines. When that happened, General Mattis (1st Division General) immediately sent word down the chain that the Marines responsible had something to answer to, because he was waiting for heat to come down from higher in the chain. That heat never came. The Marines that did it received no trouble. Marines are Marines.
You Jar Heads are always so gung-ho about shiny shoes and whitewall high-and-tights, yet that went unpunished? I was in the Navy for 5 years (AT3 Shellback), you don't disobey lawful orders and get away with it, no matter how small or insignificant. Disobeying a lawful order during wartime is punishable by death under the UCMJ. Not that I want that to happen to them of course, but I just can't believe they let that go without informal counseling at least. And here I thought Marines follow orders or people die. I can't handle the truth!

GySgt said:
This, of course, was nothing compared to what the National Guard would do later and make us all look bad.
Hehe no argument here. :p

GySgt said:
Why were you embarassed? We were thrilled when we heard that they chained the statue and dragged it down with the help of Iraqi citizens. The flag covering was a brief little shot in the arm.
I was embarrassed for the same reason your Commanding Officers wanted to lower Colors. Because we were supposed to be a liberating force, not an occupying force. The toppling of that statue was for Iraq, not America. I knew right away that a lot of Iraqis wouldn't like it. But it's just a symbology thing, like being a good ambassador for our country and stuff like that. I'm sure it didn't have a huge impact on things, but there are lots of people over there who don't trust us any more than the former USSR, and that little incident didn't exactly help us prove them wrong. The order was a good decision in my opinion, and it should have been followed. But again, it's just a tiny thing compared to everything else. I was just curious. :)

Donkey1499 said:
It's crimes that relate to police brutality. Although the 3 crimes I posted, the claims of police brutality can be questioned, but some groups think that it is police brutality in those 3 crimes. Get where I'm coming from now?

Oh...yeah. Well, it is the general conencus in my circle that if we were there, we would have taken the cops down and placed them under arrest. Then it would have been between our military Chain of Command and the local Mayor.

I think what happened was that the cop that started throwing punches was frustrated at something and lost it. Everyone else just reacted and got his back.

Binary_Digit said:
You Jar Heads are always so gung-ho about shiny shoes and whitewall high-and-tights, yet that went unpunished? I was in the Navy for 5 years (AT3 Shellback), you don't disobey lawful orders and get away with it, no matter how small or insignificant. Disobeying a lawful order during wartime is punishable by death under the UCMJ. Not that I want that to happen to them of course, but I just can't believe they let that go without informal counseling at least. And here I thought Marines follow orders or people die. I can't handle the truth!

Hehe no argument here. :p

I was embarrassed for the same reason your Commanding Officers wanted to lower Colors. Because we were supposed to be a liberating force, not an occupying force. The toppling of that statue was for Iraq, not America. I knew right away that a lot of Iraqis wouldn't like it. But it's just a symbology thing, like being a good ambassador for our country and stuff like that. I'm sure it didn't have a huge impact on things, but there are lots of people over there who don't trust us any more than the former USSR, and that little incident didn't exactly help us prove them wrong. The order was a good decision in my opinion, and it should have been followed. But again, it's just a tiny thing compared to everything else. I was just curious. :)

The order was followed. Some Marined just got over zealous and screwed up. No harm done. It was one of those things. In the words of General Mattis..."My fine young Marines, if your obnoxious hearts are in the right place, don't worry about screwing up. We'll deal with it later."

GySgt said:
The order was followed. Some Marined just got over zealous and screwed up.
Isn't that an oxymoron? Seems like a different kind of Corps than when I was in, hehe!

I think that the fact remains that whether the man was intoxicated or not, the level of force used in the incident was truly over the top. I thought it was quite interesting to see the officer on the horse trying to shield the view of the photographer from the scene. If nothing was being done wrong, then what was needing to be hid?

I understand that tensions are at an all time high after the wake of Katrina, but law enforcement officials must keep in mind that EVERYONE in New Orleans is a victim in one way or another and that publicity like this is that last thing that their department needs.

It was only 3 or 4 cops that did this. So the whole department shouldn't take any heat from this. Except that I know the MSM will blow this case WAY out of proportion.

Donkey1499 said:
It was only 3 or 4 cops that did this. So the whole department shouldn't take any heat from this. Except that I know the MSM will blow this case WAY out of proportion.

I agree, but you have to begin to wonder when you look at the past history of the department and how many complaints they have had about excessive force, racism, etc. what the problem seems to be. This case, although unfortunate and commited by a handful of bad seeds, may have shed light on a much bigger on-going problem.

getinvolved said:
I agree, but you have to begin to wonder when you look at the past history of the department and how many complaints they have had about excessive force, racism, etc. what the problem seems to be. This case, although unfortunate and commited by a handful of bad seeds, may have shed light on a much bigger on-going problem.

One could also say that the higher-ups are to blame for not handing out enough discipline to their officers.

Donkey1499 said:
One could also say that the higher-ups are to blame for not handing out enough discipline to their officers.

Absolutely. This incident shines light on a much larger departmental problem than these four or five officers. The automatic response from other officers to attempt to cover up the wrong-doing of their fellow officers is certinaly just as alarming.

It is difficult to say what will happen beyond this point, but I certinaly hope that this issue is looked at on the broad scale rather than just as an isolated incident.

If he was indeed drunk and resisting arrest(no weapons though), was still ok to beat him? If cops are this stressed out why isn't the department taking them off the street?

This is exactly why policemen have such a bad name, idiots like these.

It used to be a very regarded profession, one where only a certain type of individual need apply. Now, they will accept any sawed off bastard with a power trip, sad.

scottyz said:
If he was indeed drunk and resisting arrest(no weapons though), was still ok to beat him? If cops are this stressed out why isn't the department taking them off the street?

In the tape by the time the officers assualted the man, he was not resisting arrest. If he was, it was so slight that it was unable to be seen on the tape and clearly not warrenting the response of the police. AS far as taking the police off the streets, the demand and the suply are so vastly disproportionate that the department has little schoice at this point.

What a terrible situation.

Binary_Digit said:
Isn't that an oxymoron? Seems like a different kind of Corps than when I was in, hehe!

No.. The order was Marine Corps wide and some Marines screwed up. Marines are very bold in the things that they do. Seems an awful silly thing for you to be getting twisted around the axle here.

scottyz said:

Gee, I don't know...maybe because of this....

"First came word that as many as 250 officers may have abandoned their posts after the storm. Those charged with desertion are likely to face hearings later this month. At least 13 officers are being investigated for looting, including taking Cadillacs from a car dealership. Late last month, police Superintendent Eddie Compass abruptly announced his retirement."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20051011/ts_usatoday/labeatingraisesnewsecurityissues

GySgt said:
Gee, I don't know...maybe because of this....

"First came word that as many as 250 officers may have abandoned their posts after the storm. Those charged with desertion are likely to face hearings later this month. At least 13 officers are being investigated for looting, including taking Cadillacs from a car dealership. Late last month, police Superintendent Eddie Compass abruptly announced his retirement."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20051011/ts_usatoday/labeatingraisesnewsecurityissues

So why doesn't the department hire people from the private sector like everyone else is doing? The end result from not taking them off the streets was that the cops got taken off the street anyways and generated lots of bad publicity in the process.

Back
Top Bottom